Freestyle Tech Tip: Xmetal trim mod for improved handling

N3vrSat1sfied

Military Member
Does this make the nozzle harder to turn since its rubbing nozzle? I Just put one on my x metal trim ring, and steering seems hard to turn? clears clamp. just the rubber contacting nozzle seems to be issue.
use WD-40 or some kind of silicone spray (some people use Vaseline) before each ride to lubricate the rubber. Once its in the water you wont notice.

mike b

Michael "Mayhem" Bevacqua aka MikeyChan
I used Vaseline on the ears every few rides. If extra is needed hit some oil on the back near the boring clamp. This is a life hack IMO and makes a huge difference

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Does this make the nozzle harder to turn since its rubbing nozzle? I Just put one on my x metal trim ring, and steering seems hard to turn? clears clamp. just the rubber contacting nozzle seems to be issue.

Might be a little too big or angle of cuts off. I chamfer the cuts a little in spots to move easier. I also lube it initially to free up until it wears in a little and turns freely.

Philip Clemmons

Owner, P&P Performance
Also depends on steering nozzle type and trim ring style (old or new). The newer ones have a bevel to ease with turning. 65V steering nozzles work better than 62T.

Roseand

Ready to RIP
Site Supporter
Does this only make a difference with water blowing out the sides during spins/turns or help with flips/up trim too? Currently using thrust original EZ pull and have an xmetal setup here I could try.

Does this only make a difference with water blowing out the sides during spins/turns or help with flips/up trim too? Currently using thrust original EZ pull and have an xmetal setup here I could try.
Makes a difference everywhere. The thrust all goes where it's supposed to. Once you try your xmetal you'll never go back and you'll kick yourself for not trying it sooner, I know I did.

Roseand

Ready to RIP
Site Supporter
Makes a difference everywhere. The thrust all goes where it's supposed to. Once you try your xmetal you'll never go back and you'll kick yourself for not trying it sooner, I know I did.
That sounds quite convincing!
Is the protec steering nozzle with the welded ears necessary to prevent couplers from blowing out? Or is a stock plastic nozzle with limited steering throw good enough?

That sounds quite convincing!
Is the protec steering nozzle with the welded ears necessary to prevent couplers from blowing out? Or is a stock plastic nozzle with limited steering throw good enough?
Plastic is fine, just make sure the side tabs are long enough they can't pop out the sides at full steering throw and chamfer the outside edge around the perimeter of the coupler so it slides inside the nozzle easier. I know a couple guys that used the crimp together clamps off a GMC CV axle instead of gear clamp and they didn't have to grind the hose clamp that way.

Plastic is fine, just make sure the side tabs are long enough they can't pop out the sides at full steering throw and chamfer the outside edge around the perimeter of the coupler so it slides inside the nozzle easier. I know a couple guys that used the crimp together clamps off a GMC CV axle instead of gear clamp and they didn't have to grind the hose clamp that way.
I just set one up with the CV crimp clamp and lost the boot first ride. This was with a plastic nozzle, but the metal nozzle one with the crimp clamp is fine.

Top Bottom