BadVinny's 2016 Iceracing Thread

New Years day, my bike is out of commission for a week, need camchain and guide.
So i went and made a track for the club today (New Years) and I rode a 2016 KX450 of a buddies when I was done. Normally flat ice, but as our pond has been drained it has many elevation changes. I took advantage of everything I could, we have a short double jump, many banks, a off camber turn, and a 90 mph straight that is almost fully banked. Best Track EVER!!!!! 2 kms long, 19 turns__TEMP__65e2abb7e9e8abaeefd2e173d6ccc3f6-1332012509_10331_IMG_20160101_152625_panorama.jpg

So a week later half the ice got dug up by a construction company so I had to rebuild after only 2 rides!
Then I rebuilt the Topend of my bike and it lasted 8 laps, after checking everything it looks to be a shorted or broken wire in my wiring harness cutting out my FI, but the good news is it runs great with my KTM usertool all hooked up! Only I can't race like that! New harness going in this weekend as its too cold to ride anyway!

Attachments

• IMG_00000462.png
    IMG_00000462.png
    648 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_00000456.jpg
    IMG_00000456.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_00000442.jpg
    IMG_00000442.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 60
After my cam chain failure and new Topend, my bike started popping 10 laps into the first ride, in the end I put a new wiring harness on and bam! I am riding!
I made a newtrack on a pond 2 blocks north, as the Rathole pond is getting some serious construction, this is sad because we will never see a rollercoaster track like that again!
The new track has already been named the Butthole, and I plowed it for atleast 3 hours!
I had 2 races on Sunday, in practice I couldn't get the front to stick turning right, my new tire sucks balls turning right but left is good, I lost the front 20 times that day but never went down.
1st race started in 3rd, worked to the front and won, damn young kid on the CR500 was fast though.
Then his dad rejets the 5hundy 2 sizes leaner and I got nothing on him now, he pulls me almost everywhere. I start 2nd and that's where I ended, dammit! ......i hate 2nd!IMG_00000469.png

rubbertoe

X-H20 certified
Vinny ,your friend against that 500 is in the tight stuff ,those bikes are a hand full .keep that kid hard on the throttle in the tight turns where you can tractor that four stroke and hope that the 500's weight & or power band bites him .Keep in mind i know nothing about the ice and from the looks you have a lot of straights and sweeping turns, which the 500 loves .But from what i do remember is if you want to beat a bike with huge power like that let the power wear out the rider .Good times .maybe get to work on that new track and plow a tight section to give the kid a run for his money (wait a minute that didn't come out right ,Lol)

There is always plowing going on at the butthole! My problem is my 610 is just as much a handful as his 500 and you are right RT, the track is fairly fast, 84mph on the straight. If I was healthy (not hurt!) I think I will beat him, I did rescrew my front tire to fix the right side, hope it works!

rubbertoe

X-H20 certified
There is always plowing going on at the butthole! My problem is my 610 is just as much a handful as his 500 and you are right RT, the track is fairly fast, 84mph on the straight. If I was healthy (not hurt!) I think I will beat him, I did rescrew my front tire to fix the right side, hope it works!
Damn bro , i thought you were on the 4 fiddy .Oh you on the 610 big bore ,that explains it you a craaaazy mofo !

Last edited:
Last weekend was supposed to be for healing, and I told 'the kid' not to pressure me to race (practice day).
My plan was working perfectly, remapped the FI a got some power back, changed the angle on the front right screws an it stuck like glue (right), now the left turns suffered. At the day end I was reeling in the kid, every lap, then he pulled in to the pits, 2 turns later I went down losing the front turning left, kissed the ice, handlebars just snuck past my chest protector on the left side as I did the 'Scorpion!' (where the flats of my feet tap me on the back of my head.
As I got up I thought 'that was hard enough to break a rib', but a few deep breaths and I decided to load up and go home. I gave it a few days and it got worse but Thursday felt a bit better so I went to my chiropractor, Turns out I just bruised and displaced it, had the rib put back in yesterday.
All I can say is getting old sucks, and trying to save the last few shreds of masculinity I have left gets tougher every year!
I hope this Sunday isn't so eventful!

Last edited:
Two weeks has gone by, it hurts my rib to hook the plow onto the truck still. My tennis elbow is improving finally, got a new elbow brace and a right wrist brace, osteoarthritis in both wrists now but the braces help keep the inflammation down although it does increase arm pump, don't matter since they help reduce pain.
This Saturday I am driving 3.5 hours to go make the track for the big 2 day race at the Fort Qu'Appelle festival.
Not much snow but 2 feet of ice, we have had very warm winter weather this year.
Last weekend I again stayed away from any track battles as I want to be as fit and fast as possible for Qu'appelle, this is the glory race, I get to do news interviews, shake hands, and maybe even take Rick Mercer for a lap, if you aren't canadian you probably don't know who he is!
Posting a cool pic of me riding my buddy's KX450, it's awesome that we get such good photographers coming out!_BAS6647.jpg

Last edited:
Last weekend was the big one, and I won the weekend overall, 4 wins and 2 2nd place finishes. We had about 30 riders, a dozen in the Pro Open class. The 'Kid' on the CR500 (white fender) was my competition all weekend, the bike and him are both fast! I can't remember the last time I raced that hard because I had too, his Dad tuning between every moto, I was Mr.Plow before every PRO moto since I organized the race. I should have received a handicap since I am 50 and he is 20, his Dad tucked him in by 9 while I drank whiskey till 2am each night (old school values, still here for the fun, ...all night long!)
Regardless of all that I still won, the racing was Intense, 89 mph and 2 feet apart from 2nd place sooo often. my tennis elbow is much better, rib doesn't hurt much, and I never crashed!
Did a few TV News hits Thursday and Friday, and the Rick Mercer Report TV show came out, strapped 3 cameras on me and a couple on the Kid, did a short interview, should have my 10 seconds of fame next Tuesday night on CBC for the Canadians. Mercer also took part in many other events such as the Polar Bear dip, but he wouldn't get on my bike! LolIMG_00000505.pngIMG_00000504.png__TEMP__73bfd862d1db8dc7e7c17defdb5ae62d-1332012509_10920_IMG_20160302_190433.png

Last edited:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=X1JucU42SlRfYnVNWjh6dUc0LTNvajZfS1JZeUxn

the above link opens funny, tap on the black window to start the video.
It was just finished with old footage by one of my buddys that is out of commission temporarily! Its from 2 seasons ago but a pretty cool Video, of course I am Wheelie guy on the KTM taking the win while I can, competition is getting fierce as I get older!
Enjoy!

Last edited:
2019 revival! We got a bit of a early start this year but only a handful of riders are ready at this point. Rebuilt my 500exc/610 big bore last year, crank was spread some so I replaced it with a Thumper Racing stroker crank, this requires a different custom piston that takes the 610 to 665cc adding about 10 hp.
The bike is faster but it doesn't necessarily mean I am, only issue out of this is that now the clutch can't hold the new torque. I was running the heavy bellville spring, and have now added a 2nd stock spring behind that (half of the width is machined off the OD).
There is 4 different 500cc two strokes against me, 2 are crazy fast motors and as a 610 they pulled by me, but no more! This things a beast, it's atleast 40lbs heavier and harder to turn, but it's the king on the straight!
More to come, I hope!IMG_20181216_202246.pngIMG_20181215_002212.pngIMG_20180310_112359.pngIMG_20181210_154958.png

I am never ever jumping again! This is 4x bigger now than when I took this pic. Indoor mx track Sunday morning.
I am trails only for the rest of my riding life now. Your ice riding looks amazing

20181223_235319.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom