To FX-1 or not to FX-1... that is the question?

oxnard111

Creative RE Purchasing
I am looking for a RN SJ, but am not having much luck with finding one in my area. I just talked to FX1SanDiego on the phone and he says in his opinion the FX-1 is a better surf ski. I ride mainly in the ocean, I hit the surf but I am not that good. I have ridden my buddies RN SJ a bunch of times in the surf and I know I like it. I ride an SXR right now, but want to keep both skis. I have never ridden an FX-1, and was wondering if you guys think I should settle for an FX-1 or keep looking for a SJ? I am sure FX1SanDiego would let me test ride it first before purchasing, but wanted to know your guys opinons.

The FX1 is a great ski. And it is a great surf ski. But I am willing to bet that comming from an SXR you will hate it.

The FX1 is great because of how small it is, and the lack of stability makes it really "flickable" in the surf. But you get a lot more stability from a superjet. Ride one before you buy one...

I'm just finishing a SJ now.

The ski that Justin has for sale is a really nice FX1 though. It is very clean and set up very well.

oxnard111

Creative RE Purchasing
Well I started on 550's but I was assuming that I would probably have a difficult time. I am considering buying the beach tote he has for sale, so maybe if I drive down there to get the tote, maybe he'll let me ride the ski. I'm gonna call him back later today.

imo, bottom end is what you want in the surf and i've never ridden any fx-1 that has any of that. i guess due to the pump size.

i've also found them to slide out alot. maybe i just never got used to one.

i cant argue with ross's success with them though.

i would ride one before buying cause they are way different from sj's.

njfl

X-H2
Less Stable = More Control From Rider

Ross was right on about "flicking it around". Less-stability allows you to use the thrust to steer it as well.

I got an FX-1 this year. It only took a few minutes to get used to it compared to my SJ, but honestly, if I could get a bit more power out of it, it would be a lot more fun than my SJ.

The FX-1 pump, supposedly is limited in the power that it can handle, but over the winter (well Jan and Feb since you're in SoCal) you can make a 144 pump fit in. If you ride only in the surf, then you likely won't even need the bigger pump and mega-power.

Good luck.

oxnard111

Creative RE Purchasing
Damn... I still need to call FX1SanDiego back to see if I can do a test ride. I do mainly ride the surf, but as I said previously I think I would consider myself a novice. I am not doing back flips, rolls, or anything of the sort. On my buddies SJ I am trying to get nose stabs, but he dosen't even have footwells.

njfl

X-H2
Don't base your decision on one short test ride. If you've ridden only SJ's you will likely be falling a little at first, but you mention that you rode 550's. I think the FX-1 is a lot more like those than a SJ, but with a bigger motor and bigger power potential. Go for it.

LBE

Eddie Would Go.
I'm not around this weekend but if you coem to Long Beach you can give mine a try. Much like Ross use to be!, I'm sort of a die hard FX1 guy. A round nose is definately more stable, but the FX1 is a lot of fun. The pump limits the hook up a little, but my ski is mostly stock (stock pipe, carb, bottom end) and it goes good. It's as fast as many round nose skis top end, and seems only a little behind on the bottom end, but a pipe might help that.
I'd go with the FX, great ski.

oxnard111

Creative RE Purchasing
LBE said:
I'm not around this weekend but if you coem to Long Beach you can give mine a try. Much like Ross use to be!, I'm sort of a die hard FX1 guy. A round nose is definately more stable, but the FX1 is a lot of fun. The pump limits the hook up a little, but my ski is mostly stock (stock pipe, carb, bottom end) and it goes good. It's as fast as many round nose skis top end, and seems only a little behind on the bottom end, but a pipe might help that.
I'd go with the FX, great ski.
Thank you for the offer, I'll let you know if I have gone down to San Diego by next weekend.

Any one else closer to me wanna let me ride their FX-1?

oxnard111 said:
How much would you all pay for a brand new 1995 FX-1? There is one about 3 miles away from me. It has never even had gas put in it.

A ski that old but still new I'd be concerned with crank seals, etc.... plus brand new '95 sounds fishy to me neway.

oxnard111

Creative RE Purchasing
SJKny said:
A ski that old but still new I'd be concerned with crank seals, etc.... plus brand new '95 sounds fishy to me neway.

Well the ski is legit. It has been sitting in the showroom at the company Cold Fusion for the last 11 years. But I was thinking about the seals also. Will performing a compression check tell me if there is a bad seal? Will it damage the ski to do a compression check if it has never had and oil ran through it?

michael950

for me to POOP on!
SJKny said:

Use for leverage IF you decide to buy it. Seals will probably need replacing.

oxnard111

Creative RE Purchasing
Well the big answer to the question is "NOT". I am finally buying a superjet. Picking it up Monday or Tuesday. I'm excited, but now I need to start saving again for parts, and money to change all of the purple off of it. I already have the chin pad so that is a start.

Top Bottom