Its been quite a while since I updated on this project. Mostly due to winter and the fact that I have several projects going at all times because I guess I like the stress.
In any case, the boat has had a few outings and is working well. I had to richen up the carbs a touch. Probably from the modification I had to do to the water box. I wired up a few items to the dash and also put start stop buttons in the dash that work and look similar to the normal yamaha controls.
This is is a concept made from some marine plywood I had laying around. Its taller than it needs to be but that allows me to hinge it in a way that I can flip it all the way out of the boat for service. I think Ill sink a storage locker in the back of it where theres extra room. I feel like it should be aluminum in the end but Im not sure. I may cover it with material and run it or perhaps use it as a mold for fiberglass. For now its there and helps cut down the noise which still is pretty high. Comments welcome.
I slowly went over a really big log last year and cracked my steering nozzle last year. Lucky that was the only thing. I knew I needed a skid and that confirmed it. A friend of mine has a tube bender so we made this hoop under the pump. So far its been doing the trick. 1.5" x .125 wall tube.
Here's a couple vids of the thing in action.
Theres room almost everywhere under the hood for foam. The wood is 1/2" so if I used it to mold 1/8" aluminum or fiberglass there would be even more room. I'm getting tempted to cover the wood with grey vinyl and commit to it but.......... Aluminum would be cool. The only reason I even bothered at all with the wood is because I had it laying around.
I like the wood. You could even do a layer of two of glass over the wood to seal it up and finish it off. Aluminum would be nice and clean but it wouldn't do anything for sound deadening. In fact, I bet it makes the problem even worse.
My mig is the ESAB EM215 ic so it has a more basic control panel and is not multi process. In short, for the price I am fairly happy with it. By now I have found I probably should have bought the 235. I have almost exclusively welded aluminum using .035 alcotec wire. For this project it was maxed out or near max a lot. It came with a longer whip than most hobby machines which I liked and had a good sale rebate. While using the whip with smooth rollers and a teflon liner to weld .035 wire I found feed inconsistent and was getting burn back a lot. I switched to their spool gun and feed became consistent enough to weld with spray arc. I haven't used it for steel yet enough to comment on that. I wish it has pre and post gas flow time adjustment or at least longer duration. I think this would be a a great welder for most home gamers. I would however recommend the bigger 235 for a project like this. Also the new AC/ DC Miller multi machine looks like a nice rig.