650/X-2 X2 vs SJ: A side by side...

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I now own a SJ and a X2. In addition, I have several X2 hulls, and EightySeven550 loaned me a SJ hull to play with for a few months.

(see post 2 for conclusions)

This gives me the opportunity to compare 2 very popular boats side by side. I did my best to provide any of you looking to do some work on your X2 the same opportunity I have. It was very hard to measure, especially while taking pictures by myself. These are in no way exact, they are for reference only.

NOTE: in all of these pictures of the 2 skis side by side, the noses are ligned up as best possible, so the difference in overall length is shown in the backs. In case you are wondering why the nose looks weird on the X2, it's because it has the remnants of the origional Tom21 tubbies (if you dig them, contact him, he made an awsome mold and has a reasonable price on some custom made X2 tubbies.)

Side by side comparison.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Estimated differences in steering location
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Measurements for steering from the noses
attachment.php

attachment.php

X2 13", 16" and 20" from the nose
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

SJ 13", 16" and 20" from the nose
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

X2 bond rail
attachment.php

SJ bond rail
attachment.php

X2 pump
****IMPORTANT EDIT**** 7/15/12
The pump pictures were taken on a CUT/SHORTENED X2 hull. These are not of the same hull as the other pictures. Note the missing stern eye and the location of the rear ride plate mounting locations relative to the rear of the hull.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

SJ pump
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Engine Compartments
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Here are a few observations.

Looking at the 2 skis side by side, they look very similar. The bond rail on the X2 is just a tad lower, until the fron 1/4 of the ski where it gets higher, finishing a few inches higher than the SJ.

The X2 and the SJ are about the same length. HOWEVER, the X2's bond rail IS the bottom deck. This means that while the physical length of the 2 skis is almost identical, the SJ is about 2-3" shorter in length when considering what is physically in contant with the water. This explains why many X2 Surf riders are so adament about shortening the X2 by 2-3". (as a side note, I noticed the other day all 4 of my different X2 ride plates slope down as they go back, which puts increased pressure on the nose, supporting the need to D-cut, or further shorted, the X2 ride plates).

The SJ has a 2" bond rail, and the X2 has a 1" bond rail. The SJ and the X2 are the same physical width (almost, the X2 is wider), however, the SJ hull is actually narrower than the X2 when considering the area in contact with the water, making the X2 considerably wider.

The steering is much futher forward on the X2, distributing a great deal of rider weight onto the forward part of the ski (anyone who rides a fixed steer doesn't need it mentioned that the lower bar height forces a hunched riding position that multiplies rider weigth in addition to the forward location). The differences are about 20" (SJ down), 16" (SJ nuetral), and 8" (SJ high).

On the nose of the ski, looking at where the outer potion of the ski slopes up to the nose, the SJ slopes up about 12" sooner than the X2. This is what makes the X2 have such a flat nose shape. The SJ sloping up 12" sooner allows for a gradual progression of the outer edge of the nose, whereas the X2 has a very fast curve resulting in a flattened and blunt shape.

What I was very surprised to note was the differences in the engine compartments, or rather, lack of difference... The X2 has a bearing housing located about 3" more forward compared to the SJ, however, I am not too sure that is very relivent. We know the X2 motor is mounting forward compared to the SJ motor, but this is only a few inches (I didn't have a reference in my empty hulls, and didn't think to measure my complete skis, i will check later).

Now that the obvious differences of the engine compartment are out of the way, we can compare some other measurements. Measuring from the backmost area of the X2 hood seal, The SJ is about 20" (including the seal) and 22" at the inner bond rail, while the X2 is 21" and over 23" at the inner bond rail. Measuring from the forward most area of the X2 hood seal, the SJ is under 20" (including the hood seal) and 20" at the inner bond rail, while the X2 is 19" and 22" at the inner bond rail.

What am I getting at with all that engine compartment babble? That the engine compartments are very similar in size. The size of the X2 is deceptive because the hull curves inwards above the bond rail as you move forward in the compartment, but the wider X2 hull combined with the straighter bond rail compared to the hood seal on the X2, means that 2 compartments are almost the same size (when comparing closer to the bond rails). Naturally, the X2 has a much smaller actual useable space due to the motor being more forwards, but the width is unaffected.

As for pumps. The SJ has a 5" pump shoe, is 6" wide and 14.5" long (from the slope of the intake to the front of the pump (not shoe)). The X2 has a 4.5" shoe, is about 5.5" wide and is 14" long (from the beginning of the up slope). What does this mean?? I really have no idea. But I would venture to say they are similar enough that converting a X2 to a SJ pump would be plenty fine.

Lastly, this part refers to the motor mount locations. Not very relivent, but since I looked at them, I figured I would share. The SJ mounts are about 16.5" wide by 13.5" long (measure by the furthest mounting bolts, while the X2 mounts are 15" wide by 11" long (measure the same). Relivance? none I know, unless you want to put in new mounts for a Yamaha motor.

Last edited:

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
So are you gonna get off that antique your riding and come over to the dark side!

Define the dark side. I have a 2004 SJ. There are pictures of it and references to it in this thread. I own two skis now.

Edit: Dark enough for you? =) She needs paint and some clean up of some corrosion, but is otherwise a very clean ski. All stock, very reliable. Super fun to ride, but much slower than the X2 (but a LOT lighter)
DSC_0608.jpg

Now that we have the standard "buy a SJ" talk covered, we can talk X2. =)

Last edited:

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I didn't weigh the 2 stripped hulls in the pics.

The weight b/t my SJ and my X2 is at least 50 pounds, if not more. It's very heavy in compairison. If you look at my build thread, and see the mods on the nose of my ski, you'll understand why. I also didn't do anything with the foam, so it may be wet.

That's why a fixed steer SJ is so much fun. It's like a X2 with a better hull design.

The weight isn't that far off. You X2 must be water logged.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
That's why a fixed steer SJ is so much fun. It's like a X2 with a better hull design.

The weight isn't that far off. You X2 must be water logged.

It shouldn't be, but it is. I think some of it is water, but a bunch of it is glass. I did a nose fill, added Tom21 tubbies, moved my battery under the seat. Etc. That's why I've kept exra hulls. I knew after I was done trying out things it was going to be a turd.

Top Bottom