My first build 09" SXR

Well,
This year I decided to get rid of the rail caps, throw in some footholds, handle bars, get rid of the stock stickers and returf.

I order some WCF holds and am just awaiting them to arrive so I decided to get a head start. This is my first time doing anything of the sort so I will most likely be asking some stupid question along the way.

Good thing the X has a crap load of stuff to read.

I ripped off the rail caps. I figure they will come off at some point anyway. I plan on turfing over them.

I ripped out the turf and used some filler to smooth out the rail...So the turf job will be smooth when I get to that point.

I think Im gonna go with the snow camo turf.

I picked up some 105 West System epoxy resin with some 205 hardener.....Is this gonna work for the glass? I will end up punching rivits in the holds and glassing over them.

Anybody got any input or tips. I really understand now when people say you gotta be patient with this crap.

Attachments

• DSC03049.jpg
    DSC03049.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC03063.jpg
    DSC03063.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 172
  • DSC03064.jpg
    DSC03064.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 190
  • DSC03066.jpg
    DSC03066.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC03070.jpg
    DSC03070.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC03071.jpg
    DSC03071.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC03074.jpg
    DSC03074.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
OKay, so I got the WCF holds in and continued on. I am pretty much a foot hold virgin. Ive never seen them let alone put my feet in them to find out which ones would work for me the best.

Let me start by saying I love the feel of these! I think they will be great once on the water.

I figured I would share my process given from a noob's perspective.

Things took a bit longer than I expected now I just have to glass them in. I ordered the grooved snow camo today.

I attached a picture of how I made the template.

I realized cutting the hole as small as possible and grinding them to a 45* angle for the hold to snug in was the best fit.

I had to trim up the holds just a bit for them to sit flush against the tray.I cut them at each 90* so they could flex around those spots. I figure they are molded for the SJ........it figures, but they came out pretty good.....I guess. I ended up using the 5200 to seal em in.

This is probably the number one build topic but, I figure all the more pics of random installs and tips would help more of the foot hold virgins like myself.

I keep the posting....

Attachments

• DSC03094.jpg
    DSC03094.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC03098.jpg
    DSC03098.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC03099.jpg
    DSC03099.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC03106.jpg
    DSC03106.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Well I got her glassed in. Just waiting for the under pad and turf to get in.

I think Im more worried about doing the turf than I was about the foothold install. Overall it was pretty straight forward.

I think it will go a lot faster and easier the next time I install holds.

I ordered a sheet of cut groove camo and two sheets of 8mm pad. I figure Ill stack the sheets in the tray.

Anybody got any tips for working with the cut groove compared to the diamond? Will one sheet work?

Attachments

• DSC03110.jpg
    DSC03110.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC03111.jpg
    DSC03111.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC03112.jpg
    DSC03112.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Well I got her glassed in. Just waiting for the under pad and turf to get in.

I think Im more worried about doing the turf than I was about the foothold install. Overall it was pretty straight forward.

I think it will go a lot faster and easier the next time I install holds.

I ordered a sheet of cut groove camo and two sheets of 8mm pad. I figure Ill stack the sheets in the tray.

Anybody got any tips for working with the cut groove compared to the diamond? Will one sheet work?

You will need 2 sheets, my buddy just did his with the camo grooved and he said he had to be real careful stretching it because it would tear easy. i have always done diamond and it was easy to stretch and form.

Well, Im gonna have to make one sheet work! I cant F-ng wait another week for the crap to get in. I'm itchin to get on the water.

I don't know how big an SXR is compared to an SJ but 1 sheet is PLENTY if you're just doing the tray.

And I'm with your on turf lol I'd much rather fiberglass than turf.

Okay,
Finally finished. One sheet was definitely enough. It was a lot of work but......it finished and I guess Im okay with how it came out. I cant wait to get this hog in the water. I figure it came out okay considering I have never even seen another ski with holds.

I think it work out good with the camo because it kinda hides some of the minor screw ups with the turf. Im the only one that will notice them any way.

I stacked two sheets of the 8mm. it is nice and plush. I also cut out the padding under on the bottom of the holds and put one layer on the top of em. My feet fit perfect that way.

I also continued with the Air Force theme a bit on the dash....and got rid of all the stock green.

Not sure what else I should do with the looks of the hog. What'ya all think?

DSC03113.jpg

DSC03130-1.jpg

DSC03120.jpg

DSC03121.jpg

DSC03122.jpg

DSC03125.jpg

I got plenty more build pics if anybody is considering doing SXR and would like to se them.

OH yea......I would assume I am not the only one that has laid turf with contact cement in a confined area........It took me a while to realize that I was f-ing high.

Last edited:
Top Bottom