Crazy Joe's BAM V2 build

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Glad you made it to the water. Make sure to loctite the carb linkage screws. And swap the fuel line for OEM when you can.

Glad you made it to the water. Make sure to loctite the carb linkage screws. And swap the fuel line for OEM when you can.

Good tips. I will switch the fuel line over during the long winter.

A little update, after dealing with a bad stator at about 30 minutes ride time, I finally got the ski mostly dialed in. Initially, I had a terrible lean hesitation from idle to 1/4 where the ski would actually die if I went wot from idle. I went out to about two and a half turns out on the low screw (120 pilot) and got that mostly dialed out. I upped my idle so that the ski will not stall off throttle and that helped too. I cannot seem to source pilot jets bigger than 120 for the SBN carbs. Anyone know if they make them?

I am still getting fuel dribbling down the carb from the venturi after a quick wot cut running on my stand. Pop off tested at 32 to 34 psi each carb with 2.0 n/s and gold springs. I ordered a set of 1.8 n/s and black springs to give that a go. I am also going to double up on the check valve discs as I was reading in the Mikuni tuning manual that can help with excess pressure or leaking of some sort. I don't quite understand what those check valves do.

Now that I have 2 hours on the engine, I backed my oil ratio down to 40:1 using skicraft.

I am trying to get this engine dialed in so I can grab a handful of throttle right from idle and have it pull hard. I am not quite there but getting close. Its very ride-able now. Looking forward to taking it out after work today to get more tray time.

Finally got the engine to pull hard from idle to WOT. I backed my N/S down to a 1.8 with a black spring which netted me about 26 psi pop off. I still need to tune the needles and lean it out some but it pulls nice with no hesitation now! I doubled up on the check valves in the carbs but still have fuel dribbling out the venturi after a WOT cut. It runs good so I guess it is not a concern. Just kind of wondering what actually causes this.

Also, I am officially titled and registered in Michigan!

IMG_20191015_165829_01.jpg

I got one of my ski related winter projects done. After spending all weekend making this, I have a lot more respect for people that can sew! It is not easy to make flat fabric conform to a 3D object and have it look presentable when complete.

I had an SXR 800 cover on backorder for the last few months so I canceled that and decided to make my own. I started with a cheap polyester from the local fabric store and just started nipping and tucking until I was happy with the fitment. I then cut the seams out and laid the pieces on the canvas as a template. Once I was done I decided that the polyester would be a good underlayer so my cover is actually dual layered. I ran elastic cord through a pocket that I sewed up at the bottom to keep it snug on the ski. I left enough material in the sides so that if I shorten the bars in the future the cover will still fit. I am stoked with how it came out.

The polyester template (on upside down for nipping and tucking)
IMG_20200103_205017.jpg

The final cover with the polyester layer sewed in underneath:
IMG_20200105_194657.jpg
IMG_20200105_194648.jpg

I can’t believe I didn’t see this thread until now! Joe is almost finished building me a CF hull. I’m putting my 701 in it for this summer but plan to grab an ET 1107 for next year. This build seems too easy. You’ve put my mind at ease. I just wish I could see my hull. I live close to Engine Tech, so I can drop in on them for engine help, but with the border closed, I can’t drive the 3.5 hours to Crazy Joe’s to see my hull, or pick it up when it’s done.

Fancy fate

Can't have anything nice.
I can’t believe I didn’t see this thread until now! Joe is almost finished building me a CF hull. I’m putting my 701 in it for this summer but plan to grab an ET 1107 for next year. This build seems too easy. You’ve put my mind at ease. I just wish I could see my hull. I live close to Engine Tech, so I can drop in on them for engine help, but with the border closed, I can’t drive the 3.5 hours to Crazy Joe’s to see my hull, or pick it up when it’s done.

I seen your hull. SICKKKK looking!

The pictures he sent me are exactly what I was hoping for. He nailed it. I’m beyond excited to get it home.

You will love it. He does great work. Make sure to do a build thread once you start! Let @kurtmckurtie or I know if you have any questions during the build.

Also, PM me if you want a cover for it. I have made 5 now and moved on to using Surlast canvas. Here is my most recent:
IMG_20200424_095614.jpgIMG_20200424_095628.jpg

Your cover looks great, but my experience with covers is that it makes things more attractive to mice in the winter. Easier for them to climb too. When I stopped covering my bike, they stopped going in.

I'm slowly getting into my build. I'm documenting everything but haven't had time to start a build thread. Just a question for you since you have the same hull and pole. What length are your tubes? I have to cut mine but haven't figured out how long yet.

If you have a bam hull and are using an ovp steering, a good length to be is to have the bottom collar of the ovp right in the dead center of the hood foam pad. Hope this makes sense. I can take pics or measurements when I am home later if you need.

If you have a bam hull and are using an ovp steering, a good length to be is to have the bottom collar of the ovp right in the dead center of the hood foam pad. Hope this makes sense. I can take pics or measurements when I am home later if you need.

That makes sense. Thanks. I’ll start a couple inches longer than that and slowly cut it down.

D3C769FD-67A1-450A-9246-9E97B0846BB0.jpegPicked up this white BAM hull from WV this past fall. Seems it has changed hands quite a few times and now I got it back in Michigan where it belongs. I ran it a few times end of season with my 701, other SN parts, and this ugly pole. My winter project is getting it it’s own clean parts so I can sell my SN. Considering a jet maniac 781 for a power plant, but I know it originally had the same ET you have in yours

Top Bottom