Other Best or better?

Hey everyone,
So I've been a little bored during this whole pandemic thing and riding season is over for us up in the great white north, so decided Id expand my knowledge of the sport in freestyle and hopefully make a good read for others in the process, by simply asking questions. (Crazy right)

So for my first question, IN YOUR OPINION what is your favorite pipe and waterbox combo for a 701 engine and why? (For use in freestyle)

(TOO NOT HAVE MULTIPLE THREADS GOING ALL QUESTIONS WILL BE ASKED ON THIS THREAD)

Thanks for the read and your opinions, hope you all have a great day.

Last edited:
It's like everything else "best" will depend on what you're looking for and the rest of the motor package.

Best bang for buck: cut and welded wet jet pipe (heavy, and you have to cut and weld, but dirt cheap, very reliable no couplers to fail and doesn't crack anywhere, significant power upgrade over stock exhaust)

Best compromise: B pipe with stock waterbox (light, reliable, no water ingestion issues, mostly trouble free, very responsive)

Best power: it's going to be one of the lay down pipes. I have not used any on a 701, but on my 781 TNT laydown pipe smokes b-pipe in every way, bottom to top, no comparison. Not sure how the pfp or RRP compare but I'm confident either would make more power than a B pipe. All of the downsides of a laydown pipe (can't use stock tank, more potential for water injestion, etc...

1.Riva freeride pipe and oem rn water box.
Makes more power then a b pipe and can be had much cheaper. Oem rn water box is the quietest and that's why I prefer that set up.
2. Is money isn't an issue rrp pipe and jetmaniac water box. I have ran a rrp pipe on several 701s in a carbon freestyle hull and had really good results with it....this is all imo, I'm just a back yard hack

It's like everything else "best" will depend on what you're looking for and the rest of the motor package.

Best bang for buck: cut and welded wet jet pipe (heavy, and you have to cut and weld, but dirt cheap, very reliable no couplers to fail and doesn't crack anywhere, significant power upgrade over stock exhaust)

Best compromise: B pipe with stock waterbox (light, reliable, no water ingestion issues, mostly trouble free, very responsive)

Best power: it's going to be one of the lay down pipes. I have not used any on a 701, but on my 781 TNT laydown pipe smokes b-pipe in every way, bottom to top, no comparison. Not sure how the pfp or RRP compare but I'm confident either would make more power than a B pipe. All of the downsides of a laydown pipe (can't use stock tank, more potential for water injestion, etc...
Yep.

In a freestyle hull a laydown pipe will kill a b pipe in power. I loved from b pipe to PFP on my 771 and it made a huge difference.

In a superjet, I wouldn't run a laydown because the stock gas tank is so nice for cruising. X metal box sounds good but I don't think makes more power over stock.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Rushford_Ripper

Site Supporter
Waterbox: OEM, Jetmaniac, Factory Pipe, or TDR (downfall is noise)

Pipe: B-pipe

that’s based on my own experiences, I’ve tried other pipes on Kawasaki motors like coffmans and such but never on a Yamaha. IMO any pipe over stock is worth it.

I still have a soft spot for my Speedwerx dry pipe and only ever had stock waterboxes so stock waterbox it is. One day I will have my Speedwerx pipe repaired and modified just the way it needs to be to make it reliable but until then I'll just keep running my B-pipe. I have admit though, the Speedwerx was definitely a performance monster, best I have ever experienced but that can be taken with a couple pounds of salt. I haven't dabbled a whole lot in the exhaust market other than B-pipes both SuperJet and Blasters with the mod chambers, Coffman Sizzlers, Westcoast, and even the cheapest of the cheap but actually quite a lot of fun...the SuperJet cheater pipe! :D

The r&d wetpipe they made that looks like a dry pipe is a great pipe for power. Better than bpipes but prone to cracking. Bpipes are good because of their reliability but on the power side they fall short to the lay down and dry pipes. Bpipes have gotten soo overpriced that if I need to buy another pipe I'll go to a lay down setup

I'm personally running a tnt ss blaster chamber in my superjet with a jetmaniac box and its barely louder than the oem box but has better throatier tone

Use the stock box whenever possible unless you just want to make noise. Factory "B" and type 4 dry pipes work at lower rpm so they are more versatile, they will work well with pump gas and stock ignitions. Most laydown pipes are shorter and work at higher rpm when run dry. This makes it more challenging to get good response from small engines. You may need to run the pipe wet and lighten the pump load.

Interesting to see everyones opinions, I'm curious if anyones ever run a laydown pipe on a pump gas or even just stock bore with race gas.
I ran a rrp on a ported 701x cylinder on x cases with a single 44 and 200lbs of comp. Worked great. Also ran that pipe on a ported 701 t cylinder and t cases and dual 38s with 175 psi. Also worked great

Okay Soo Second Question of this Post.

What is your favorite freestyle hull and why?

Lets see your answers :D hope your all keeping safe out there and to those of you still riding, hope your having a blast

Last edited:
My personal favourites have to be
#1 Polar Composites Vortex Hull or Xscream DVX (Best of what I've Rode vortex is super stable and sleek to look at, then the DVX just super maneuverable)

(Id put my Polar composites trixstar on here but I havent got the footholds just right yet but Chad gave me a few good ideas for next season. Still also a great hull.)

#2 Maxx Hull (Havent rode one but love how small it is and love the look of it, just wish it was available in carbon)

Top Bottom