Freestyle Dasa 850 SS carnage

DK-Freestyle

2011 World Champion
I'm no engine expert by any means - I simply assume water ingestion wasn't the culprit because all crank failures I've seen from water at least make the rod bend, twist, blow out bearings, etc. This had none of it, just a crank rod split right in half. For as much as Tyrant rides the dang thing, that motors been a trooper!

Tyrant1919

Site Supporter
I've ingested water 3 times. Nothing too crazy. This was during the winter, maybe February timeframe. I think that had nothing to do with it. Bearings were all prestine. The wrist pins had some wear which I think might have contributed to this. Or the rod just :):):):)ing broke. It was a real clean break. Nothing bent, like a hairline crack was there all along and it finally gave out from all the awesome I was dishing out that day. For the record the motor was running very good that day. Granted I opened up the middle screw on my pipe header so I figured it was due to that. Recent problems with the motor, Stator/flywheel/bendix destroyed the week or two before. The B-pipe chamber was overheating, took the header off and cleaned all the water injection holes. Began the last ride with the middle screw, and bottom screw open a full turn. Definately no overheating, but had a very nice pop to it.

You know your engine better than the posters. I think the reason (myself included) bring up water ingestion is because it has been stated a few times that you had 150-200 hours on the engine and the pistons/domes show little to no wash or carbon. That is usually a sign of water,espescially having so many hours on it. Good luck getting it back together and hope its even better than before.

Tyrant1919

Site Supporter
My pistons have been clean since day one. run a bit rich I think. every time I looked down the plugs the piston tops were clean as a whistle. I'm blaming it on my reluctance to rebuild it. I actually asked jet maniac if he had rebuild stuff for a dasa two months ago.

Tyrant1919

Site Supporter
I got to look at the parts again at the clinic. Derrick Sr thinks the rod just broke. The wrist pins were worn a bit, but nonetheless intact. I'd have to agree. Anyways, just a good excuse to upgrade. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376793038.140948.jpg

Looks nice, especially like the tank. You still have odd pistons. No matter what our jetting is /was after that many hours there has to be something on the piston. Not doubting lack of maintnence and care led to the failure,but I don't think anyone has seen a 150-200 hour piston look like it came out of the box.

Tyrant1919

Site Supporter
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376799735.874543.jpg

Taken a month or two before destruction. Wasn't running right. Less thrust. :):):):)ed with carb settings, all over the place. Checked the head, back piston is brand new, front has a very new char prolly from me screwing with carbs. Had a small twig stuck between pump vanes. DER. Front char eventually goes away.

Top Bottom