DIY Total loss or MSD TL upgrade box 270USD?

Around here (Minnesota, north central USA) usually 91 is the best you can do. This is (RON+MON)/2 my understanding is the rest of the world mostly uses RON which is a less stringent test thus higher number.

Once in a while you'll see a pump with 93 or 94 octane but we have "ethanol free" premium available most places and it's never higher than 91, so everybody uses the ethanol free 91 for stuff like this because ethanol sucks.

stacher

Site Supporter
I had the exact same thing happen to the zeel in my SJ with a charging system. I let the ski sit for about 3 weeks between rides and the battery went down to 5v. Put a 12 amp charger on it to bring it back overnight. Got it cranking but no spark. Turns out the 3v zeel fuse blew. I replaced it and it held, but still no spark. I contacted Borut directly and he warrantied the zeel. I am back to stock 62t until I get the new one in the mail. My buddy is having a very similar issue in his charging system too. He has intermittent spark with no resolution so far. Sometimes it works, and sometimes no. I have had great luck with the unit in my 967 so I am hoping my luck holds up.

Ohh yea, I checked my charging system in my SJ and was reading 13.1 v at idle. Voltage was still climbing before I killed the engine so it would not get too hot.
I was having some intermittent spark issues. Changed my start/stop switch to a new one and I was still having issues. I didn’t check my battery. Battery seemed plenty fully while cranking. When I tested spark thru the Zeel program it was good. At what capacity would the battery give issues with spark?

Last edited:
I was having some intermittent spark issues. Changed my start/stop switch to a new one and I was still having issues. I didn’t check my battery. Battery seemed plenty fully while cranking. When I tested spark thru the Zeel program it was good. At what capacity would the battery give issues with spark?
The battery is not creating the spark. As long as you have a battery good enough to crank the ski, the Zeel will create the spark. The issue in my case was that the Zeel drained the battery down to 5v while sitting for 3 weeks. I brought the battery back to life so that it had enough power to crank the ski over but still no spark. Something killed the zeel while it was sitting. It failed the spark test and never did come back. I have a new unit on the way. In the future I am going to unhook my battery after every ride.

waxhead

wannabe backflipper
The battery is not creating the spark. As long as you have a battery good enough to crank the ski, the Zeel will create the spark. The issue in my case was that the Zeel drained the battery down to 5v while sitting for 3 weeks. I brought the battery back to life so that it had enough power to crank the ski over but still no spark. Something killed the zeel while it was sitting. It failed the spark test and never did come back. I have a new unit on the way. In the future I am going to unhook my battery after every ride.
That is a strange one, I have had nothing but rock solid reliabilty with my zeeltronics to date. However as long as the right thing is being done as far as warranty then its all ok. You were running resisitor plugs werent you

2lick

Brap!!!
So after looking up part numbers, am I correct in stating the following list of flywheels are compatible?
  • Stock Yamaha F4T323 64X = 4.14-lbs. 760
  • Stock Yamaha F4T330 66E = 4.14-lbs. 800
  • Stock Yamaha F4T368 66V = 4.15-lbs. 1200

So after looking up part numbers, am I correct in stating the following list of flywheels are compatible?
  • Stock Yamaha F4T323 64X = 4.14-lbs. 760
  • Stock Yamaha F4T330 66E = 4.14-lbs. 800
  • Stock Yamaha F4T368 66V = 4.15-lbs. 1200

The 1200 one won't work on a twin, you need two lumps for two cylinders.

2lick

Brap!!!
The 1200 one won't work on a twin, you need two lumps for two cylinders.

Great point I didn't think about. Tho if you send it out to be modified for lightened or TL, could it not be removed? I'm no expert on the subject, just trying to collect information. Feel free to educate me :)

As far as I know the guys that lighten them do not modify the timing "lumps" at all so I'm doubtful that is a thing that could be done, or at least easily done, but the people who actually do it would have to comment to be sure.

Great point I didn't think about. Tho if you send it out to be modified for lightened or TL, could it not be removed? I'm no expert on the subject, just trying to collect information. Feel free to educate me :)

66v has four lobes, three big ones spaced 120 degrees, not 180. I can pick one off and move it over... Buy the GP800 and send it to me.

" NOW WITH TACOS" There is a new version of zeeltronic coming out. its smaller with a bigger spark and a taco out put
"We have new PDCIS-A02T which accept original flywheel with one short and 2 long lobes. "
So you dont even have to grind the small lump off anymore. Pretty cool, Its a little bit more but pretty awesome no front cover removal now
190 euro

But will it work with flywheels with just the two lobes? I assume it would, otherwise he’d lose all the kawi 750/800 guys

Jcary85

Site Supporter
So I just switched skis and am now on a DVX with an XS1200. It’s a 66E based motor. In theory, could I pop a GP800 front cover and flywheel on this thing and run my zeel setup? I assume it would work, right? Idk if I’ve ever heard of someone running zeel on an XS1200 but maybe I could be the first

Anyone know if the static angle is the same on the 800?

Jcary85

Site Supporter
Ok, maybe this won’t work. The front cover is huge with integrated motor mount stand offs. WTF. Is there a different front cover I can use? Maybe gp1200 and only use one of the three triggers?

waxhead

wannabe backflipper
So I just switched skis and am now on a DVX with an XS1200. It’s a 66E based motor. In theory, could I pop a GP800 front cover and flywheel on this thing and run my zeel setup? I assume it would work, right? Idk if I’ve ever heard of someone running zeel on an XS1200 but maybe I could be the first

Anyone know if the static angle is the same on the 800?
Its the same. its almost a plug in for the zeel to the 800

Didn't go threw the whole thread but I am having issues with my fuse going to the zeel blowing. Any ideas what I should check?

Myk

So I’ve noticed people complaining about a draw and their charging systems not wanting to keep up. Every person that has mentioned this is using an antigravity battery. I run a deka 9 and have had no noticeable draw and the battery stays good and charged. The antigravity battery’s are lithium ion batteries and the deka’s are agm battery’s. Any thoughts on this?

On to my next question. I’m going to put the TL flywheel on and give it a try but from what everyone is saying, i’ll be lucky to be able to run 5 gallons with the deka 9 on TL before draining the battery dead. What kind of battery’s are you guys running on TL? What kind of run times are you getting between charges?

I am very pleased with this system for so many different reasons.

Top Bottom