How deep do skis sink?

Yeah it depends on the ski, my wdk rip will sink faster than a flat rock, about the same as a round rock. The superfreaks have air chambers under the tray...at least in theory. I have never had one all the way under, but they can have a lot of water inside and still float, so if you have a bulkhead in that ski with foam it could have taken quite a while to hit bottom.

DylanS

Gorilla Smasher
My EME I had would sink like a rock, and I mean literally like a rock. Tore off two scupper flaps and both times by the time I realized what was happening it had water over the carbs and was going down like a brick. My buddies Arial 8 was the same way. I would spend most of your time looking where it went down.
That’s extremely helpful, thanks a ton man!

I have seen so many of these threads why and how are standups STILL sinking!?

We friggin know they get ridden hard and things happen that can let water in NO DOUBT!

So why are people building/selling/buying skis with zero/not enough foam?

I really hope you find it man....

DylanS

Gorilla Smasher
I have seen so many of these threads why and how are standups STILL sinking!?

We friggin know they get ridden hard and things happen that can let water in NO DOUBT!

So why are people building/selling/buying skis with zero/not enough foam?

I really hope you find it man....
Thanks buddy! Honestly at this point I might just have a funeral for it haha I’m starting to get worried it’ll never show up

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
Have you ever seen any object other than a fish suspended? Things either float or sink. Fish and submarines have to actively keep themselves suspended.

That's not how submarines work. I served on them, you get neutrally buoyant by either bringing water on or pumping it overboard. Scuba divers do the same thing (I used to be an instructor), you adjust the air in your BC to get neutral for whatever depth you're at.

Bringing on water or pumping it overboard would be the "actively keep themselves suspended" that I was referring to. Fish do it too they have bladders with gas that they use to regulate buoyancy, that's why dead fish usually float they loose control of those bladders and they usually have enough gas to have positive buoyancy.

Even then you're really in a situation of floating or sinking really slowly, unless you're in a situation where there is a big density gradient it's not a completely steady state thing. If you had no forward movement for control eventually you float up or sink down. If you're really close to neutral buoyancy it doesn't take much, but you can't suspend indefinitely without taking some active measure.

It’s likely in the vicinity of where it went down... only concern is how far it may have went if the engine was still running when it went under and submarined a short distance ?

Can a diver walk the area or can the area be dragged with a type of rake from the surface or something ?

It's all relative I guess. I have a lake near me that averages only 20-100 ft deep and is 71 square miles/45,500 acres. To me that's huge.

Right. It's all relative. That's spot on. While 100' deep is a lot different than 40' deep, I guess there's not necessarily a defacto correlation between depth and total area. Just looking for specifics.

Lake Erie only averages 60 feet....pretty big lake!
Erie's max depth is more like 200 feet. So, max... average... blah blah blah... I just want to know which lake it is, I guess. Then I could find all the data I want on it. Me knowing this doesn't in fact help the owner in any way, so it's just academic.

Roseand

Ready to RIP
Site Supporter
Not helpful now but insurance is pretty cheap. I pay 200$ a year for 10k coverage.

I just emailed my local state farm agent. All I said was I have a WDK jetski registered as homemade with a state-issued HIN. He said they do not do policies for "custom trick jetskis"

You are one of the only people I've heard of getting more than just liability on an am hull besides when wake zone was a thing.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
I just emailed my local state farm agent. All I said was I have a WDK jetski registered as homemade with a state-issued HIN. He said they do not do policies for "custom trick jetskis"

You are one of the only people I've heard of getting more than just liability on an am hull besides when wake zone was a thing.

Call the guy I posted the link to. My bob and my reaper are registered as home made. He has also insured rickters and many others.

Top Bottom