Super Jet I give up... Solas pump help PLEASE

SXR-FOREVER

Finally Flippin
Alright here is the deal. I bought a solas pump and put it all together and came to realize that the shaft is sitting about 1/4" too far forward which means my midshaft will not seat against the bulk head.

Known:

-the shaft is 26 1/8" long which is the same as a stock shaft
-it worked in a stock pump just fine (took it out of the same ski 24 hours before I put the new pump together)
-everything is pressed together correctly (ie if it wasn't the shaft would be too short if anything)

There are really only two possibilities I can come up with:

1) something was machined wrong with the pump
2) the bearing surfaces are not right on the shaft BUT if this was the case how could it have worked on a stock pump?

If someone has a solas pump and wants to measure how far the back of the shaft sticks out past the surface the pump cone sits on that would be awesome (see picture 2)

If someone has a driveshaft out and can measure from the surface the impeller stops on to the end spline end of the driveshaft that would also be awesome (see picture 3)

here are pictures...

Comparing it to a stock pump you can see a 1/4 or so difference in length..
IMG_20120404_175122.jpg

Here is the surface I need a measurement from
IMG_20120404_163413-1.jpg

Here is about how far the back of the driveshaft sticks out
IMG_20120404_175035.jpg

Here is how everything else sits which is just how its suppose to...
IMG_20120404_162952.jpg

IMG_20120404_163508.jpg

RMBC Freeride

Vintage
Site Supporter
Interesting... I am having the same problem with the solas 144 on my superfreak! I thought it was the hull causing the problem, but your post makes me think it is the pump????

More input needed from other solas pump installs... please!

RMBC Freeride

Vintage
Site Supporter
Mine is easily that much as well. Not nearby to measure it. Seem to remember it being 2 3/8" from the mounting surface (not the recessed area)

I just pressed mine together, and now you've got me freaking out. I haven't put it in the ski yet (impeller is at Impros), but here's how mine is:

- impeller seating surface looks to be pretty darn near flush with the front face of the pump, maybe sunken a bit.
- from pump cone seating surface to end of the shaft is right about 0.3".

You sure your midshaft didn't get pushed back somehow?

Hope that helps...

Last edited:
... Mine was ''plug and play '' ?? I say knock yours back apart and measure it . At this point it can only be one of two things either your not all the way in the pump with the bearings or the pump is machined wrong .... im betting on the first one !

SXR-FOREVER

Finally Flippin
I just pressed mine together, and now you've got me freaking out. I haven't put it in the ski yet (impeller is at Impros), but here's how mine is:

- impeller seating surface looks to be pretty darn near flush with the front face of the pump.
- from pump cone seating surface to end of the shaft is right about 0.3".

You sure your midshaft didn't get pushed back somehow?

Hope that helps...

Yeah mine was .3" from the back too.

the midshaft is where it should be, ~20mm from the back of the housing, plus you can see from the comparison to the stock set up that its way longer

Does your midshaft seat?

raytherace

Canadian Brapp Dealer
then what the hell. Any chance you can get me a measurement of how far your midshaft sticks out the back of the housing? mine was around 20mm.

the midshaft housing is made like a bushing and its flexible, but 20mm between the bulk head and the housing is really too much IMO. Me i have like 2 or 3mm max

Polish jet pilot

4aces4aces4aces4aces4aces
I think it must be a simple problem such as the shaft not going all the way into the midshaft... you can extend the 20mm a bit or decrease it... give it a few hammers and should slide in..no way the pump is machined wrong... IMO... but who knows..

SXR-FOREVER

Finally Flippin
I understand that it seems weird...but the comparison to the stock setup ( pumps right next to eachother ) clearly shows that the shaft is longer in the first picture.

Top Bottom