DIY Total loss or MSD TL upgrade box 270USD?

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
What generation module are we discussing? I tested one of the first gen models back to back with a stock setup and forgot to swap the flywheels and found that the OEM wouldn’t fire right. I can’t remember the specifics though.

Now, in newer setups, a change has been made that I am not fully read up on. IIRC, it just means you don’t have to grind off the third lump anymore.?.?.?

You wouldn’t think that’s a big deal but if simplifies the conversion and lets you swap back to a stock CDI, that’s not a bad option to have.

yeah i agree the newer zeel a02t model would be ideal because you dont have to modify the flywheel. so if it fails, you could just put the oem cdi back in without having to swap everything else.

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
When we first mapped the 64X CDI, we recorded a flat curve of 12deg. I was about to post my results with some questions when I remembered the third lump. I dug up another flywheel that still had the lump and was able to record the posted curve.

The OEM CDI has to see that third lump to function correctly.

Here's the result from running without the 3rd lump

I swear, Quinc has a better memory of what I've posted than I do, lol.

Last edited:

waxhead

wannabe backflipper
I ran it, it will run fine, I felt like it moved my rev limiter up with the 3rd lump missing. Im not sure if it runs the advanced map of the retarded map however

Jcary85

Site Supporter
hey guys - check my logic real quick. I was helping a local rider diagnose an issue with his ski running like crap. Checked his zeel curve and it looked like it was out of the batch that was never programmed - 15 degrees straight across and 40 degree static angle. So, I fixed it, but, what timing would the motor have seen? I THINK it would be equivalent to 31 degrees straight across but I might have that backwards.

I think you are correct. When it gets the trigger signal it will wait (40-15) degrees to fire, which is 25 degrees.

From the actual 56 degree static angle, subtract 25 degrees that the zeel waited, and you are 31 deg from tdc.

waxhead

wannabe backflipper
hey guys - check my logic real quick. I was helping a local rider diagnose an issue with his ski running like crap. Checked his zeel curve and it looked like it was out of the batch that was never programmed - 15 degrees straight across and 40 degree static angle. So, I fixed it, but, what timing would the motor have seen? I THINK it would be equivalent to 31 degrees straight across but I might have that backwards.
Yup spot on
its 56 degrees, so if you want 30 degrees it will hold for 26 degrees before it releases the spark
if you get your static angle short say 50 degrees then it will only hold it for 20 degrees
So if you set the static wrong then you can advance the timing to a point where you need a new engine

Jcary85

Site Supporter
Thanks for confirming guys. Of course, now I’m wondering if this wasn’t his only issue. He was complaining of no bottom end on a 8mm stroker. Will have to wait for the ride report

Should probably start a new thread in the Tech section with the setup info etc and have Zeeltronics in the title. :)
Totally agree. I'm not going to read through 64 pages to figure out what I need to do. Would love a summary of what is needed and what is working the best as a general rule. If such a thing exists..........

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
Just to be certain, make sure his battery is 100%. I was chasing a loss of power for a while before I realized my battery was on it's way out. I put a new battery in and there was a noticeable difference in how my ski ran.

beerdart

4-Tec Jetmate
Totally agree. I'm not going to read through 64 pages to figure out what I need to do. Would love a summary of what is needed and what is working the best as a general rule. If such a thing exists..........
Agree something in the tech talk now that the zeel is working on Yamaha Kawasaki Seadoo and Polaris.

waxhead

wannabe backflipper
Just to be certain, make sure his battery is 100%. I was chasing a loss of power for a while before I realized my battery was on it's way out. I put a new battery in and there was a noticeable difference in how my ski ran.
This is the very same reason why not to go total loss. the ski actually gets a better spark with a charging system

Does anyone know if he fixed that issue with the handheld of not being able to go above 40 for static angle? Only reason I’m going with the USB version as I don’t want to do math if I don’t have to haha

Hi guys

I never registered here before but this thread made me think I better share

I installed a zeel 01s on my 650x2 a few years ago now, was probably the first in uk and maybe world, certainly wasn’t many doing it then and borut had no info.

I spoke to wax who was super helpful with the basic principles but again had no info for kawi

so I used the diagrams in the manual (RTFM!) to start working out my static angle

I printed out a degree wheel and eyeballed the stator cover to measure the pickup to tdc, I’m sorry I can’t remember the numbers now. Also I measured the start of the pickup band to tdc, which was something in the 90s from memory. Subtracted the two and got 46, which made me think ok so that means when the band first passes the pickup, the motor is at 46° BTDC.

MAKES SENSE SO FAR

measured a few more times and yep good to go

I installed the system and got a spark and sure enough she fired up.

wax had told me about setting the 10° curve but when I cranked my motor over I got 52° on my timing light... WTF?!

I Spoke to wax again, he was on his way to work lol being down under, and it clicked to him that 52 = 13x4

OF COURSE

a Kawi flywheel band starts at “46°” and ends at 13, which is the timing the motor idles and runs at UNTIL the first timing point on curve

and my timing light was reading 4x because it was a 2 stroke wasted spark motor, so 4 sparks per revolution!

anyway so we are in business right?

fired it up again and as soon as it was over 1500 rpm it sat at about 11° timing (well, 44/4 = 11) so I adjusted the static angle to 47° and it was all good

Been all good for a few years and installed a few other systems running same too. Not quite sure where the 56° measurement comes from, I can’t see those numbers anywhere.

as for k1100, did you know you can use a 750 flywheel cover on an 1100?

I don’t but I believe people do because it gives more clearance.

if so, the pickup location must be the same angle to tdc. I just need to measure up an 1100 flywheel and I’ll be able to work out the static angle to see.

Top Bottom