Carbon Reinforcing

Is there a definitive guide on carbon fiber reinforcing that anyone can point me toward?
I have searched through the Forum and have found alot of information but all of it being inconsistent.

Make sure you tape the edges so it doest fray as you are cutting/fitting it. The tape is easy to remove once the carbon is wet out.

I've heard that medical/utility scissors work well, I used fabric shears.

Flash-FX

No Square..No Round..FX-1
Dude, Don't panic yet. It's really simple...ready? In 10 steps or less....

1- Prep the sides (if it's a Square Nose- Grind Those Freakin Ribs!...Classic words from Yamaslut). Make it real CLEAN in there. Use Epoxy if it's a SMC hull. I like Epoxy. It doesn't stink too much.

2- Fill in the bond line with a epoxy blend of 404 , microballoons, and cabosil mix (or equivalent) , apply,then Sand smooth when cured.

3- Use some 2" wide blue painters tape, and make a "pattern" of the area you want to glass (re-enforce). Just tape all over (overlapping) that spot a couple times, and using a razor knife, trim the edges and corners nice (of the tape). It will look like a big blue Patch. Peel it off carefully...in 1 big piece.

4- Take that "big azz piece" of tape and carefully sprinkle a little baby powder on the sticky side (rub it around and shake off any excess). Not too much, you just want to reduce the stickiness as not to pull the strands of fiber when you lay it down on the carbon (you could use carbon powder if you have it...that's black).

5- Carefully, lay the pattern (the big azz blue patch) on top of the fabric. Take some temporary hold fabric adhesive, and spray around (and under) the edge of the pattern (cut line). Use just a light coating of spray. Get the spray at a fabric store...Fabric stores are fun to browse.

6- With scissors, cut out the piece of carbon. On the cut line just under the edge of tape "pattern". (the fabric spray prevents fraying, and making you pull out your hair, because you just ruined $50.00 worth of carbon)...You can also get good scissors while your at the fabric store,Ask the nice old lady that works there.

7- Position the piece of carbon over where you want it on the side of the ski. (now comes the fun part) Mix up some Epoxy resin, and brush it on, wet out the material. At this point you're done with the one side. Roll the ski over and re-peat the process.

8- If you want to get real trick, when you buy the carbon (5.7 oz 2x2 twill looks good) also buy some peel ply to lay over the wet layup. Use a squeegee and work out any bubbles and high spots. The peel ply allows you to "work" over the glass/carbon without disturbing the weave, That would look real ugly. After the resin cures, peel off the peel ply layer and brush on a nice fresh coat of resin to dress it up. (use that same pattern to cut out the peel ply too).

9- Put it back together and go riding. :headbang:

10- Post lots of cool pictures of your awesome job.

Thanks for the reply!

2- Fill in the bond line with a epoxy blend of 404 , microballoons, and cabosil mix (or equivalent) , apply,then Sand smooth when cured.
First off, stupid question.....what is a bond line?

6- With scissors, cut out the piece of carbon. On the cut line just under the edge of tape "pattern". (the fabric spray prevents fraying, and making you pull out your hair, because you just ruined $50.00 worth of carbon)...You can also get good scissors while your at the fabric store,Ask the nice old lady that works there.
Ask the old lady....check

What is the best way to do it? Two on the sides then two full sheets?
It's for the surf.

Flash-FX

old lady...check

Only 1 layer is required, CF is strong.

Check out flashsj's 08 SJ in the build section...his boat is looking sweet (all new stuff). Picture below of his boat,with the bond line pointed out in red.

He also dressed it up with a little CF tape on the edges around the perimeter=strong.

Attachments

• fsj.jpg
    fsj.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 527
Im getting ready to use cf on my hull for the first time.....This thread will help me x a million...Flash thanks for the cf install directions for dummies:439:

DangerBoy

Runs with scissors
Site Supporter
Flash , Your advise is making experts out of us. Thanks .

Between this, your Hull bottom build page and the mountain of Great vintage Photos that your shared with us , all for free, :You_Rock_Emoticon:

hull makers and photographers are going to have it out for you:AR15firing:
Db

onesojourner

I use a thumb throttle.
no problem:

IMG_6302.jpg

Much easier than I thought it would be. You guys had me worried.

teton

tetongravity.com
Dude, Don't panic yet. It's really simple...ready? In 10 steps or less....

1- Prep the sides (if it's a Square Nose- Grind Those Freakin Ribs!...Classic words from Yamaslut). Make it real CLEAN in there. Use Epoxy if it's a SMC hull. I like Epoxy. It doesn't stink too much.

3- Use some 2" wide blue painters tape, and make a "pattern" of the area you want to glass (re-enforce). Just tape all over (overlapping) that spot a couple times, and using a razor knife, trim the edges and corners nice (of the tape). It will look like a big blue Patch. Peel it off carefully...in 1 big piece.

4- Take that "big azz piece" of tape and carefully sprinkle a little baby powder on the sticky side (rub it around and shake off any excess). Not too much, you just want to reduce the stickiness as not to pull the strands of fiber when you lay it down on the carbon (you could use carbon powder if you have it...that's black).

5- Carefully, lay the pattern (the big azz blue patch) on top of the fabric. Take some temporary hold fabric adhesive, and spray around (and under) the edge of the pattern (cut line). Use just a light coating of spray. Get the spray at a fabric store...Fabric stores are fun to browse.

7- Position the piece of carbon over where you want it on the side of the ski. (now comes the fun part) Mix up some Epoxy resin, and brush it on, wet out the material. At this point you're done with the one side. Roll the ski over and re-peat the process.

8- If you want to get real trick, when you buy the carbon (5.7 oz 2x2 twill looks good) also buy some peel ply to lay over the wet layup. Use a squeegee and work out any bubbles and high spots. The peel ply allows you to "work" over the glass/carbon without disturbing the weave, That would look real ugly. After the resin cures, peel off the peel ply layer and brush on a nice fresh coat of resin to dress it up. (use that same pattern to cut out the peel ply too).

9- Put it back together and go riding. :headbang:

10- Post lots of cool pictures of your awesome job.

thanks for the tips, I definately have been going about reinforcing the hard way and have ruined many a piece of carbon fiber.

one question though, between steps 6 and 7 im assuming you remove the painters tape from the carbon, also how do you prevent the cf from fraying when you brush on the resin? does the fabric spray prevent fraying then too?

thanks for the pointers, im bookmarking this one for future reference for sure...

Flash-FX

no problem:

IMG_6302.jpg

Much easier than I thought it would be. You guys had me worried.
No worries....Piece of cake. GOOD JOB!!!
thanks for the tips, I definately have been going about reinforcing the hard way and have ruined many a piece of carbon fiber.

one question though, between steps 6 and 7 im assuming you remove the painters tape from the carbon, also how do you prevent the cf from fraying when you brush on the resin? does the fabric spray prevent fraying then too?

thanks for the pointers, im bookmarking this one for future reference for sure...
The part you might be missing is simple, The temporary hold fabric spray is basically a thinned out rubber contact cement. It soaks into the fiber(s) on the cut line, and holds the edge fibers together (preventing a frayed mess). Now about the pattern (blue painters tape), don't remove it yet...You just lift the tape edge, a little spot at a time, and cut the fabric where the edge of tape would overlay the fabric. Cut a little at a time, and work your way around. When you are finished cutting, the "blue pattern" should be the identical same size as the carbon, mirroring each other. The trimmed carbon will be pretty resistant to fraying, just don't brush hard on the edges. I wouldn't use the spray method on a F-14 wing lay up....but you get the idea, it works well in this application.

Cool, Thanks!, just trying to help out peeps with some "tips & short cuts". GET THOSE PROJECTS DONE!!! And post LOTS of pix!

Last edited:

AZRIDER

stupid desert
put it in FAQ the carbon/fiberglass section sucks good addition here

I've seen electric shop shears used in a couple professional videos, never used it my self

Top Bottom