Super Jet Superjet powerband question

I searched for a while and haven't really found anything, could be that i'm searching with the wrong key terms. Idk

I recently picked up my first sj, 6m6/61x combo, ported, enhancer, lightened flywheel, 180psi head, sbn 46, factory pipe, Solas YB-SC-I 14.5-18, Im running an ocean pro plate. It seems to be done up right and she absolutely rips. My main issue is it's light switch powerband. Right before it gets planed out (~3/8-1/2 throttle) it hits, jumps out of the water, pump unloads, and im back to where I started. Doesn't matter where I stand, how far over the pole I lean, or how much I try to feather the throttle (its either slow or holy sh*t). When I do manage to keep it hooked she flys but its a fight to get to that point. I wound up having to buy shoes because it shoots out from under me when I'm bare footed lol (needs new turf). I'm a bigger guy but I have no problems throwing around my x2 and 550 so I know its not a weight issue lol.

The top screw is open, middle looks to be close to closed, and bottom screw is closed. I installed a flow valve in the stinger which helped some but was barely noticeable.

Does this sound like a pipe tuning issue or is this a common trait of this kind of setup? I was expecting some good power(it has plenty) but I was hoping for a more manageable, linear powerband.:dunno: I feel like a shorter pole might help some but I'd rather rule out tuning before I pick up a rn pole to cut down.

Last edited:
The flow control valve helps to keep the waterbox emptied of water at lower speeds for more immediate throttle response, so if anything that should have hurt the symptoms you are describing.

I have a hunch that this "problem" will automatically go away on its own in a week or so...but other than that the only thing I can think of is that you need to find out what pitch and style impeller you have.

The flow control valve helps to keep the waterbox emptied of water at lower speeds for more immediate throttle response, so if anything that should have hurt the symptoms you are describing.

I have a hunch that this "problem" will automatically go away on its own in a week or so...but other than that the only thing I can think of is that you need to find out what pitch and style impeller you have.

My thought was the water box wasn't clearing out real well up until that point in the throttle position and cutting off the flow to the stinger at the low rpm range would help keep the water box clear thus reducing sudden "hit" when it got to that point... It seemed to help some but it may be all in my head. I've read that some people notice no difference at all with the FCV and some claim them to work wonders.. The engine does sound like its running smoother though.

I'd like to think that it was just a learning curve, stance issue, or something similar but I've put about 4.5 tanks through the ski since I've gotten it and nothing has really improved.. Prop is a Solas YB-SC-I 14.5-18

Dmac80sc

Site Supporter
You will get use to it. Going from a 550 and x2 to a 61x ported and so on is a big difference! Just give it some time and you will figure it out but a shorter pole will help you get forward and keep that nose down. You have to remember that ski was set up for freestyle so yeah you want it to be kind of mellow when barely moving but want it to just get on the power when you want to jump a wake or wave. Not really meant to be a full throttle race ski where it is going to go through a smoother powerband.

You can change where the pipe will hit to the higher RPM range. By closing the top screw and opening up the bottom screw, the pipe will hit later. However, it will still probably be a light switch effect

Thats all I needed to know fellas, thanks!! I might yank the pole off one night this week and chop it down 4-5 inches, gotta make sure my welding shop will be willing to button it up for me first(ac pole)..

You can change where the pipe will hit to the higher RPM range. By closing the top screw and opening up the bottom screw, the pipe will hit later. However, it will still probably be a light switch effect

I might have to play with that a little bit, if I can get it to hit just a little bit later it would be much better. Like I said, right now it hits when the ski is at an inconvenient angle. If it hit when it was laid out it would be fine..

I'm not going to let this thing beat me, If I can get the pole chopped down i'll post back with updated results..

Dmac - a big difference is an understatement lol

I'm still not getting the big picture I guess...granted I'm only 5'7", 155lbs, but my ski is never at "an inconvenient angle". I'm on plane before I even have both feet out of the water. That prop seems steep to me too, which would kill the bottom end, although I don't know for sure how Solas measures their pitch numbers. Mine's a ported 735 62t/61x with solas mag pump, pipe, epic ignition and 12/17 Skat C+75 prop.

Changing the water spray screw isn't going to be a night and day difference...it's not going to soften out the light switch.

Before cutting your pole, make sure it's not already a short one...I think AC poles being produced as -1 or -2 is pretty common...?

If you're not already doing it, ride one foot in front of the other, and cram those front piggies into the bulkhead. Stand up straight (knees still not locked though), lean forward and get that handlebar pad pinned right into your gut. If you are riding like you're taking a dump, that's the problem. :)

No offense intended, just trying to be lighthearted...I don't see how that setup would be unmanageable though.

Last edited:
I'm still not getting the big picture I guess...granted I'm only 5'7", 155lbs, but my ski is never at "an inconvenient angle". I'm on plane before I even have both feet out of the water. That prop seems steep to me too, which would kill the bottom end, although I don't know for sure how Solas measures their pitch numbers. Mine's a ported 735 62t/61x with solas mag pump, pipe, epic ignition and 12/17 Skat C+75 prop.

Changing the water spray screw isn't going to be a night and day difference...it's not going to soften out the light switch.

Before cutting your pole, make sure it's not already a short one...I think AC poles being produced as -1 or -2 is pretty common...?

If you're not already doing it, ride one foot in front of the other, and cram those front piggies into the bulkhead. Stand up straight (knees still not locked though), lean forward and get that handlebar pad pinned right into your gut. If you are riding like you're taking a dump, that's the problem. :)

No offense intended, just trying to be lighthearted...I don't see how that setup would be unmanageable though.

the pole measures 38 1/2" from bolt to bolt so I think it wouldn't hurt to be chopped down.. FWIW I lined up my 550 next to the SJ (rear to rear) and the bars are about 4.5 inches farther back on the sj.. I know that may not be an equivalent comparison but that tells me that i'm able to get my weight further forward on the 550 than I am on the sj...

By inconvenient angle I mean it unloads the pump when it takes off and drops back down(back to nose high).. I guess inconvenient wasn't really the best word.. Just extremely hard to keep the nose down that's all.. I'm 6' 250lbs (like I said, I'm a stout guy lol) and i'm 100% sure it has wet foam (will be resolved this winter) so I know that doesn't help any. I ride with my right foot shoved under the extinguisher and the other behind it.. handle pole stays against my waist and I lean forward as far as I can (reason why I didn't think it was how I was standing).. I think shortening the pole might be the quickest/easiest solution, getting down to 155lbs would keep the nose down as well but that just ain't happening. lmao

No offense taken, im new to the hull and power so to me its more difficult to manage the hulls behavior. (not to mention the sj rides completely different anyway). Like I said, if I can get the nose down a little better I think I would be fine. I love the power, I've just got to learn it...

Fstrkls1

Fast and Reckless
I'm dealing with the same problem. I shorten my hull about 4 inches. The damn thing just wants to stand up and jump out of the water out from under me. I'm just about done with a shortened pole project i took right around five maybe 6 inches off the pole. Hopefully it helps with my problem I know it's not a power issue it's only a 6m6Pinners are winners. Bbbbrrrrrrraaaaapppphhhhh!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom