Other GoPro or This Camera???

btmboards

Brett
I have never used or seen it used. looks like it has some real good shooting modes that would come in handy and possibly an adjustable fov which would be great, that is one thing I wish the gopro had. The price is right and its cool that it has the built in rear screen. Only real issue I see is that I would not want to mount it on a helmet. The gopro already bugs me sometimes the way it little bit of weight pulls my helmet around and that one is at least twice the size of it. Also I like have the case around the gopro so if something happens I can just replace the case instead of the whole camera.

btmboards

Brett
Also check out the Dirtbike video that shows up at the end of the video you posted. The video isn't nearly as smooth as with the gopro. Almost makes you noxious watching it

I have never used or seen it used. looks like it has some real good shooting modes that would come in handy and possibly an adjustable fov which would be great, that is one thing I wish the gopro had. The price is right and its cool that it has the built in rear screen. Only real issue I see is that I would not want to mount it on a helmet. The gopro already bugs me sometimes the way it little bit of weight pulls my helmet around and that one is at least twice the size of it. Also I like have the case around the gopro so if something happens I can just replace the case instead of the whole camera.

Good points thanks.

I have a gopro I got around the holidays from woot for $135, and I have a contour roam I got at the same time from amazon for $90. I also have an oregon scientific sd. the quality of the gopro and the contour are very similar, gopro may have a little better color. the contour is much better for mounting on a helmet, because of the size and it mounts on its side. also it has a large slide switch on top, forward is on/record, back is off. very easy to use on the fly even with gloves on. the drawback to the roam is that the mounts are more expensive. it does have a tripod mount on the bottom. big plus there for me, you can make your own mounts. the gopro mounts are so much cheaper and have more variations, I bought a mount for the roam that allows me to use it with the gopro mounts. If you wanted to use the contour in a harsh wet environment, they recommend you buy the waterproof case. I would use the Gopro.
the last two times that woot has had a wootoff, they have had the gopro hero hd for $135, but they went in less than ten minutes.

Last edited:
I use a go pro and contour hd for a few years now. personally I'd say get a contour , very easy to turn on and off and if youre handy the 1/4 thread is easy to make all sorts of custom mounts, or just use standard photography mounts.

Waternut

Customizing addict
I have the HD GoPro and it's miles above the old GoPro that I had. The older ATC's were awful and made me queasy just watching them.

That said, the new ATC9K seems to have pretty good video and stability. I won't say it's up with Gopro but it's a lot better than it was. I noticed immediately watching videos that the ATC9K has terrible sound quality! Motorcycles and jetski's sound like million of small animals are being murdered. The Gopro is far far better. It may not sound like it would in person but it also doesn't make you want to stop watching either. For jetskiing, Gopro, hands down IMO. For mountain biking, I think the ATC9K has some awesome features like G forces, GPS tracking, altimeter, and integration into google maps or google earth that might make it a valid candidate.

Check out the ATC9K features in this video. Also note how obnoxious the sound is...

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got the new gopro 2 for christmas and my friend has the hd scentific one. I would save the money and get a go pro any day of the week. The go pro has great mounts and in my opinion it is alot more durable and Its seams to be more quality than the other one.

Its all about the surf!
Never used an Oregon Scientific so I can't comment on it. I did just get one of the new Gopro HD2's for Christmas and it's the shiz-nit! Everything that wasn't so good about the older Gopro's has been fixed. The footage is superb, with a 32 gb sd card, it can film HD video for several hours and it comes with a lithium ion battery. The HD2 also has different lens settings so you can still film in Fisheye mode or you can set it to film in regular mode. Check my last vid for quality, it was filmed entirely with the Gopro HD2

http://www.x-h2o.com/threads/106037-Oceanside-Moto-surf-1-11-12

Waternut

Customizing addict
Never used an Oregon Scientific so I can't comment on it. I did just get one of the new Gopro HD2's for Christmas and it's the shiz-nit! Everything that wasn't so good about the older Gopro's has been fixed. The footage is superb, with a 32 gb sd card, it can film HD video for several hours and it comes with a lithium ion battery. The HD2 also has different lens settings so you can still film in Fisheye mode or you can set it to film in regular mode. Check my last vid for quality, it was filmed entirely with the Gopro HD2

http://www.x-h2o.com/threads/106037-Oceanside-Moto-surf-1-11-12

I'll second that. I don't have the HD2 but at 720p, I was blown away by the clarity and smoothness of my new gopro HD. Just as a quick note, when you view a 1080 or 720 video on youtube or viemo, that video looks nothing like what it looks like on the computer with the file. You even lose quality when you make the video a dvd... It's pretty amazing.

Top Bottom