Super Jet Bendix question???

Hoping for a answer, or help, rebuilt my engine over winter, upgraded to a tbm flywheel, upon inital starting of engine, turns over a few revolutions, then bendix kicks out(free spinning) do it a few times, hit the primer and it fires up, once warm no problem, starts in a under a second. I removed the front cover today to take a look, aluminum flakes everywhere, upon further inspection, seems that the bendix is only engauging maybe 1/8" into the ring gear of the tbm flywheel, has anyone had this problem? Is my bendix failing?, or faulty flywheel, need shimming of the bendix. Any help is welcome. Thanks

maybe the ring gear on the flywheel needs the teeth chamfering to allow the bendix to engage fully, if the teeth on the flywheel are straight cut they may "grab" the bendix gear before its fully engaged

smoofers

Rockin' the SQUARE!!!!
Site Supporter
maybe the ring gear on the flywheel needs the teeth chamfering to allow the bendix to engage fully, if the teeth on the flywheel are straight cut they may "grab" the bendix gear before its fully engaged

That, or the flywheel isn't full seated on the taper... but then the flywheel cover wouldnt fit on....

Can you shim the bendix out? just wondering, cause the spring in the front cover keeps tension on the bendix. It seems that when the bendix kicks out, it's full travel will only allow that little engagement. Flywheel is seated all the way. Kind of hard to believe a $600 aftermarket part would have issues. I mainly ride in the surf and don't want a starting issue.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Make sure the back of the bendix has the washer on it.
Also make sure the flywheel cover has a washer, spring, and another washer.

Thanks everybody for your responces, but I went another route, since this is a new flywheel, I contacted TBM and they said that they had a run of bad flywheels, and to send mine back and they would replace or repair the piece. Top notch company with excellent customer support. It's shipping back to them tomorrow.

Top Bottom