Apple AirTag for ski tracking

Not sure how many have seen this but looks like a great answer to keeping your ski from “walking” off. Basically a Tile type tracker that’s been discussed before but it’s supported by the billion or so Apple products vs 3-4 million Tile products so coverage is actually a thing.

Anyone ever experiment with Bluetooth signal of something stuffed into a hull somewhere? For $30 the upside seems like a win win.

I've experimented with bluetooth under a car into the cab and it worked well, I would think the steel cab would make a way worse faraday cage than a fiberglass hull

I just did some reading about the AirTag. The downside for anti-theft is that if the tag detects that it's traveling with someone new, it will alert that person, and they can turn it off with their phone. That's so nobody can slip it onto a random person to track them. So if the thief has an iphone, they can disable the tracker. I would have bought a few if it didn't have that feature.

I just did some reading about the AirTag. The downside for anti-theft is that if the tag detects that it's traveling with someone new, it will alert that person, and they can turn it off with their phone. That's so nobody can slip it onto a random person to track them. So if the thief has an iphone, they can disable the tracker. I would have bought a few if it didn't have that feature.
I didn’t catch that when I was reading through the features but I agree that is a huge downside to the product if that’s the case. Otherwise, I could see myself buying a couple. I went with a full alarm and camera system on my shop for the time being.

DIY version is a small and obsolete IPhone (like a 5) in a Pelican-style case. Just hide it wherever and use the App to track it.

Attached image shows an IPhone 7 and a 1020 Pelican Case. These are probably a bit large, but you get the idea.

Attachments

• DE5AA538-D930-43CF-9CAB-515F98C65B7F.jpeg
    DE5AA538-D930-43CF-9CAB-515F98C65B7F.jpeg
    291 KB · Views: 21
DIY version is a small and obsolete IPhone (like a 5) in a Pelican-style case. Just hide it wherever and use the App to track it.

Attached image shows an IPhone 7 and a 1020 Pelican Case. These are probably a bit large, but you get the idea.
I see a couple downsides to that. Mainly battery life and it’s not very discreet. I guess you could run a charger from the ski battery

I didn’t intend it as a full substitute for a proper security set up. My circumstances are that the ‘ski is stored in a high security unit, so I don’t have to worry about it other than when it’s out for a day of riding (so the battery life isn’t an issue). Admittedly it’s bulky, but there’s a surprising number of nooks and crannies to hide it on my trailer combination.

It’s just a DIY suggestion as I found I could knock one up with stuff I already had laying around!

From everything I’ve read that’s not true. Only you can see where the tracker is unless you set to discoverable so a finder can gain contact information for you.

From everything I’ve read that’s not true. Only you can see where the tracker is unless you set to discoverable so a finder can gain contact information for you.

Nope. If someone puts a tracker on you after following you for some time it will not only notify you if you have an iPhone but will also beep. It’s to prevent people from being stalked.

It actually takes 72 hours (3 days) before the individual will be notified, and of course they need an Apple device on them. See this article.

72 hours since it was last in range of it's owner's phone. So if you haven't been within 30 feet or whatever signal range is through the walls around it, the thief will be notified.

*Edit: I still might get one. I'm close enough usually every couple days.

Top Bottom