650/X-2 Onyx G1, Sponsored in part by Tom21

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
This is a teaser of the X2 project I have been working on for the last several months. It has been partially sponsored by Tom21. I have spent the last several years working out this build, and 100+ hours over the last few months making it happen. Tom21 has been very supportive providing counsel and guidance for my work as I improve my composites skills, as well as reviewing my plans to make sure everything will function properly. I've done all the work myself by hand, with the exception of the Tom21 sponsons which were installed with his assistance. Tom21 is a great guy who wants to show his support for the X2 community.

This is by no means the final result. A lot more time and love will go into the boat before it is complete. It GPS'ed out at 50mph and got there in a hurry. I was water testing my trim and steering system, hood seal and other components.

I think I lost my crank yesterday. You can see the ski die and if you turn up the sound you can hear some horrible sounds. This is the original 1994 crank, which has been under water many times and sitting for over a year. It probably has 200 hours on it and 5 more since I started testing my hull. I still have good compression, the motor still runs and the plugs are black. I haven't had the motor apart yet but I'm guessing the crank was over due.

Also a thanks to Jack's Jet Ski rentals, Barney's of St. Pete and Fast Elements for their support.

Enjoy.

[video=facebook;10200902789040695]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200902789040695&set=vb.1494233296&type=2&theater[/video]

A lap around the track with what has been dubbed the "Onyx G1 Prototype". My Frankenstein creation sponsored in part by Tom21. Currently in testing of the new hull design.

The hull design is intended to maintain the appearance of the stock X2, while improving the fundamental engineering flaws the stock design suffers from. Utilizing the stock hood seal modified hull to support easy access for maintenance, improved sealing for less water intrusion, and improved trim design.

GPS'ed out at 50MPH. 1987 Kawi X2, Custom one piece hood, Tom21 front sponsons, my hand made front nose fill, 750 motor 0.75mm over Pro-X pistons, 44mm mikuni carb on R&D intake, FPP B-pipe with SJ chamber and SJ waterbox, B1 exhaust outlet, Skat 10/18 stainless prop, Mariner scooped intake and PJS ride plate, custom controls with GP1200 QSTS.

Additional parts pending installation sponsored in part by Tom21, ADA high compression head, carbon dual stage reeds and reed stuffers, padded diamond hydro turf. Also have a set of dual 44mm mikuni carbs on R&D intake with filters ready to install.

The G1 experienced motor issues on lap 8 today. I believe I had a failure of the crank bearings. You can note at the end of the video the ski looses power, squeals loudly and then shuts off. The ski still has 140psi in both cylinders (same as at the start of testing) and the plugs are black, no signs of leaning. The motor restarted immediately, but had a lot of newly developed vibration. I haven't had a chance to diagnose the cause, but I'm leaning towards a crank failure (original 1994 crank).

For those not familiar with the Kawasaki X2, it was released in 1987, with a 50hp 650 motor with a top speed of 40mph. My X2 has almost 90hp, with a top speed of 50mph, and gets there in a real hurry.

http://www.x-h2o.com/threads/28358-Modified-X2-build-(stripped-the-hull)
attachment.php

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I know this is more of a freeride forum. My x2 is being built to race against the SXRs at the lake. I have my sj for freeride. Have been working on my flat water.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
looks quick man, is that a 650 motor?

GPS'ed out at 50MPH. 1987 Kawi X2, Custom one piece hood, Tom21 front sponsons, my hand made front nose fill, 750 motor 0.75mm over Pro-X pistons, 44mm mikuni carb on R&D intake, FPP B-pipe with SJ chamber and SJ waterbox, B1 exhaust outlet, Skat 10/18 stainless prop, Mariner scooped intake and PJS ride plate, custom controls with GP1200 QSTS.

It is quick. Haven't been on it in a year. With some practice and some tuning, it will be much faster, and I have more parts on the shelf waiting.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Any chance of you or Tom making a mold of the hood?

I can't sell you a hood. You would still need the hull side hood seal which is no small job. This would only sell as a complete top deck replacement. I would like to make that happen, but there is a lot more to be done before I have a quality result. I don't mind showing off a busted ass prototype, but I wouldn't sell anything less than exceptional quality.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Have more to update on the build thread. This is where this ski sits atm. Took it apart again.

For the cynics, I ride my superjet regularly. This ski is a hobby and I keep testing different things to see how I can make the ski work and ride better. . I've learned a lot about composites, now working on some smaller projects of making plugs and molds, and starting to work with aluminum. Hoping to sometime within the next few years to build a completely custom lightweight hull based on the things I've learned (both from a build standpoint and a hull style stand point).

My list of modifications...

Nose fill
Tom21 sponsons
cut out stock nose
cut out all ribs
reinforce from the inside
new inserts for waterbox and fuel tank
Superjet waterbox
rear exhaust (after 2" left side, then 2" right side exhuast)
All exhaust after pipe is a minimum of 2" ID, closer to 2.25"
Superjet limited exhaust (after westcoast kawi 650 and FPP kawi 750 limited chamber)
new cooling tubes
Removed stock steering / trim tubes
SXR steering cable
650sx steering cable as the trim cable
Wave raider trim system
battery under seat inside ski over the bearing
-2" with 2" bolt on hull extensions
Kicker to the deck
custom blaster style conversion hood with custom liner
550 fuel tank
custom ebox bracket of glass and aluminum that holds ebox to fuel tank
changed fuel fill location to be cleaner
GP1200 seat latch
750 BP dual 44mm carbs
tried reasr sponsons, didn't like them, may try another style.

List of things to do...
Modification of kicker for better tray drainage
shorten seat so it doesn't interfere with up trim
Add back extinguisher holder under seat
add engine compartment drain to left side of ski
drive shaft fill
800 jet pump
change from velocity stacks to stock yamaha 44mm airbox
body work on hood, copy, then vacuum infused copy
Improve hood strut system
improve hood liner
modify bottom chines
widen and deepen bond rail

Probably more on both lists... Will be ready for a high quality paint job in about 30 years.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Will bring this bare hull to daytona 2015 if someone wants to buy it. No title. Not finished but I was riding it. Pm me of you want to make an offer and discuss.

Top Bottom