Other Milwaukee M18 - Now the Milwaukee Tool thread

Roseand

Ready to RIP
Site Supporter
Pretty sure this will be the Milwaukee deal of the year right here!

I had planned to wait another year before upgrading to the M18 but this deal is way too good to pass up.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...CH=REC-_-rv_cartempty_rr-_-NA-_-308992677-_-N
Good deal but get yourself a fuel impact someday as well! At our shop we just switched to fuels/brushless and they're night and day better. We use the 3/8 drive fuel on stuff we were using the 1/2 drive regular on before.

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
I can count on one hand how many times I've used an impact in my life.

I'm actually thinking of selling off half the tools, including the Impact. I only want 4 of the tools but the kit with just those 4 tools was the exact same price and only came with 2 batteries.

I can't stress my agreement with @Roseand

My brother and I made the jump to Milwaukee M18 about 6 years ago and its been a rule that we only buy Fuel when available. That said, we are in residential construction and using the tools frequently

My buddy was doing a home reno last year and thought he could by without going fuel. He regrets it with the circular saw as you cannot rip any 1.5" material.

Food for thought and hope you are happy with it.

OCD Solutions

Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Yeah, I have been using Milwaukee tools longer than Rosie's been alive plus another 5 years and some change.

If I was still contracting then I would likely agree but I'm not. I also still have all my corded tools so when I find a task that my cordless tools can't handle, like cutting an 1.5" slab, I pull out a real tool.

I started out when the best cordless tools on the market were in the 7.2V range and absolutely useless. I invested in a Honda generator and Milwaukee corded tools.

bird

walking on water
Site Supporter
Yeah, I have been using Milwaukee tools longer than Rosie's been alive plus another 5 years and some change.

If I was still contracting then I would likely agree but I'm not. I also still have all my corded tools so when I find a task that my cordless tools can't handle, like cutting an 1.5" slab, I pull out a real tool.

I started out when the best cordless tools on the market were in the 7.2V range and absolutely useless. I invested in a Honda generator and Milwaukee corded tools.

I'm so old I remember when Milwaukee tools were actually made in...Milwaukee. Right next to County Stadium. Who care's how old you are @OCD Tech Support ? Everyone knows the best tools are made by Binford.

Zero Client

BeerrroooOOOT!!!
OCD,

This is almost the exact Milwaukee M18 tool kit that I actually have. I bought mine on black Friday 2018 for that same price too, $600, but it came with a hammer drill and also an M18 blower. I am happy with the set, and have even expanded it by an additional 5 tools and bigger batteries (Fan, hedger, chainsaw, vacuum, shop light), a 5A and a 12A battery.

Couple notes:

-This kit is 100% BRUSHED. It is NOT a brushless tool kit. When Milwaukee says FUEL; its Brushless else its the older brushed stuff.
-The 3x 4.0amp batteries are good for the kit but don't work well in the Chainsaw (12A), and the hedge trimmer (9A). They work, but die off quick.
-My skill saw out of the box was hanging a hard right even after proper adjustment, new blade, and servicing. THD replaced it in store and the replacement is perfect.
-My drill, which in my kit was also hammer capable (2607-20), won't stay in 2nd gear when on hammer-drill unless I force it to stay in. It was like this out of the box as well and surfaced its ugly head when drilling a dozen concrete holes. Its been returned to service and right now I am out an 18v drill.

In all, I definitely recommend this kit all except for the drill actually. The drill, you'll use probably 4x more than any other tool in the kit probably, and if I had the option I would have had just that one tool in a better BRUSHLESS version.

I freaking love and highly recommend the Milwaukee cordless M18 fan, and also the handheld vacuum. I grab my drill and vac at the same time now and don't ever drop drill shavings on the floor anymore, holding one in each hand.

Last edited:

OCD Solutions

Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Pretty hard to beat black Friday. I just had money burning a hole in my pocket when I came across this deal.

My #1 go-to tool has always been the 1/2" hammer/driver drill which this kit seems to break out into 2 separate devices so if I find I don't care for that as much, I'll take the above advice and at least upgrade the drill to a 1/2" Fuel hammer/driver. Everything else would get used so infrequently that they will more than suffice.

I have a hard time putting too much faith in battery operated tools so I have always considered them "supplemental" and really only invested in the cordless drills. I got a deal on an 18V combo kit about 10 years ago that had the 6.5" Skilsaw and hacksaw version of the Sawzall. The Hacksaw is just too awkward to be effective but the Skilsaw has proven to be awesome for certain things but it is still no replacement for my corded 10" circular saw that I bought for a fraction of the cost. The 1/2" hammer/driver drill is a beast and is still going as strong as ever.

Zero Client

BeerrroooOOOT!!!
Actually I like the M18 HackZaw. I did have my doubts going from an old 18v Hitachi NiCD which was full-sized sawzall. The HackZaw is a one-handed sawzall and it works well for a battery operated tool for me. Again I hold it in one hand and an M18 vacuum in the other. You can chop up some fiberglass, wood, and I've even cut 1.25" granite with a diamond blade single handed.

Getting a much bigger house necessitates all these tools lol.

BTW THD is running in-store combo sales of their M12 stuff. 2 batteries, a charger, and a tool starts at $99. There are $50 incremental steps for better tools too.

OCD Solutions

Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Which version do you have? Mine is the older one that is long like the corded Sawzall and pivots in the middle.

Now that I have a few of the M18 batteries, I'll likely start picking up deals on the fan and LED lights more than actual power tools. Storm season is coming!

Work is heavily invested in M18 already so I get to play with the different tools all the time.
- M12 cordless soldering iron is no match for my Weller soldering station but it is portable and not an open flame like the butane versions.
- M18 cordless heat gun. Once again, no match against my adjustable temperature corded unit but it is portable and convenient for one-offs and small jobs but useless in anything under a 4.0 Ah battery. Loses more points for not being adjustable temp than it does for being battery powered.
- M18 Skilsaw outfitted with 5Ah batteries - surprisingly adequate, even when cutting rough 2x12 southern yellow pine. Would be even better with bigger batteries like the 8 or 12Ah but that could be said for all of these tools. Prefer a 10" blade for straighter cuts.
- M18 wire cutter - cuts decent enough but very expensive for what it is. Who cuts enough big gauge wire to justify the expense over a pair of ratcheting cutters?
- M18 knock-out punch set - now these are brilliant and a huge improvement over the hydraulic sets.
- M12 sub compact bandsaw - this is my personal favorite but I got it for only $149 new. Way more expensive than a hacksaw but soooo much faster and convenient.
- M18 Deep cut Bandsaw - The jury is still out on this one. I use my corded one very infrequently but when I do, I think the cordless version would be so much handier. Battery size will be key deciding factor.

I would love to render down my collection of tools but am holding off because I believe we will end up building another house at some point.

Zero Client

BeerrroooOOOT!!!
Storm season you say? I needed a chainsaw, and found a good deal on the M18 Fuel chainsaw. Its able to cut down several trees on one 12A battery charge. Very impressive! No messing with gas, hearing, its quiet, safe, and very capable. I'm sure you already have a gas chainsaw though

OCD Solutions

Site Supporter
Vendor Account

OCD Solutions

Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Storm season you say? I needed a chainsaw, and found a good deal on the M18 Fuel chainsaw. Its able to cut down several trees on one 12A battery charge. Very impressive! No messing with gas, hearing, its quiet, safe, and very capable. I'm sure you already have a gas chainsaw though

Just my limber saw - Husqvarna Rancher 150 with a 20" bar that I paid $100 for used about 20 years ago. It's loud and oily though.
I sold off my falling saw a few years ago. One of the old original Husqvarna 1200's with a 36" bar. It was older than me and still running strong. Now that thing was a beast!

Zero Client

BeerrroooOOOT!!!
I think you'll use that old SawZall less and less with your new 1-handed HackZall replacing it.

They are only different in that the Fuel is the newer stuff. I'd pay for the Fuel over that other Brushless hammer drill because the clutch selector mechanism is simpler and better on the Fuel tool. On the fuel, its one adjustment from 0-18, then skips over to drill, then hammer. On the other brushless the clutch strength and screw/drill/hammer are two separate selections and can get slightly twisted and confusing. Fuel is simpler which is better and it works.

OCD Solutions

Site Supporter
Vendor Account
I only used it 2-3 times in the last 10 years anyways, plus I plan to put all my old 18V Ni-Cad stuff together and sell off the whole kit while the batteries are still in decent condition.

You guys wore me down. I just ordered the 1/2" M18 Fuel Hammer drill and the M18 Fan.

Top Bottom