John's budget SJ build

Waternut

Customizing addict
Well depending on how I like it, it may be a backup for the kawi or the primary. I'll probably end up keeping them both but only time will tell which one I'll ride the most.

I haven't decided if I'm going to Daytona or not but I don't think this ski will be ready by then. It's possible but not probable. I think the biggest hold up will be the cylinder boring. I want to port it with the race logic templates first and then send it off for boring and the templates haven't come in yet.

Waternut

Customizing addict
Well I hit a little snag... The engine bay bottom was really dirty so after the ski had been completely sanded, I thought I would use a wire brush to scrape off the big stuff before cleaning and sanding it. Well long storry short, the wire brush absolutely chewed up the fiberglass on the very bottom. I guess water had sat in there for so long that it eventually just rotted the on top.

Here is a pic after the bottom had been cleaned and sanded. I didn't want to sand it until it was smooth just in case it went too far down. Sorry for the big pic but wanted to make sure you could see it.

I'm going to lay down a layer or two of fabric to help restore the structure/prevent any more rotting.

Attachments

• 1_000_0683.jpg
    1_000_0683.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:

Waternut

Customizing addict
Well I got my racelogic sport port templates in the mail today so I've begun that process. I ordered the new superstock/freestyle templates. However, after looking at the templates, I got to thinking... Aren't superstock and freestyle completely different riding styles?

Anyway, here are some pics of the pre-porting effort.

Stock port.
1_Copy_of_000_0686.jpg

Exhaust side.
1_Copy_of_000_0687.jpg

Intake side.
1_Copy_of_000_0689.jpg

Waternut

Customizing addict
Alright the porting is complete using the sport port templates. I wasn't as careful as I would've normally been because the cylinder still needs to be bored (that's the way racelogic says to do it). Anyway, once I get the cylinder back from boring, I may have to clean up the ports a hair since obviously I'm not as perfect as a professional and the angle may vary slightly half a mm down.

Both ports.
1_Copy_of_000_0704.jpg

Intake tracts.
1_Copy_of_000_0701.jpg

Aft cylinder.
1_Copy_of_000_0702.jpg

Forward cylinder. Little tooling mark above the port but I'm sure the bore will take it out.
1_Copy_of_000_0703.jpg

Waternut

Customizing addict
Well I started pouring the US composites foam on the nose to form a rounder version with little success. I was using tape to hold the liquid foam on top of the nose and it was kinda working and definately not going exactly where I wanted. I eventually gave up and pulled out a "half empty" can of Great Stuff figuring I'm going to sand and lay fiberglass over the foam anyway. Well the Great Stuff can had liquid inside but I had to bust it with a nail which meant the rest had to come out.

Here are my results...I think I'll just paint it the way it is since I was able to form the nose pretty well with a leaky can. Adds character LOL :lmao:

Attachments

• 000_0708.jpg
    000_0708.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 147
  • 000_0709.jpg
    000_0709.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 183

Waternut

Customizing addict
I also managed to clean up the engine bay for paint. I cut a hole for a scupper tube and another hole in order to lower the exhaust tube. Geez that bulkhead is really thick!! Anyway, I used appliance epoxy again because it's held up great in my 750. As you can also see, you don't sand woven roving flat. Since it's so massive, you just kinda rough it up and be happy. That stuff is nice for fast build up and it's really cheap but certainly not the most cosmetic is you want smooth.

Attachments

• 000_0710.jpg
    000_0710.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 195
  • 000_0711.jpg
    000_0711.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 146

Waternut

Customizing addict
Alright so I shaped the nose and added a couple thin layers of fiberglass. Let me know what you think so far....

Attachments

• 000_0712.jpg
    000_0712.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 197
  • 000_0713.jpg
    000_0713.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 131
  • 000_0715.jpg
    000_0715.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 240

Waternut

Customizing addict
I thought a nice yellow engine would go well with a blue ski. Haven't decided what I want to paint the pipe and chamber yet though. Open to suggestions...

Attachments

• 000_0716[1].jpg
    000_0716[1].jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 126
  • 000_0717[1].jpg
    000_0717[1].jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 78

tbaer

USMC
hey jfw i need your address again. i went to ship your holds out on monday and lost the address. i will be sure to ship them priority the day after x-mas unless you might be coming to savannah for some reason. then i could meet you there and give them to you.

Waternut

Customizing addict
Well I'm definately getting sick of working on this thing already and I'm not even close to done. I enjoy it but it pisses me off when I work on it for an hour and wait 24+ hours for cure time, sand, repeat, sand, repeat...ugh!! 2 weeks later and it looks like nothing has happened.

5200 works great but I've been trying to seal up my scupper tube and my exhaust pipe and the crap keeps running out of the cracks and into the bottom of the hull. So that means I can't even pour in my foam or fiberglass the tray back in.

The nose is being the biggest PITA... I so would've bought a nice round nose cover if I had known that smoothing everything out was going to be this difficult.

I still want to paint my pipe, pole, and head sooo...that means more sanding, smoothing, cleaning, etc. I am also waiting on my cylinder to get back from boring so I can't put that together either.

Top Bottom