Building a PJX X-1C

So awhile back (September) I purchased a PJX hull (off Craigslist). They had 2 up there. A glass version:
Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 10.38.40 AM.png
And a carbon version:
P7171059.JPG
The glass version was a lot further along in the build. It was turfed, it had graphics, engine mounts, etc. The day I withdrew money from my account to purchase the glass hull, the hull was sold off to another member here on the forums. :-/

I decided to go for the less finished Carbon hull, thinking “I’d rather have carbon anyway… I have all winter to build this bad boy… So what if some things aren’t finished!”
14196188_528225647388602_467548900639255676_o.jpg

I guess I didn’t realize that this hull was not as “plug and play” as other AM hulls I read people building on the forums (basically the drivetrain components require custom work). Coming from a 90 SN superjet, it’s required a lot of extra parts to purchase to get this project rollin’.

When I started doing the dry fittings (using extra accumulated parts of of the years) it was becoming more apparent at how much more work I was going to have to do to get this thing built. I had casually read about turning down the midshaft to press it into the housing further to work with the stock SJ driveshaft, and I read about how adding an extra wear ring section to the pump allows your to use the stock driveshaft in a “setback” style pump.
IMG_20170225_164332110_HDR.jpg

A few things I didn’t realize until purchase was the wear ring needed to machined about ¼ inch to have the bolt holes line up. When I realized that, I’m thinking, no problem. I’ll just get it machined… But finding a shop locally to machine it has been a lot more trouble than I thought.
IMG_20170225_113520275.jpg

Not having battery or tank inserts on the hull was a detail I had not thought through either. Luckily, an order to JM for some UFO mounts will help solve this issue! Not a big deal, but just some details I never even considered. I’m still pretty new to the sport.

I’ve ordered (what I hope) is the last few things I need to build this. Waiting on a custom drive shaft to come in so the fun can begin! I didn’t like the idea of machining a stock midshaft to press further into the hull, so I’m using a GP800 midshaft with a custom driveshaft. (Also thanks to JM)
17159153_616493145228518_8684496757026952359_o-2.jpg

I love the way this hull looks. I’ve read great things about the way they ride… I've also heard great things about their predecessor, the xft hulls.
I know I won’t be disappointed when I get this thing on the water for the first time. But getting there is more of a journey than I anticipated. I'm happy with the build quality, and really can't wait to brap for the first time with this thing!
I wanted to share the experience for anyone that was looking to get into an AM hull. Always over estimate your budget! :)

Will post more as time permits.

Yea. Part of me wishes I would have had them machine the mid shaft... but honestly I think I'll be happier with a custom drive shaft and a stock GP800 mid shaft.
I do wish I would have had them mill the wear ring housing though.
I'm getting ancy to get it all together!

I actually sold the ski before I built it. But I did just recently acquire a used one last month.. Still debating on if I'll get around to building it.

It'll likely get built, probably not this winter though.
I think I need to just sell that and my Apex. Then get a carbon apex.

Kelvin Composites purchased the mold for the Apex.

Originally I was talking to @afraz1er about buying them since we both love the way the ski handles. Ultimately, we decided against it because it's unlikely we would have actually built them...
So we didn't need space taken up in the garage for it!

Top Bottom