Supplier List and Review

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Interesting info about the vacuum pump @Vumad . I'm making some repairs that would benefit from vacuum bagging. Is there a link that lists suggested supplies for a entry level guy like myself? I'm willing to make the investment in order to have an improvement in my results vs wet lay up.

That info actually came from nate. I dont deserve any credit for it.

I started my bagging with a shop vac and storage bags but the frequency of bad bags was way too high. Its a shame because $5 for 3 bags was an awesome way to start if they worked consintently.

The bags were the same as a wet layup, except i put layer of feel ply then a layer of breather fabric. Stuck it into the abg, sucked it down with the shop vac. This worked very well when the bag actually held a vacuum, but 2/3 of the bags leaked.

I just bought a vacuum and need to get some disposables. I cant recommend the methodni was using because you just cant trust the bag. It doesnt just result in a heavier part. It often als destroys the layup. IT crushes it, but then lets the pressure of and it pulls tons of air into the part as it relaxes.

Ecit: oh yeah, you need to change up your layup schedule for bagging. It makes the part about half the thickness and is less rigid. But double the cloth and bag it and it will be close in thickness but much stronger.

Ecit: oh yeah, you need to change up your layup schedule for bagging. It makes the part about half the thickness and is less rigid. But double the cloth and bag it and it will be close in thickness but much stronger.

This is a very good point Vumad. You can also use core materials to add rigidity back into the laminate without doubling the weight (if weight is an issue for the particular project). I'm looking forward to hearing about your results with the actual vacuum pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soller Composites www.sollercomposites.com

The only exception is the hybrid glass/carbon colored products. Particularly the sleeves. Very stiff and they do not take resin well.

Has anyone found a better alternative to the hybrid glass/carbon colored products?

I'm planning my next project. I ordered some samples from Soller, and they are too stiff in the direction of the glass. Nate warned us in his first post, and the Soller Composites website also has a note about it... But I wanted to see for myself (hence ordering samples, and not large amounts).

I've also used kevlar/carbon, and I did not like how poorly the kevlar took the resin.

I'm guessing this is just the nature of the beast, but I thought I'd check here and see if anyone found a good colored carbon hybrid that is as flexible as regular carbon and takes well to resin. Thanks!

Has anyone found a better alternative to the hybrid glass/carbon colored products?

I'm planning my next project. I ordered some samples from Soller, and they are too stiff in the direction of the glass. Nate warned us in his first post, and the Soller Composites website also has a note about it... But I wanted to see for myself (hence ordering samples, and not large amounts).

I've also used kevlar/carbon, and I did not like how poorly the kevlar took the resin.

I'm guessing this is just the nature of the beast, but I thought I'd check here and see if anyone found a good colored carbon hybrid that is as flexible as regular carbon and takes well to resin. Thanks!

Try compositeenvisions.com. They have a "soft" colored glass hybrid. From what I can tell, they dye the glass tow prior to weaving, leaving the carbon more flexible. Soller dyes the woven fabric as a whole (as far as I know). The fabric has better color than the Soller stuff and is overall a higher quality and at a better price. It's still stiff though, and probably requires a lot of work to get smooth if it's laid up without a bag.

Top Bottom