C.A.T.S. - Cheap Arse Trim System - post yours!

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
I'd like to see everyone post their setups here. Maybe mention what you used for parts, what you had to fabricate or mod to make it work, how much throw you have, how much it cost.

I'll get all my pics together and do my post.

Last edited:

Jawbreaker

Rick James Edition
I used a pro-tech trim system, but I modified it to get more throw... (see pics) :biggthumpup: You can bend your lever to get a little more throw.

The last pic shows the trim with the factory bracket and spring....I did away with both. I plan on installing the spring at the bottom of the nozzle to pull it back straight for it tends to slap the bond line when jumping. Not to mention, the lever sometimes slaps your fingers.

Attachments

• trim 1.JPG
    trim 1.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,722
  • trim 2.JPG
    trim 2.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 2,103
  • trim 3.JPG
    trim 3.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,830
  • trim3.jpg
    trim3.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 2,504

SuperJETT

Here's where my cable attachment is threaded into the trim ring. You can see where I used to have it.

There is a hole drilled in the stud and the nuts/washers hold it.

Due to the Raider nozzle having trim, they had the cable attached in the center on top instead of lower like on a SJ nozzle, so you have to lower the pivot point some to clear the cooling fitting boss on the pump.

This how close the steering cable is to the cooling boss.

I have the cable ferrule bolted into the pump, and a short bolt in the front sections so I am not losing any strength anywhere.

20 degrees, I did notch the rear of the bondline as the stream would be blocked just barely if I didn't.

Free left side brake lever from a local bike shop. I cut off the thumb shifter obviously.

20 degrees. To get more, I'd have to get new bosses welded on to mount the pivot bolts further back so the ring is on a smaller diameter section of the nozzle.

SuperJETT

I have a tube in the top left of the pump area and sealed it inside the engine compartment with 5200.

Jawbreaker

Rick James Edition
I remember seeing Josh Lustic's Octane last year at Nationals (black w/white hydro-turf). His bond line in the back was just about all gone. In the middle it came up into the trey. He had a lot of throw on that ski. I think it was Malone's 04' flatwater hull.

freestylegeek

waiting...
so what parts do you need to get something like this to work?

WaverRaider parts.

Reduction nozzle - $100
Trim Ring - $35
Turn nozzle - $25
Pivot bolts and bushings - $14
Trim lever from a bike shop - $10
12 foot long trim cable from Terrycable - $30

There are cheaper ways to do it as well, but these are all the approximate new prices.

I use a SuperJet reduction nozzle with boss' welded to it so that I could drill and tap the holes for the trim ring. Doing it this way gives me 25 degrees of throw.

I also bored out the pump bolt hole on the upper left side of my pump in order to run the cable straight through.

Attachments

• 052405 006.jpg
    052405 006.jpg
    895 KB · Views: 1,816
  • 100706 043.jpg
    100706 043.jpg
    892.7 KB · Views: 1,918

2lick

Brap!!!
I think im gonna just buy the trim ring, cable, lever, and magiver the rest.....

Any one have measurements as to where to weld the "bosses" to bolt the trim ring on with??? Or is it just preaty much get it close.... just thinking here.... not realy gonna act on this for a while :smile:

freestylegeek

waiting...
I think im gonna just buy the trim ring, cable, lever, and magiver the rest.....

Any one have measurements as to where to weld the "bosses" to bolt the trim ring on with??? Or is it just preaty much get it close.... just thinking here.... not realy gonna act on this for a while :smile:

You want the center of the pivot hole to be 3/4" from the back edge of the nozzle.

Mark44

Katie's Boss
WaverRaider parts.

Reduction nozzle - $100
Trim Ring - $35
Turn nozzle - $25
Pivot bolts and bushings - $14
Trim lever from a bike shop - $10
12 foot long trim cable from Terrycable - $30

There are cheaper ways to do it as well, but these are all the approximate new prices.

I use a SuperJet reduction nozzle with boss' welded to it so that I could drill and tap the holes for the trim ring. Doing it this way gives me 25 degrees of throw.

I also bored out the pump bolt hole on the upper left side of my pump in order to run the cable straight through.

I have this set up also and it works great. I put a 1" pvc pipe through the hull and have a cord grip connector in the engine bay to hold the cable. I am working on the same set up for Katie's ski. She purchased a new trim raider set up off ebay a few months ago so we are on our way. :biggthumpup:

Mark44

2lick

Brap!!!
I have this set up also and it works great. I put a 1" pvc pipe through the hull and have a cord grip connector in the engine bay to hold the cable. I am working on the same set up for Katie's ski. She purchased a new trim raider set up off ebay a few months ago so we are on our way. :biggthumpup:

Mark44

haha... screw ebay.. at least for now... i was looking for parts and i found t rings listed for 45-48 dollars pluss shipping USED!!!

there what 34ish NEW......

I didnt see a cable listed on terrycables website thou????

Mark44

Katie's Boss
haha... screw ebay.. at least for now... i was looking for parts and i found t rings listed for 45-48 dollars pluss shipping USED!!!

there what 34ish NEW......

I didnt see a cable listed on terrycables website thou????

Katie gave 100 bucks for the complete raider system new on ebay.

Terry Cable #SP435 trim cable 11' $40.00 plus 4.55 shipping. :biggthumpup:
760-244-9351

Last edited:

jdakrt

X
Anyone else doing this on the Kawi's? To those who posted, they all look great! I am looking at an SE drop for my pro and want to know what I need to do to make it work. I dig the x2 system.

Last edited:
Can we get a little more detail & pics of how you're running the cable through the hull and sealing? I see that most 5200 a 3/8 SS line through, but how does the cable seal out water, etc.? Do the cables last long? I see potential for water to find it's way up the cable's sheath and corrode everything to hell..... no?

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
I think I am going to piece one of these together this winter. Where can I find a step-by-step for doing this? Im going to be using a raider nozzle most likely.

Top Bottom