how-to turf with no seems.

onesojourner

I use a thumb throttle.
this write up is for a round nose superjet with REV footholds. It will also apply for most other footholds. It is even easier on a square since you don't have to wrap the turf all the way around. (but I will laugh at your bruised elbows) I pretty much cut my turf into thirds and that was just enough to do both sides and the bottom. if you want to do the dash and the hand pole you will need more turf. I am starting after you have roughed up all the paint (make sure you do a good job on the top outside edge of the tray!) and coated the whole side of the the tray and piece of turf with contact cement and let it dry then applied a second coat and let that dry. you will have some seems in the footholds but they are not very obvious.

Supplies:
Dap Weldwood gel or reg. Available at lowes, home depot, walmart, ace ect...
dowel rods
heavy paper/wax paper
1-2 sheets of turf
3-6 cheap 99 cent paint brushes
rough sandpaper 36 grit or so
rubber mallet
razor blade
heat gun

Picture #1
I used dowel rods (about 3/8 is what I used) to keep the turf from touching any where that I do not want it stuck to. I could not get dowel rods to work at the back of the ski so I used some heavy duty paper. start on the side/front part of the tray that I have labeled with the red box and work your way towards the front. just worry about the side for now. don't stick it on the top yet. leave the dowel rods up there as long as you can. Take the rods out as you move along the side. Don't let turf get stuck on both sides of the rod or its going to be tough to get it out.

Picture #2
once you get past the peak of the hump is when things start getting tricky. This is when you are going to need to have the heat gun handy. Just warm it up. Not so hot you can't touch it just get it warm. Just move the heat gun back and forth until its all warmed up. You need to push the turf in toward the hump and then around. Once you get with in about 2 inches of the paper get rid of it. Its easy to get it stuck on there.

Picture #3
Now its time to start getting it wrapped around the corner. You kind of just do the corner (circled) and the back of the ski at the same time. Then just work your way from the corner to the front of the ski. Make sure you heat it up. If you don't use heat here its not going to work out. You might need to trim a bit as you go. The turf is going to be in some very unnatural positions and it wont want the stay there. Just make sure you are just making rough cuts. Leave about an inch hanging over everything and then you can go back and do the final cut. Heat the knife up a bunch with your heat gun. If its hot enough the heat gun will cut through the turf like butter. Don't heat the turf up to cut or you will rip it.

Attachments

• step1.jpg
    step1.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 4,879
  • step2.jpg
    step2.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 4,366
  • step3.jpg
    step3.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 4,828
Last edited:

onesojourner

I use a thumb throttle.
here is my finished job along with a few others I have found. take your time when you are making the finishing cuts. pound the turf down with a mallet real good and you can see where you need to make the final cuts. cut farther out than you think and heat the knife up every few inches and you will have a nice finished project. the hardest part of this is for me was doing the final cuts and I have some bigger gaps than I would like.

octaneturf011qc7.jpg

octaneturf009mw7.jpg

octaneturf015gw5.jpg

Attachments

• step4.jpg
    step4.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 3,253
  • DSCN3385.JPG
    DSCN3385.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 3,346
  • Superjet Turf 012.jpg
    Superjet Turf 012.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 3,594
  • ketsair3.jpg
    ketsair3.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 2,941
Last edited:

Waste Land

Non Multa Sed Multum
Very nice write up! Hats off. I make actually use this when I go to returf

Only suggestion I could make would be to upload images from a source and then use them as you go down. I always find it a bit easier and cleaner. Doesnt really matter, just talking.

vandalais

Over here too
Thanks for all the tips

Well the turf came in yesterday and I read the post last night. Pretty happy with my first tray. Did just as you said to do. Still have a little left to do but wouldn't have come out nearly as nice without the tips. Thanks onesojourner!
DSCF4632.jpg

pyro723

Daytona fireworks guy!!!
Looks good guys. I just suck at turf. My first turf job looks like crap! I think my chin pad is the only thing that came out ok.

Attachments

• IMGP1255.JPG
    IMGP1255.JPG
    226.4 KB · Views: 2,731
  • IMGP1257.JPG
    IMGP1257.JPG
    232.9 KB · Views: 2,302
  • IMGP1258.jpg
    IMGP1258.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 2,146
Last edited:
So how far does the turf wrap up into the footwells till you had to make a seem? It looks great I am installing the REVs right now also, I hope my turf comes out that nice.

Looks good guys. I just suck at turf. My first turf job looks like crap! I think my chin pad is the only thing that came out ok.

That's not so bad, did you see the one Wamilton did for his write up on how to turf? It sucks really bad, if it was his first time, it would have been one thing, but after all these years?

SuziQ

Banned
I'm meeting Nick today to get some cushioning stuff to lay under my turf (no idea what it is called). Will be ripping turf up soon, but wondering if there is something special to be known about putting that stuff down underneath the diamond hydroturf.

eufemia18

BRAAAP!
so say i don't have foot holds how hard would it be to just do a solid sheet from the tray up the sides as in no seem at all

JetPilot

'07 SJ xXx
I installed some dakine straps "the yamaslut way" and cut up my stock turf to epoxy the washer and nut down. Normally, if you take your time, you can just re-insert the cut out portions over the nut, but I got in a hurry and butchered the patch-up job. Needless to say this gave me good reason to convince myslef I needed a new turf job! I'll be turfing the entire tray and the rails of my sj this weekend. Thanks for the write up, I've never turfed before, but seem optimistic after reading your thread. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Top Bottom