750 electrical advice

Joined
May 5, 2019
Likes
0
Location
lodi
#1
Hi everyone. I have a very clean 1996 Kawasaki 750 sxi. I have fixed numerous things on this ski and my starter went out recently and I used amazon and got a new stater and installed it. The positive terminal on the starter was damaged and had a short and created an internal ground. As I completed the job I was not aware of the ground and hooked up the battery. As soon as I barley touched the ground wire to the battery an abundant amount of sparks emerged and I knew something was not right. I located the short at the starter and fixed that. From the short in the starter I burnt through the ground wire slightly in a couple spots from the stater to the ground post in the ebox. I replaced the wire and Now everything is assembled correctly I attempt to hook up the battery to the ski and it immediately begins to crank and try to startwhile I have the start and stop buttons completely disabled and not hooked up. Does anyone know where to start?
 
Joined
Jan 12, 2013
Likes
2,064
Location
the jetski grave yard
#2
sounds like the starter solenoid is either bad and making a constant connection inside it, or the wires that actuate it are making a connection , actuating it.
if you open the box and disconnect the red wire to the solenoid, it wont crank unless its internally bad.
trouble shooting 101
 
Joined
May 5, 2019
Likes
0
Location
lodi
#3
sounds like the starter solenoid is either bad and making a constant connection inside it, or the wires that actuate it are making a connection , actuating it.
if you open the box and disconnect the red wire to the solenoid, it wont crank unless its internally bad.
trouble shooting 101
if the solenoid is good will it crank with the red wire disconnected from it.
 
Joined
May 5, 2019
Likes
0
Location
lodi
#4
I gave it a try. I took the red wire that does threw the fuse like you said and still get the same result. immidialitly touched the batter cable to the battery and it begins to crank
 
Joined
Nov 1, 2011
Likes
117
Location
Cape Town
#5
If your original starter got toasted due to an internal short ( thats why you bought an new one) then its highly likely that the solenoid lugs have welded the internal link due to the huge current that flowed through it, creating your problem....measure the resistance on the solenoid terminals (disconnect the red cables first)....if its o ohms...its blown....get a new one
 
Top Bottom