PowerFactor Exhaust (rides notes) (follow up to my TNT / PFP Thread)

Roo

it's all good
Site Supporter
I thought I should do a quick follow up thread to my previous thread, that compared back-to-back testing with PowerFactor and TNT components.

(located here: http://www.x-h2o.com/index.php?thre...powerfactor-exhaust-system-ride-notes.175648/)

In that thread, I conclude I personally prefer running the PowerFactor (wet and dry) setups over the TNT. Now that said, it comes with a cost, if you want to run the PowerFactor as a Dry Pipe, and stay running as a Dry Pipe... but remember I also made a small note, I did have an issue with a weld cracking on the TNT chamber in the previous thread.

Most people run the PowerFactor systems as wet pipes it seems these days, because the inner welds are known to break after awhile, causing water to leak into the main chamber (which if you have broken several like I have, you know exactly how the machine starts to act (like carburation / rich issues, which are ever changing)). The inner / main chamber is supposed to be BONE DRY. For those who can't visualize what a broken chamber is or looks like, this is what happens:

IMG_2360.JPG

If you don't care about running the pipe as a dry pipe (EVER), running a "broken" chamber as a wetpipe is AWESOME and in my opinion cannot be beat for bottom end power. The "proper" way of running one of these as a wet pipe, is to NOT use the water jacket, so water does not have an opportunity to leak into the main part of the chamber (your relying on a spray bar at the manifold for cooling the chamber and dialing in the power).

That said, I prefer to run the PowerFactor pipe, as a true Dry Pipe (the way it was designed and mean't to be ran from the start), for the VERY strong mid and top pull. BUT, in wanting to always run that setup, it has come at a cost (to me)... I have personally ran 4 different PowerFactor chambers, of which all of them finally let go and cracked internally.

That said, and in all fairness, that happened on chambers of mine up until around 2015 (averaging one a season). In recent times, they have gone through changes in material, welding techniques, etc. The chamber I currently have running as a Dry Pipe, I bought second hand this time around and have had zero problems with it thus far.

Last summer, I broke a chamber, received a new one, and it broke within 2 rides. Fortunately, it was warrantied no questions asked. 2 riders on my lake, also purchased brand new PowerFactor systems last season, running them as Dry Pipes and did NOT have any problems with there chambers all year, and they rag on there skis harder than I do.

So my conclusion, is not all Chambers are created equal. Some break quick, some last seasons. You have to pay to play in this sport. No exhaust is perfect in my years of this sport. We rag on our machines... stuff breaks. End of story. Even though there is drama involved in keeping a solid running Dry Pipe setup, I prefer it and will deal with the Drama.

Hope someone finds this information interesting :)
-Andrew

just as interesting as your last thread. The longer any product is out the more quality info surfaces on them. last yr this time,ton of pfp were for sale to finance the tnt,dont see any of that happening now.
You have alot of experience with the pfp,How much perceived power do you think is lost in running it wet compared to dry. We know its certainly much more easy to build a stamped wetpipe chamber,that sells for close to same price as doublewall dry pfp? Then again hiro had a multi port water injec pipe back 5 years ago in Roks ski that looked like it made more power by far than any other ski at finals...at that time.

N3vrSat1sfied

Military Member
just as interesting as your last thread. The longer any product is out the more quality info surfaces on them. last yr this time,ton of pfp were for sale to finance the tnt,dont see any of that happening now.
You have alot of experience with the pfp,How much perceived power do you think is lost in running it wet compared to dry. We know its certainly much more easy to build a stamped wetpipe chamber,that sells for close to same price as doublewall dry pfp? Then again hiro had a multi port water injec pipe back 5 years ago in Roks ski that looked like it made more power by far than any other ski at finals...at that time.

Just switched mine from wet to dry, very happy with power difference. IMO wet pipe is great to learn freestyle, gives you the extra bottom end power which lets you use slower approach. The dry doesn't hit as soon the power is much more mid and top which is ideal for combos.

Top Bottom