650/X-2 winter x2 build

Finished pictures page #11

So I started my winter build today. Didn't get to far but I have some starting pictures and a few more.

My plan:

-Fill gas cover
-chop hood
-move steering back 4.5 inchs
-add 1 inch to steering stem
-do a fuel tank under the seat
-trim front off
-trim 3" off back
-750 1 over bore porting/polishing
-westcoast pipe
-dual 46 red top sbn's
-rear exhaust

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0129.jpg
    IMG_0129.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 2,726
  • IMG_0130.jpg
    IMG_0130.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 2,564
Last edited:
DAY 1

So I got the whole ski apart and got it all stripped and torn down. I started sanding it down but ran out of dh pads. Can any one tell me what the best way to prep for fiberglass is?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0148.jpg
    IMG_0148.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 2,573
  • IMG_0149.jpg
    IMG_0149.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 2,602

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Sand down to the fiberglass with something heavy like 80, 60, 40 grit. Glass sticks much better to glass than it does to gelcoat, paint, w/e. Roughing it up with a heavy grit paper increases surface area for the bond.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
The X2 steering moves the rider forward, and the low fixed steer moves rider weight off their legs and onto their shoulders, which furthers that forward weight shift. It makes the front of the ski very heavy compared to the stand ups. This thread has a comparison of a SJ and a X2, scroll down about half way the 1st post and theres pics of the SJ compared to the X2 steering, http://www.x-h2o.com/threads/102399-X2-vs-SJ-A-side-by-side... and that difference doesn't include the weight of the rider leaning into the bars the whole time.

Also, his bar rise will allow the rider to stand taller. Less weight on the shoulders means less weight on the nose and less rider fatigue.

Day 2

I had a very successful day! I moved the steering back 5.125 inchs. Got it all connected. I trimmed 3 inchs off the back of the ski. I also trimmed the front edge off the ski. Finally I cut out everything from under the seat. Tomorrow I plan on finishing all the cutting and put foam to start shaping out where all my glass will go. I bought a set of dual 46 sbn red tops the other day. I was wondering if anyone could give me some back round on them and how they will do for low end on a 750? Also looking for a 750 motor, if any one has one let me know.

[h=1]
attachment.php
attachment.php
[/h]
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Where I cut the scoop out That is just a piece of paper sitting there. thats why it looks a little wavy.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0151[1].jpg
    IMG_0151[1].jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 2,503
  • IMG_0153[1].jpg
    IMG_0153[1].jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 2,503
  • IMG_0154[1].jpg
    IMG_0154[1].jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 2,505
  • IMG_0155[1].jpg
    IMG_0155[1].jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_0156[1].jpg
    IMG_0156[1].jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 2,494
  • IMG_0157[1].jpg
    IMG_0157[1].jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 2,519
  • IMG_0160[1].jpg
    IMG_0160[1].jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 2,516
  • IMG_0161[1].jpg
    IMG_0161[1].jpg
    34 KB · Views: 2,472
  • IMG_0162[1].jpg
    IMG_0162[1].jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 2,507
  • IMG_0163[1].jpg
    IMG_0163[1].jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 2,478
looking good.. This is what mine looks like after all done just have to hydro-turf it. And a few pics of the water box I built to go where the battery was. Picture 16942.jpgPicture 16943.jpgPicture 16956.jpgPicture 16958.jpgPicture 16960.jpg

You dont have any of the tubing left over do you that i could buy from you? i got some good stuff done today. i will take some pics and post them here in a hour or so and post them.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
You dont have any of the tubing left over do you that i could buy from you? i got some good stuff done today. i will take some pics and post them here in a hour or so and post them.

I bought an Outlaw Racing bar riser for my YFZ450 similar to the link I posted below. There are other cheaper options avail but they have less adjustability. There are also other risers that have more adjustability and even dampners in them but are much more expensive. In any case, it may be a much more simple solution for you. Take the X2 steering with you to your local shop and see if something fits. They use dirt bike bars and are aluminum so they should work just fine. However, they are probably not annodized, so you might want to have that done if they are not.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Outlaw-Raci...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item564679540f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-8-bar-ris...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item415e7ade59

I bought an Outlaw Racing bar riser for my YFZ450 similar to the link I posted below. There are other cheaper options avail but they have less adjustability. There are also other risers that have more adjustability and even dampners in them but are much more expensive. In any case, it may be a much more simple solution for you. Take the X2 steering with you to your local shop and see if something fits. They use dirt bike bars and are aluminum so they should work just fine. However, they are probably not annodized, so you might want to have that done if they are not.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Outlaw-Raci...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item564679540f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-8-bar-ris...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item415e7ade59

I will look in to that idea a little more. I think I want to try leedesigns148 handle bar riser set up first but thank you for the idea it will be a back up. I mainly want a different steering stem for looks. I really want my ski to look clean when I get done with this.

So I am starting to plan out paint ideas. I have two ideas that are on the top so far. The first is have the whole ski painted in a metallic brighter burnt orange with black turf in the foot trays and rails. Second Idea would be a white paint job with orange and purple flames with purple turf. If I can figure out how to change a pdf to a jpg I have a draw up of idea two.

What do you guys think on paint job? I kind of like idea two because it would match our magic power boat. But I want to do showers and I am thinking that the orange would be easier to touch up than muiltiple tone flames. If anyone has any ideas please let me know!

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
If I can figure out how to change a pdf to a jpg I have a draw up of idea two.

File > Save as... under where you type in the file name, it says file type. Select .jpg from the drop down menu. Adjusting the file size will alter the save quality and size of the jpg. I was usually happy with about 1/3 - 3/4 right on the slide bar.

As for paint, it's whatever you want. I understand the desire to match your boat, however, you wont likely have the boat out on the water with the ski, or hual them together. Unless this is the case, do something else you like better. Don't forget if you ride surf with a helmet to consider painting your helmet when you pain your ski.

Here is a draw out of idea two. I have pretty much decided to do a solid orange now but Im going to put it up to see what everyone thinks.

attachment.php

LOOKING FOR 750!! Let me know if you have one for a good deal!

Attachments

• Austin Jet Ski.jpg
    Austin Jet Ski.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 2,437
Day 3

So today I shaved all the foam to shape there are a few stops that still need a little bit more foam. For the most part I am about ready to start glassing over every thing.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0166[1].jpg
    IMG_0166[1].jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 2,411
  • IMG_0165[1].jpg
    IMG_0165[1].jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 2,406
  • IMG_0167[1].jpg
    IMG_0167[1].jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 2,399
  • IMG_0168[1].jpg
    IMG_0168[1].jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 2,393
  • IMG_0169[1].jpg
    IMG_0169[1].jpg
    38 KB · Views: 2,397
  • IMG_0170[1].jpg
    IMG_0170[1].jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 2,398
  • IMG_0171[1].jpg
    IMG_0171[1].jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 2,398
  • IMG_0172[1].jpg
    IMG_0172[1].jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 2,411
  • IMG_0173[1].jpg
    IMG_0173[1].jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 2,370
  • IMG_0174[1].jpg
    IMG_0174[1].jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 2,389

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Be careful with your seat area. You cut out the lip on the side. You might not be able to fit the stock seat on if you glass the way it looks like you have the foam.

Also, did you remove the fiberglass under the seat? There's a white line that looks like you didn't remove all the glass? Not sure what you did as I can't see under the foam, but what I'm getting at is that if you are going to do that under the seat remove all the old glass because it's heavier than the foam.

Is that PVC a scupper or your exhaust? You can use PVC for exhaust, but it's much better to use aluminum or stainless. However unlikely, it is possible a backfire in the exhaust could crack or otherwise damage the PVC.

Styling looks nice.

Top Bottom