550SX Half Pipe Cooling Line Routing

brapperdoodle

Site Supporter
I was able to get this West Coast half pipe fitted to the 550SX but the cooling line routing is a little bit of a mystery to me.

I have routed the cooling line from the pump, into the fitting on the exhaust manifold. But I have a line coming off of the expansion chamber that looks like it runs to the bottom of the mid pipe. So I believe those 2 lines are correct.

That leaves the small fitting on the mid pipe that runs to the stock water bypass, and another fitting on the top of the adaptor plate. Lastly I think I might have installed the cylinder head backwards because there is 1 last cooling fitting facing rearward… something tells me this should be facing the front of the ski. Easy fix, but I need some advice on how to properly route these lines. Thanks!
E422CDA0-DCFB-469F-B793-FDC0CB39136B.jpeg
26B55478-5D2F-472B-B437-29B1DC55AB6B.jpeg
7316AF20-BE54-4D7E-966E-2178C5662B52.jpeg
30397A1E-071D-4D61-9BCD-F088FD467FEC.jpeg

blasterdude

Waiting for the ice to thaw!!!!

brapperdoodle

Site Supporter
I cannot open the PDF in that post, could you post it here? Also, Those gaskets look identical to the ones I used for this rebuild. I want to say they came from a Cometic kit? I did notice that there was 1 way to align the gasket for the adaptor plate allowing water to flow through the fitting. But what is the difference in the gaskets if the exhaust manifold and mid pipe are stock?

Big Kahuna

Administrator
I cannot open the PDF in that post, could you post it here? Also, Those gaskets look identical to the ones I used for this rebuild. I want to say they came from a Cometic kit? I did notice that there was 1 way to align the gasket for the adaptor plate allowing water to flow through the fitting. But what is the difference in the gaskets if the exhaust manifold and mid pipe are stock?
The gasket allows water to pass to the head pipe coupler then to the stinger.

brapperdoodle

Site Supporter
I removed the coupler last night and did verify that there is an opening for that passage. Thanks @blasterdude I did not know about that! Good looking out and letting me know, if I had used a different gasket that could have been a bummer! Unfortunately the gasket split apart when removing the coupler, I applied a thin layer of 1211 and re-installed the coupler. It is a brand new gasket so hopefully it will be okay, I will keep an eye on it.
D352D7EF-FF11-441E-859B-9B3AFB3F25D3.jpegAAFEFC44-F437-44B2-AE8F-45DB6B086337.jpeg

Big Kahuna

Administrator
First time I put a pipe on my 91 550 I was not paying attention and a buddy was helping me, I thought he removed the stock gasket, and put on the new one. nope. Melted a hose and the gas tank!!!!!!!!!

I am having this same issue right now, I believe it is the gasket on the other side of the stock portion of the pipe from where the half pipe connects that is different (along the same studs). From looking at diagrams online, the stock gasket does not have holes for the water jacket, however the on in the circular gasket in the cometic kit does. Let me know your guts opinions on this. i am going to swap i in the morning and try it.

brapperdoodle

Site Supporter
I am having this same issue right now, I believe it is the gasket on the other side of the stock portion of the pipe from where the half pipe connects that is different (along the same studs). From looking at diagrams online, the stock gasket does not have holes for the water jacket, however the on in the circular gasket in the cometic kit does. Let me know your guts opinions on this. i am going to swap i in the morning and try it.

That is correct. If you can see the pictures in the above post, my gasket does indeed have the cut out for the passage. This would be the style of gasket to run with a half pipe coupler.

brapperdoodle

Site Supporter
Im talking about the next gasket in line, the kit comes with three. The middle gasket in the series of three.

Oh, yeah I see what you are talking about. It looks like in the parts fiche it shows a gasket with no holes for the water jacket. I would use John's gasket set or something similar to be sure its set up correctly.

But with that being said, it appears on the parts fiche that the coupler gasket is the same as the cometic... now im really confused haha

brapperdoodle

Site Supporter
Yo have to remove the stock elbow, not the chamber and switch out these gaskets. They are between the stock manifold and stock elbow

Yes, I understand. But if the gasket is blocked and not the correct one, water will not flow out of the fitting down to the stinger on the chamber. So, theoretically I could start the ski in the water and remove the hose from the chamber fitting and verify water flow. Or remove 6 bolts and just look at it haha

Top Bottom