turfing with no seams.

onesojourner

I use a thumb throttle.
I saved this picture a while back it's crammit442's boat. notice how there are no seams in the corners of the gunrails like normal. I don't see how that is even possible. any one have any tips?
turfee3.jpg

Last edited:

Waste Land

Non Multa Sed Multum
Look at the bottom right where the side rails come to the bottom mat and follow the line. There is a seem, just not very visible.

Or look at the left side where the side and bottom meet, and look at the diamond pattern and how its perfect. It's cut.

Heat it slowly with a heat gun and get it hot I mean HOT use leather gloves and you can almost wrap it all the way through the footholds. It is just easier to seam it. And with a seam you don't have to worry about it being under stress and pulling loose later.

gj_fx1

X-H2
Careful with the heat though - over do it and the stuff gets brittle and cracks.
(Cut some scraps and experiment with the heat gun first..)

Charlie probably did it.

He's a friggin madman with the turf.

Nope that's Charles (crammitt442) ski and he is definitely one of the best turfers. He helped me with turfing my ski and we used a heat gun to get the turf to mold to the railcaps so that there wouldn't be any seems. It turned out great and I'm very happy with it. Thanks Charles.:biggthumpup:

Look at the bottom right where the side rails come to the bottom mat and follow the line. There is a seem, just not very visible.

Or look at the left side where the side and bottom meet, and look at the diamond pattern and how its perfect. It's cut.

The only place I see cuts is where you have to have cuts in the turf. It is impossible to turf the sides, bottom, and rails with one sheet so of course you are going to need a cut where the rails meet the tray.

Onesojourner is talking about turfing the actual sides, footholds, and rails. That's where you won't find any cuts.

In my opinion heating and wrapping the turf around the rail caps looks 10x better than having a cut there, but that's just my opinion. That's the way we did mine 6 months ago and thr turf still hasn't pulled up yet.

Here is a pic of my turf onesojourner which was done by the same guy that did the turf in your picture.

Attachments

• turf.jpg
    turf.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 213

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
Its not that hard to do... I did it the exact same way on Rick Maus superjet and on my SXR (that was hard). Just some patience and a heat gun... We cut the sides out ourselves from a whole sheet of turf.

So would you start with pieces that are pre-cut for exact fit using a template, or would you start with an oversize piece and trim off what you don't need after the contact cement has adhered?

So would you start with pieces that are pre-cut for exact fit using a template, or would you start with an oversize piece and trim off what you don't need after the contact cement has adhered?

We started with an oversized piece and after heating it and sticking it down we then cut off the excess. There really is no way to estimate the actual size of cutout you need to wrap perfectly around the rail cap after its been heated.

onesojourner

I use a thumb throttle.
sorry I missed your post. thats exactly what I am talking about. do you have any more pictures of that?

The only place I see cuts is where you have to have cuts in the turf. It is impossible to turf the sides, bottom, and rails with one sheet so of course you are going to need a cut where the rails meet the tray.

Onesojourner is talking about turfing the actual sides, footholds, and rails. That's where you won't find any cuts.

In my opinion heating and wrapping the turf around the rail caps looks 10x better than having a cut there, but that's just my opinion. That's the way we did mine 6 months ago and thr turf still hasn't pulled up yet.

Here is a pic of my turf onesojourner which was done by the same guy that did the turf in your picture.

djyox

Old school -not by choice
could you guys that have done it that way post some more pictures? I really want to do mine this way.
I agree, it does look sexy!

Maybe dump some hot heat ontop of it once its in place to get it to form better and not try to pull up?? I don't know, I would like to see what the pros say step by step...

Top Bottom