Update since it's been a while that I've posted. Build is still on, just was put on pause for a couple months. Built a new 760 SJ to ride this winter then started working 7x13's at work for a month. Just done with that and taking the family to Disney for a week next week so hopefully mid Dec I'll be back on it. The piping is welded up, I just need to install and then put in the thru hull. Also thinking of trying a Canam Maverick X3 turbo intake manifold... It MIGHT fit. Otherwise, I'll just build my own. Hard stuff is done, just lots of tedious work left
Been having so much going on between work, family and other smaller projects the last couple months but time to finally get this thing finished. Things I got accomplished this weekend:
used a dremel tool to put some fine touches on the v-band flanges - they are the vbands that have a male & female side and the heat from welding had them not wanting to fit together by the least bit.
clocked compressor on the turbo to the position it will be ran in
fabricated the rest of the exhaust piping after the "hump". After the hump is non jacketed but I have water injecting into it
welded in 3 bungs for the water injection - long straight piece of the downpipe
machined a water injection distribution block. Water will come from the last fitting on the jacketed portion of turbo piping - 3, 1/4" outlets will get injected into downpipe to help quiet it down some and also have some water before the coupler at the thru hull - a 4th fitting will be on a "pisser". I will have a jetworx restrictor where theres just a tiny bit of water going out the pisser and 90% of the water going into the downpipe. Main reason I want a pisser for the exhaust piping is so I can always know its flowing.
Will have an intake manifold on it come Tuesday and I will know exactly what parts to order to fit the intercooler. I have a good idea for how I want the IC routed. Will take up minimal room, have minimal piping to and from IC and take up some empty space, which isn't very easy to come by in this blaster hull! Here's some pics
Intake manifold retrofitted from a side by side and puts throttle body at the rear instead of out the front - minimizes Intercooler piping needed
Intercooler received and test fit
Machined a drive adapter last week to go from Spark splines to a Yamaha oversized billet coupler
Driveline is 90% complete. I changed the way I was going to do the midshaft which ended up giving me less room than I needed to use the adapter. Ended up just mounting the midshaft housing to the rear of the firewall. Midshaft is basically done but I will be putting in a new bearing and new seals. Just need to stab pump & driveshaft to see how much of the splines have engagement.
Things to do on the short list:
Fabricate billet throttle body mount
Check driveshaft spline engagement
Machine insert for a blank midshaft housing that will center alignment tool
Mill hole in Intercooler & weld in BOV mount
Fabricate lots of brackets to support Turbo/piping & IC
Pickup some NPT/Barb fittings & heater hose
Find a 5" or longer 2.5 to 1.75 silicone reducer coupler. I can only find them in 3" length right now
Evan with GRF Racing is taking care of my Motec ECU right now so when I get it back I plan to fab a mount that goes on top of the intake manifold
Got a little bit done over the break. Milled a hole into the IC for the BOV mount to drop in. Also machined a billet throttle body mount. It's stronger but I also needed a way to adapt the spark throttle body to a maverick intake manifold.... the maverick and spark intake mani have different sized inlets.
Theres a couple days worth of misc work to be done and then just do final assembly/alignment - maybe get a custom driveshaft made once I pull measurements. Main holdup has been my Motec ECU. The guy I got it from sold it to me saying it was "fully unlocked with all optional extras". Well that has not been the case. #1 the motec harness he sold me has shorts in it and does not even work. I had to send everything off to a Motec dealer to go through everything. Just spent another $550 to get a brand new harness so that's on its way. 2nd, the ECU does not have all optional extras - it has the basic logging package which is all I need but still... its the principle. AND to top it off, the ECU was not even "unlocked". The firmware could not even be updated and could not load any other maps into it because you needed a password just to get into the ecu which the guy had no idea what the password was. Took some time to get the clearing license from Motec to wipe the ecu and start fresh. The turbo spark map has been uploaded to it/injectors set. So now I will be waiting for the new harness to come in. If I can get some time in the near future I will start with final assembly and the misc brackets needed.
The top deck was removed and set aside. I still have it and will run a seal with multiple fasteners around the hull to attach top deck
Thanks guys, I am real close to doing a startup... just a few small things to finish.... turbo support, painting inside the hull and a good final assembly. I will still have to secure top deck back on and install gauge into the hood too. This project has gone on alot longer than I would like but I do not work on it as frequent as I'd ideally like to. If I don't have 3+hrs to devote and fully focus, I don't even mess with it. All the electronics are ready.... ID 1000 injectors, brand new motec harness, Motec ecu has turbo spark map loaded on it, I got an iBr delete setup from Dashpac solutions, new O2 sensor.... pretty much just need to plug and play for electronics. When I get more work to show, I will post some pics.... hopefully even a vid