December couch ride?

The Penguin

triple secret probation
more info:

Boat Captains - Here is a summary of everything you'll need to know about the upcomming Toy Run December 5th and 6th. You can also download the attached Excel document if you want to print it out. So far we have had over 30 captains / boats show an interest in going this year and we hope most of you can make it. If you've got to drop out please post up, pm me or call me at 713-416-1082 as I'm trying to get a final headcount for the POC folks who are planning our meals. Thanks - Bill Bahr.

Captains Information Sheet

This year's Toy Run will be a little more structured than past years to insure we can deal with ongoing construction at the Colorado River West Lock, just west of Matagorda Harbor. The Corps of Engineers' contractor, OCCI, currently has the ability to close that lock to all boat traffic during daylight hours (7am-7pm), except for a 30 minute window from 1:00pm-1:30pm. We have been assured that they will make an exception and let the Toy Run traffic though on Saturday and Sunday between 1:00pm - 2:00pm, if we agree to abide by their strict "no wake" rule while in the lock. We believe everything will work out if we follow this plan.

Saturday Departure Details
1. Those launching boats at Bridge Bait and Tackle (BBT) should have their boats in the water and ready to head west before 9:00am.
2. Low tide at BBT Saturday is between 8-10:30am, so we recommend you launch between 6-7am to be on the safe side.
3. Departure from BBT will be at 9:00am in order to insure we can cover the 46 miles to our half-way point at Matagorda Harbor by 11:00am.
4. We will try to travel together, as a group, to help any boats that need assistance. Our primary VHF communications channel will be 68 the entire weekend. If you cannot join us at BBT for departure, the next two spots to do so would be Sargent or Matagorda Harbor.

Saturday Trip Plan
1. The only rest stop available before Matagorda, for those who need one, will be at Sargent (24 miles from BBT). The next stop is for lunch / fuel at Matagorda Harbor which is 22 miles from Sargent (46 total miles from BBT). Total one-way distance from Freeport to Port O'Connor is about 79 miles.
2. Everyone is on their own for lunch and there is plenty of bulkhead space at Matagorda Harbor to dock your boat and stretch your legs.
3. The Waterfront Restaurant is across the street from Matagorda Harbor and is a good spot if you'd like to get out of the weather for a sit down lunch. They open up at 11:00am. Prices are reasonable, food is good, and wait time should be ok with the small lunch crowd there in December.
4. Diesel / gas are both available at Matagorda. The next available fuel is 32 miles west, at our Port O'Connor destination. Due to the 60 minute window discussed above, we would like everyone to be finished with refueling, lunch, etc. and back in the ICW, ready to go through the West lock by no later than 1:00pm. Captains, please remember to reduce your speed so there is no wake when going through the west lock.
5. The final leg down the ICW and the trip across Matagorda Bay into POC can be easy if the weather is good and you know where you're going. If you've never crossed Matagorda Bay, don' have a chart plotter, or need any help please be sure to keep visual contact / follow another boat who knows the way. The low winter tides in Matagorda Bay will require that you stay in the ICW channel to avoid accidental grounding. If we have no delays or problems on this leg of the trip we should arrive in POC around 3:30pm.

Arrival At Port O'Connor, The Boat Parade, Dinner and The After Party

1. As soon as we arrive in POC we will off-load all toys at Clark's Inn. Due to limited turning / dock space at Clark's Inn we ask those Captains who have reservations at Clarks to go ahead and dock first, while the other captains briefly wait in the ICW, just outside the entrance to Clarks. There is additional docking next door to Clark's Inn at Clark's Restaurant. If we run out of dock space, captains should just raft up next to their fellow boaters long enough to off-load all the toys. Once unloaded, everyone is free to relax or start decorating their boats for the parade. The parade is free and really a lot of fun.
2. If you plan on being in the boat parade here are some things you'll need to keep in mind. You can register online in advance for the boat parade by emailing your name, boat size and boat type to Susan Hudler at shud56@gmail.com, or you can register in person Saturday at 5pm at the safety meeting. A representative from each boat must attend a brief safety meeting at 5:00pm at Froggie's Bait Dock. The parade starts at dark (approximately 6:00pm) at the Coast Guard dock and proceeds back to Clarks Inn for judging and awards. Cash prizes and trophies will be awarded.
3. The boat parade should last no more than 2 hours, allowing us to start heading for Hurricane Junction around 8:15-8:30pm. Dining options in POC that time of night are limited so we've asked Hurrican Junction to provide dinner and space after the parade for our celebration, after party, etc. This will be a really fun party and we urge everyone to stay for not only dinner but for the afterparty as well. Dinner will be a really good buffet with appetizers, three entrees, lots of sides and desert. The price is $15 per person, paid to Hurricane Junction at dinner time. Drinks not included.

Sunday Return Trip To BBT
1. Sunday morning breakfast is free and served buffet style at Clark's Inn. Breakfast includes juice, milk, coffee, cereal, and assorted yummy breakfast taco's (eggs, cheese, bacon, sausage, etc.). You can dine there on their 2nd floor veranda overlooking the ICW, or pack up and eat on your way back to Freeport.
2. Most folks usually do their own thing on Sunday, some leave early, some leave late and we normally don't return to Freeport as a group. Captains do need to keep in mind that traffic at the Matagorda West lock could be slowed down by the construction (except for the 1-2pm guaranteed passage time). You can however phone the lock operator at 979-863-2318 and get a real time update on lock traffic and delays if you're unsure of when you should shove off. Captains, please remember when passing through the lock to keep you speed very low, with no wake.

Logistical / Misc Information
1. Boat / motor repair service and parts are available in POC, both Saturday (till 5:50pm) and Sunday 8am-3pm at Coastal Bend Marine, 1808 W. Adams Ave., 361-983-4841. They are certified for Yamaha, Suzuki and Evinrude service.
2. Police security is being provided for those parking their trucks/trailers overnight at BBT. The total cost for this is $180 and we ask that each person parking at BBT volunteer and help split this expense (approximately $15 per boat). Please give your donation to Jerry Karnes or Bill Bahr Saturday the 5th.
3. If you need ground transportation from Clark's Inn or other motel on Saturday please contact Bill Bahr and he will put you in touch with a local volunteer.
4. If you have any problems or need help before or during the Toy Run you can contact any of the Toy Run organizing committee:
·Jerry Karnes - cell phone 281-684-1117 or email jkarnes@texapp.com
·Bill Bahr - cell phone 713-416-1082 or email wtbahr@gmail.com
·Andrew Coker - cell phone 713-256-7289 or email Andrew@xconsulting.cc
·Patrick Martin - cell phone 713-907-5122 or email Patrick@movadotechnologies.com
·Kyle Cunningham - cell phone 832-407-5551 or email kyllawaygolf@yahoo.com
5. The lockmaster monitors VHF channel 13
6. Hurrican Junction is located at 1502 W. Maple Street about 5 blocks from Clark's Inn. The phone number is 361-983-4249. Jim Hooper is the owner.

QuickMick

API 1104 AWS CWI
Site Supporter
Arrival At Port O'Connor, The Boat Parade, Dinner and The After Party

1. As soon as we arrive in POC we will off-load all toys at Clark's Inn. Due to limited turning / dock space at Clark's Inn we ask those Captains who have reservations at Clarks to go ahead and dock first, while the other captains briefly wait in the ICW, just outside the entrance to Clarks. There is additional docking next door to Clark's Inn at Clark's Restaurant. If we run out of dock space, captains should just raft up next to their fellow boaters long enough to off-load all the toys. Once unloaded, everyone is free to relax or start decorating their boats for the parade. The parade is free and really a lot of fun.
2. If you plan on being in the boat parade here are some things you'll need to keep in mind. You can register online in advance for the boat parade by emailing your name, boat size and boat type to Susan Hudler at shud56@gmail.com, or you can register in person Saturday at 5pm at the safety meeting. A representative from each boat must attend a brief safety meeting at 5:00pm at Froggie's Bait Dock. The parade starts at dark (approximately 6:00pm) at the Coast Guard dock and proceeds back to Clarks Inn for judging and awards. Cash prizes and trophies will be awarded.
3. The boat parade should last no more than 2 hours, allowing us to start heading for Hurricane Junction around 8:15-8:30pm. Dining options in POC that time of night are limited so we've asked Hurrican Junction to provide dinner and space after the parade for our celebration, after party, etc. This will be a really fun party and we urge everyone to stay for not only dinner but for the afterparty as well. Dinner will be a really good buffet with appetizers, three entrees, lots of sides and desert. The price is $15 per person, paid to Hurricane Junction at dinner time. Drinks not included.

owner.

WOW they have "Safety Meeting" too.

lordbater

Pimp
Alright, Alright, I hope I don't get banned on my first post!

I'm sorry I didn't have time to read this whole thread, but someone else told me that some of yall are planning on making the Toy Run this year. I'm 'blessed' with the title of assistant director and it's my place to keep track of this sort of stuff., so I wanted to see if yall had any questions or anything that I could answer, assuming it's not too late..

Are yall still planning on making the trip?
How many?

Please keep my cell # handy and keep in mind that we will be monitoring channel 68 on VHF if you have a radio with you.

I usually bring up the rear and make sure that every boat makes it, one way or another, so I would really appreciate knowing if yall are going or not.

Andrew Coker
call anytime

lordbater@gmail.com

lordbater

Pimp
That would be son of Master Bater..

Groovy, I don't think they make wetsuits warm enough for me...

that said, I now have to go wash the boat...

Andrew

Top Bottom