Injury prevention tips

Gainera2582

Power and Agility
Bump for summer tip: Remember to take walks everyday(and you should anyway) in addition to whatever your doing. Even if its 10-15 minutes, it will help your posture tremendously and its good for flexibility,injury prevention, and recovery. Swinging the arms while moving actually helps the discs in your back if you have a back injury.

Gainera2582

Power and Agility
Copied post from other thread:
BACK HEALTH EXERCISES
:
Wayne State grad as well. After you foam roll, heres the exercises I would do to loosen up your hips(can be done every day, every other day, w/e you prefer):

Fire hydrants
YouTube - Fire Hydrants - Glute Activation Exercise

Band walks
YouTube - Band Walks (straight leg)

Glute bridges
YouTube - Glute Bridge - Nutrex Solutions

Also a good stretch for your back before exercise(not in morning regardless of what video says, wait about an hr if you can per mcgills studies):

YouTube - Weight Training - Cat and Camel - Sports Training

I do about 10 reps generally on each side(glute bridge just 10 reps), but focus on quality and not quantity. in the first two, you are trying to get your gluteus medius firing, and the kickback in your fire hydrant will active the gluteus maximus. The xband walk will also do the gluteus medius activation, but remember it should be felt mainly there, not in your back and keep you feet straight.

For the glute bridge, try to squeeze your butt cheeks together without using your hamstrings primarily. The glutes should be activated first. If the hams dominate the movement, touch your quads lighty to inhibit them. If that doesn't work, stretch your hamstrings and groin(after foam roller) before doing this and it should be real easy to do.

Lastly, don't forget to include some of the birddogs in your core work and plank bridges/side bridges. These really help strengthen your core without doing a bunch of useless compressive crunches or situps:

Planks:

Side
YouTube - Core Muscle Toning & Strength Exercises : Side Plank Exercise for Core Muscle Toning & Strength

Front
YouTube - Ab Exercises: The Plank

Birddogs:

YouTube - Exercises to Reduce Back Pain : Exercises for Back Pain Relief: The Bird Dog

Last edited:

Gainera2582

Power and Agility
A bump and tip for the winter:

Make sure to move around and do some offseason training since we are less likely to be outside(for the northeners at least). Also, don't forget to stretch before bed after a warm shower to relax your body for a restful night's sleep.

Gainera2582

Power and Agility
Pain got you down? Start paying attention to your posture. Belt point down(anterior pelvic tilt) causing back and hip pain? Start doing some glute activation and strengthening exercises(romanian deadlifts, pull throughs, longer lunge variations) with stretching of the hip flexor, quadriceps, and tensor fascia late.

What about your shoulders? Always hurting when your bench pressing or at the computer? Start stretching the chest and shoulder area and add in some rowing and pulling movements to bring your shoulders back to a retracted position. Most of us have protacted(shoulders forward) shoulders due to excessive computer usage, hunching when we sit, and/or do too much bench pressing exercises.

These are just some examples of common problems we face. The only way to get stronger is to attack your weakness, which most of us have the above problems to some degree. Also, you can undo what your trying to correct if you don't implement good habits throughout the day. Consider walking around more and adding in 10-20 min a day(or more when built up if possible) to keep your hip and shoulder mobility up to par.

Gainera2582

Power and Agility
Remember to keep those butt muscles engaged. One way you can do this is to walk on pebbles or rocks barefoot trying to engage your butt muscles when you push off your foot.

Strong glutes prevent back, hip, shoulder, and ankle pain. It is the core of the body.

Last edited:

Gainera2582

Power and Agility
Have a bathtub your not using? Consider getting some epsom salts and taking a couple baths each week. They are high in Magnesium sulfate which relaxes and detoxifies the body. Also great for people with dry skin issues. Can get some at Walgreens for super cheap.

R

ridethelip

Pain got you down? Start paying attention to your posture. Belt point down(anterior pelvic tilt) causing back and hip pain? Start doing some glute activation and strengthening exercises(romanian deadlifts, pull throughs, longer lunge variations) with stretching of the hip flexor, quadriceps, and tensor fascia late.

What about your shoulders? Always hurting when your bench pressing or at the computer? Start stretching the chest and shoulder area and add in some rowing and pulling movements to bring your shoulders back to a retracted position. Most of us have protacted(shoulders forward) shoulders due to excessive computer usage, hunching when we sit, and/or do too much bench pressing exercises.

These are just some examples of common problems we face. The only way to get stronger is to attack your weakness, which most of us have the above problems to some degree. Also, you can undo what your trying to correct if you don't implement good habits throughout the day. Consider walking around more and adding in 10-20 min a day(or more when built up if possible) to keep your hip and shoulder mobility up to par.

implement good habits throughout the day.
I like this I think everybody slouches and rounds their back forward increasing forces on their discs. How about proper lifting? Who knows someone who said one day I just moved a certain way wasn't lifting that much then the pain came.Resulting in a bulging or herniated disc. Like this could happen any time and our bodies are just fragile. Chances are high that the damage was done by poor posture or lifting incorrectly compounded by twisting long ago repeatedly. I think the implementing good habits as far as posture , sitting , standing and lifting correctly should be at the top of the list.I'm glad jetski's on the wet sand are not heavy.

LIFTING
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpqWRmD-INI

The best thing you can do to prevent injury is to lift freeweights. Strong bodies have insane tolerance. If you can lift 1000 pounds total in the deadlift, squat, and bench press you can take A LOT of abuse.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
The best thing you can do to prevent injury is to lift freeweights. Strong bodies have insane tolerance. If you can lift 1000 pounds total in the deadlift, squat, and bench press you can take A LOT of abuse.

timthumb.php

With all due respect, I completely disagree. That is one way to push the body in to further pain, injury and dysfunction.

Addressing the root of the problem is the ONLY way to address the pain.

I applaud everyone's willingness to discuss where and what this problem stems from and how to address it. However, no one is taking into account the body's ability to adapt to a dysfunction in the first place. (I'm going to address environmental influence here, something NO ONE considers when assessing health) I'll keep the terms simplistic

Culprit: Adaptation to a lifestyle of sitting
If you have spent ANY long period of time sitting in your life, you're bound to have tightened hip flexors therefore forward drop of the hips (anterior shift). This leads to lower back pain, over use of the quadriceps even during movements that require other muscles like the butt (glute max) to do their job. Leads to tightened rectus ab, leads to rounded thoracic, leads to inward rotation of shoulders and on and on. WE ALL HAVE IT as long as you're not still a native of your tribe untouched by society living in the jungle ;)

Exacerbate this by adding load or weight to further ingrain this dysfunction, and further exacerbate it by standing in a forwardly slumped position while riding, and you'll have issues galore! I know I do!!

Its a given that the body's anatomy and biology is not designed to be 'fixed' to a machine to propel us. Therefore, how can the dynamics of a human musculature system adapt to the static standing position of 'surf' especially under load! Take the back flip position, it is also static under load. Take any position on a ski, you apply load to a body position that is not functional from a biologically and anatomical perspective.

The body adapts, by going into dysfunction given the context of its anatomy, and you have a recipe for injury.

So NO, in that context adding weight and lifting 10x more than you're used to will not help you train for your sport. Its logical to say it would, but taking into account these dysfunctions due to our environment, and dysfunctions that the sport itself causes, can only lead to more pain and dysfunction. So sit-ups, planks, shoulder presses. . . NONE of that will help you get back to neutral. It only builds upon the problem you have in the first place. Address the source first, then add functional movement, NOT just exercises that isolate parts of the body to make them strong. Body works in INTEGRATION to get its strength. Efficiently drawing upon the musculature systems already in place will build their strength through neuro association.

Conclusion: Myofascial Release of restricted areas, and corrective exercise based on transverse planar movements (functional) to get the body back to a neutral state is the only way to truly relieve the body of pain caused by these dysfunctions.

check out a quick clip of addressing hand dysfunction and see how it ties in. arm pump, overuse injury, and carpal tunnel syndrome are RARELY addressed with myofascial release, and furthermore have NEVER been looked at in conjunction to INTEGRATION to the rest of the body. But when you see how hip dysfunction plays into shoulder dysfunction, you'll see how a seemingly simple overuse issue might be fixed easier.

Check out working with specific surf riding dysfunction. . .

As a rider myself, I have put these methods into practice and not only learned a lot about the human body by doing so, but I have addressed pain issues, as well as strength and endurance issues because of it. In the end it will come down to a question of personal morals. Is it worth putting my body into a dysfunctional state to ride this way? What steps can I take to keep my body as pain free and functional as I can while engaging in this sport?

I hope this helps.

FUNCTIONALPATTERNS.COM

I would also disagree. With that thought process my good friend who played college football and was the strongest on his team should have been bulletproof. He suffered a career ending injury and seems to get hurt doing anything that is considered the least bit extreme.

Gainera2582

Power and Agility
Remember guys, keep things simple when training. If your posture sucks, you need to FIX IT 23 HOURS A DAY AND NOT JUST 1. If your lacking strength(which we all do regardless of how strong you are), you need to attack your weak links and make them your priority. Flexibility comes with strength. Practice moving in and out of positions to make that flexibility stick. Self-massage aka myofascial release works great if done frequently. Pausing in your weightlifting exercises(which i have found) make A HUGE DIFFERENCE in your flexibility and injury prevention. Using variations of the same exercise(example front squat, back squat, overhead squat) creates a great stimulus for your body, and helps to avoid pattern overload while still continuing to make progress on all the lifts.

For conditioning, simply jumping rope, sprinting, rowing, running, pushing a sled, dragging a sled, circuit training, etc.. at least a few times per week. Remember to train at about 70% to 80% of what you can actually do no matter if it is weightlifting or conditioning. We work 40+ hour work weeks, and your never going to be at 100% all the time. You will still make great gains, and sometimes might even surprise yourself if you program your training accordingly.

Top Bottom