1991 X2 pump - engine alignment process

Purchased somewhat of a "basket case" 91 X2. Starts & runs badly (Chitty Chitty bang BOOM). Everything under hood is no mystery, I got that but the pump engine alignment, that's another matter. Don't have a clue where to start. Took a page out of the Sea Doo alignment procedure & fashioned a sleeve which inserts into shaft tunnel, slip fit into tunnel, slip fit over shaft = dead center. Is this where I base my alignment? Is that tunnel true to either/or? If not, Where is the "true" component/ position that I base the alignment from. Snap shot of where I'm at.
Shaft straight & true (per fact manual).
Shaft bearing loose & hanging.
No shim(s) @ motor mounts. Motor mount "appear" to be in good shape.
No shim(s) @ pump.
Coupling rubber good.
All evidence points toward that the motor/pump was pulled by previous owners & assembly was done in "Half Measure". That alright, I knew I was purchasing a basket case.
So knowing this. The procedure of alignment starts where????
Pics with parallax. Shaft favors 12:00 o clock straight up.

Attachments

• IMG_2218.JPG
    IMG_2218.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2219.JPG
    IMG_2219.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 11

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
You have the motor out and shim the pump so that the shaft is in the center of the hole. Then put the midshaft bearing in. Then put in the motor and shim the motor until the 2 couplers are flat to each other.

The boat is 30 years old. It probably has had the motor out and it probably wasn't installed correctly. You'll have to get some shims.

You have the motor out and shim the pump so that the shaft is in the center of the hole. Then put the midshaft bearing in. Then put in the motor and shim the motor until the 2 couplers are flat to each other.

The boat is 30 years old. It probably has had the motor out and it probably wasn't installed correctly. You'll have to get some shims.
10-4. Have around 40 U shims that I have accumulated throughout the years. Shimming engine will have to be my 1st step. Shaft favors 12:00. Adding shim to engine to bring spline into the the sweet zone for pump spline alignment. When I 1st pulled the pump I noticed the shaft spring back up with authority. I'm way out of the ball park. When I removed the engine noticed the "nused" rubber mounts with no shim. Most likely a hurried install from previous owners. Anyway, you pointed me in the right direction. I plan on paying close attention to coupler halves alignment, feeler gauge close per factory specs. ( force of habit with 35+ years in industrial maint) Probably going to be alot of back & forth until I hit the right combination of shim. Also going to look into new motor mounts, if they exists...
Vumad, again, thank you for pointing me in the right direction

Look at the splines, all that abrasive rust is whats going to kill it. Those must be perfectly clean, greased, and sealed to the impeller. Ive never needed to shim a Kawasaki pump, however 650s have short splines and it can be installed crooked enough to cause wear. The front cover has a line cast into it that aligns with an arrow cast into the hull. The mid carrier has large holes so it can move around when its loose. Everything has a lot of freedom when the bolts are loose so get everything as straight as possible then tighten it down.

Top Bottom