FX-1 Purple Madness

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
Site Supporter
If you saw this ski on fb marketplace for sale,l ended up with it.Picked it up today after a 6 hour drive with @Brappadoodle lt has Tom21 tubbies and 144 pump conversion.
l’ll give you some background on why l came to buy this ski.l started this same conversion before l built the infamous “Stunt Hull”.But chickened out after l started cutting it up.Yea,pretty crazy l know.l actually tried to buy my fx back a couple times after gaining some knowledge,but no luck.So,here l am now going back.

The ski came with the original exhaust pipe and hose.Also,the water lines and some miscellaneous parts.l also bought a jet dynamics ride plate,Worx’s pump shoe and watcon hood seal.Brappadoodle was kind enough to let me use some of his stash of fiberglass and a 144 pump.Got some other items,but will reveal them later in the build.This is going to be a slow build,so don’t hold your breath.Got a larger project to finish,before my wife whips my ass.And yes,there will be purple.

Starting tomorrow rechecking the alignment and making a plan. Sit back and enjoy the build

Attachments

• D6E3F627-5DD7-4751-8646-865B1E91AAD5.jpeg
    D6E3F627-5DD7-4751-8646-865B1E91AAD5.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 270
  • 2C6E68BB-C614-4BD1-A122-A8A162DBFE41.jpeg
    2C6E68BB-C614-4BD1-A122-A8A162DBFE41.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 223
  • 87A4AD74-DEEB-41C0-8C96-0B3054E3EA5D.jpeg
    87A4AD74-DEEB-41C0-8C96-0B3054E3EA5D.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 232

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
Site Supporter
Alignment isn’t too bad from a preliminary check yesterday.l may have to shim the front bolts just a little bit,but will know better later in the week when l have more time.

Not saying the previous owner did wrong,but the S glass used to hold the pump tunnel and box in has a number of bubbles to grind down.And also grind down some thickened epoxy on the underside.Once l can get that done,then l can start building up with a little more S glass,then move on to really getting some reinforcement around the whole area.l don’t want to finish and find small cracks where the the graft was made to install the 144 pump box and tunnel.

May be a few days before l post up again.

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
Site Supporter
@hornedogg79 like myself have a “number of irons in the fire” at this time.l think we both work on the hulls as we can.l am still collecting parts for this build. And brappadoodle is quietly working on his new project.Guess we will have team Fx come summertime

@hornedogg79 like myself have a “number of irons in the fire” at this time.l think we both work on the hulls as we can.l am still collecting parts for this build. And brappadoodle is quietly working on his new project.Guess we will have team Fx come summertime
Ohhhh yes, Sano has seen the heaps of work at my place haha. Im currently working hard on a crazy custom 1987 Toyota 4Runner, all while running through the FX-1 in my head. I have a feeling its gonna jump to the front of the line! But yes, Team FX is real!!! So excited :cool:

Post pics of the '87 4runner.
Just posted in Off-Topic

Sorry Don! Didn't mean to thread jack!!!

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
Site Supporter
Small update.l came across all the parts for a 144 pump build in my parts bin (*note to self,go thru your chit more often and actually find you already have what you need,before buying more),as well a driveshaft from a couch that l sent off to @Sasquachcrap (thanks) to be shortened (shortened to a Sn/Rn length).All back together with new pump bearings (more chit that l already had), and took it to @hornedogg79 (thank you) for the rebuild.Just lack a prop at this point.Thinking maybe tomorrow l will be able to align and epoxy the inserts to the pump tunnel.Then l can start adding all water lines,steering tube,and exhaust back under the tray.No scupper or trim tube will be added.

Was talking to a friend yesterday about the new garage he built and had someone come in and use the spray foam for insulation.They use closed cell foam which is waterproof and flame resistant.Isn’t that interesting.Pros,cons?? l will make some calls on monday and find out a little more and report back.l can’t imagine it would cost a great deal and what and if they use different densities,how would that work out?

Now back to the build.The alignment on the pump was fairly easy,but l will have to shim the two front bolts just a little bit and also add some washers to the bottom of the pump shoe to kick it out.Nothing big,just will keep it all lined up.

Slow progress

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
Site Supporter
Got the two rear pump inserts G-flexed in and installed and will do the two front ones tomorrow.
Also,Picked up a fx handle pole from a fellow rider.Trying to keep it original as possible.She is slowly coming together.

Attachments

• 1E2286C9-AFC5-437F-AE2F-72DC727BEE1E.jpeg
    1E2286C9-AFC5-437F-AE2F-72DC727BEE1E.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 635CAB5A-60A2-476C-91A7-68CD6B38A962.jpeg
    635CAB5A-60A2-476C-91A7-68CD6B38A962.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 112
  • B7EF0028-3864-4848-90BE-2D3F5D4E41FF.jpeg
    B7EF0028-3864-4848-90BE-2D3F5D4E41FF.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 124

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
Site Supporter
Spray Foam update.
Talked to a couple businesses that use the spray foam.Right off,it won’t work and too expensive.I spoke to one company and they seemed interested in helping answer some of my questions.But we decided it wouldn’t work.The most dense foam they spray is 2 lbs,but he said he knew of some 3.7 lb density,but expensive. The foam itself is water and fire resistant (good to know).And if l get to build a garage l would use in it.
But about $300 even if l was to show up when a job was being done.
Good idea,but back to the build.
Finished the inserts and l will encapsulate them this weekend in thickened epoxy.l’m also going to move the exhaust tube further down on the bulkhead so l can keep the tray open.
slow progress

Attachments

• E3FA2C74-1342-46EE-81F3-33EF9131078D.jpeg
    E3FA2C74-1342-46EE-81F3-33EF9131078D.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 140

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
Site Supporter
Got back on the purple madness today.Ground a bunch of bubbles in some S-glass which the previous owner used to install the 144 pump conversion.Nothing like going over and repairing someone else’s work,but had to be done.I still need to get in some of the tighter spaces.Probably another session to finish grinding it all out and then I’ll be ready to start laying some reinforcement to the conversion area.That just the inside right now.
Also worked on a tray that someone made with a raised pump area.Just some preliminary cuts,but looks like it’s gonna work.The fx is getting some rrp adjusted footholds,so the tray will give me something to tie it all together.Got some time to work on the ski and l should be able to commit more time now.

Attachments

• C763B498-FBAF-4A3A-93B7-39423BCA29AA.jpeg
    C763B498-FBAF-4A3A-93B7-39423BCA29AA.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 112
  • 5A6E18E1-E54C-4776-B63F-1B46059DE527.jpeg
    5A6E18E1-E54C-4776-B63F-1B46059DE527.jpeg
    143.4 KB · Views: 113

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
Site Supporter
Looks good. I was mocking some pump inserts today. Wish I coulda done it with the tray off.
Yes with all the foam out of it too!
I also got all the original waterlines,steering tube,and driveshaft tube which will make my life a little easier.As you can see the circle on the bulkhead is where the exhaust line will go.l’ll just have to do some modding on the pipe itself.

Top Bottom