650/X-2 Hornedogg's 750 X2 - it's alive

hornedogg79

dodgin' bass boats
Didn't plan on starting this project so soon but a bass fisherman trying to be cute changed all that. He tried to scare me and almost killed me instead. I bought this X2 along with my FX1(r.i.p.) 3 years ago. This is going to be nothing special or pretty. Just want to build a reliable ski for friends to have fun on. A small pin 750 with a fresh top end will be dropped in as soon as I get new motor mounts. I already had a nice Coffman exhaust on the 650 that will bolt right up. Has UMI steering as well. I bought a Rad Dudes surf brace with electronics mount at Wavedaze so I'll be using 750 electric box. If I ever get what's left of my fx1 back from twra I can use the pump from it which has a new 10/16 hooker and an r&d afterburner pump stuffer. should rip pretty good.
Obviously I can't do much of this work in my current condition. Big thanks to my pal hummer for helping me do work yesterday.

IMG_20110514_212809.jpg

a little of my carnage
IMG_20110512_145436.jpg

Last edited:

hornedogg79

dodgin' bass boats
Bolted the 750 down to new RHAAS mounts last week.
IMG_20110527_231433.jpg

I replaced the stock 90deg fittings at the waterbox with silicon elbows.
IMG_20110528_144047.jpg

In other news.... I found a cool waterproof cast cover on amazon that works great.
IMG_20110527_064941.jpg

I was able to spend a few minutes on a ski yesterday. Felt so good just to cruise around.
IMG951132.jpg

trying to balance in the turn.... looks like i was waving.. ha

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
You must be waving to your fan club! Hummer and you have been busy.Looks good! You guys have a good ride yesterday?

hornedogg79

dodgin' bass boats
Nice build, but wait a second... what is the story with the bass fisherman and your arm hardware?

The day after I came home from wavedaze I was out cruising on the lake to flush my ski. Noticed when I left the marina that a bass tournament was about to begin. Minutes into my ride a bass boat came up from behind and hit me. I think he was just trying to get close but I turned into him just as he got to me. I had zero time to react. As soon as I turned a trolling motor was in my face. The dude did pull me out of the water and get me to an ambulance so I'm thankful for that.

Last edited:

shawn_NJ

Chasing waves.
Holy crap dude! Thats one of the craziest stories I heard in awhile, glad you are somewhat ok. That could have gone really REALLY bad.

hornedogg79

dodgin' bass boats
My broke wing is somewhat useable again. I was finally able to staple new vinyl on the seat. Then I chopped the back 1.25". The 750 I used was from a SS I think so It has a big square ebox that's not going to bolt up to my RadDudes surf brace. I'm on the hunt for an SXI style ebox housing. Turf may go on tonight.
IMG_20110620_210721.jpg

IMG_20110620_225517.jpg

hornedogg79

dodgin' bass boats
Looks good man!

Good practice for resurrecting the FX (although, that may take both arms!) ;)

Thanks! The FX will go back on the work stand after I finish this thing. But for that to happen I'm going to need to put the reciprocating saw down. I keep creating more work for myself. Gotta keep my mind occupied until I can ride again. :crutches:
IMG_20110621_211027.jpg

Thanks! The FX will go back on the work stand after I finish this thing. But for that to happen I'm going to need to put the reciprocating saw down. I keep creating more work for myself. Gotta keep my mind occupied until I can ride again. :crutches:

I think you need to cut the rear a lot more

hornedogg79

dodgin' bass boats
Update

I still need to paint the hood but this thing is alive! I've ridden it the past couple of days with virtually zero problems. This could possibly be the funnest ski I own...
IMG_20110815_202422.jpg

I only chopped 1.25"-1.5" off the back so far and I haven't shortened my ride plate. It will spend most of it's time on the lake so I don't wanna go too short and not be able to rail a corner. I'll probably cut the plate to match the way it is now and leave it.
IMG_20110812_182223.jpg

I made a hood liner and used 2.5" shop vac hose for a breather tube. It fits between the bars on the Rad Dudes brace and slides down between the flywheel cover and gas tank. Seems to work pretty well. I subbed it over and over last night and the dual rule 500s would only spit for a second or two. I have a K&N flame arrestor on it (which is terrible for water intrusion) and have had no issues thus far.
IMG_20110812_182407.jpg

Cut 25mm pad to build up the dash area and smooth out the transition to the seat thingy.
IMG_20110812_182541.jpg

I made a bracket to fix the trim for now. That's what's sticking up out of the padding. I should fix it somewhere under the hood and get rid of all that mess on top but I initially wanted the X2guy freestyle trim (can't find one for $ale). The nozzle is pointed up a bit which seems to work out well since it's no problem to get your weight on the front of these things.
IMG_20110815_202459.jpg

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I only chopped 1.25"-1.5" off the back so far and I haven't shortened my ride plate. It will spend most of it's time on the lake so I don't wanna go too short and not be able to rail a corner. I'll probably cut the plate to match the way it is now and leave it.
IMG_20110812_182223.jpg

I have not yet cut my hull, but in theory the concept of cutting the hull is to improve cornering. The motor is several inches further up than any other ski. The steering pole on the stand up may put the leverage on the nose but the weight of the rider remains back on the pump since it's so hard to distribute that weight forward. The X2 however makes the rider lean forward resting most of their weight on the bars, mouted past the mid point of the ski, which distributes much more rider weight forward compared to a stand up. These things plus a few others results in the X2 riding very nose heavy. Anytime I ride my X2, I find it to require a large amount of concious effort to keep my weight back enough to keep the pump hooked up in sharp corners. Shortening the hull should let the ski sink deeper in the water and allow harder corning without breaking the pump free. I've never ridden a shortened hull, but I do know what problems I have with my ski. I am going to go -1.5 like you did when I get my cast off only because I don't want to glass the back right away, but I do plan to try out -3 before I finish my new hull. I've kept my ski long because I like taking a cruise with my tall seat and I have no problems with weight distribution or the pump breaking free while sitting.

Edit: never mind this paragragh, I see you drilled replacement boweyes in the side of the seat area.

Last edited:
Top Bottom