E Dirt Bike Anyone?

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
I'm getting the itch to buy another toy and stumbled across an article on E Dirt Bikes a couple days ago.

I haven't been on a dirt bike in decades but love the idea of the KTM Freeride E-XC, does anyone have any experience or information on these?
I grew up out in the country where we could ride just about anywhere but I live on the outskirts of a major city now.
We have mountain bikes but I find then super boring and I'm wondering if an E-bike would allow me to ride way more places than a gas powered bike, or do they fall under the same regulation and would get treated as such?

I'm guessing OTD pricing to be around $12K although pricing and availability in the US seems to be pretty scarce still?

Thoughts, opinions, insights?

KTM Freeride E-XC.jpg

waxhead

wannabe backflipper
im building an e-bike at the moment. good for training for old people like me

Attachments

• 195378444_4247839238610627_7808127963130355958_n.jpg
    195378444_4247839238610627_7808127963130355958_n.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 199624315_234135238143558_983366023399841140_n.jpg
    199624315_234135238143558_983366023399841140_n.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0942.JPG
    IMG_0942.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0945.JPG
    IMG_0945.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 13
Considered a motor vehicle in NJ. Same registration requirements as gas. Go with something like the Zero dual sport, at least you can license it.

OCD Solutions

Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Zero interest in a Onewheel.

The eMTB could be an option but I grew up on a dirt bike and so that has way more appeal to me. The eMTB would be rideable in so many more places though.

Anyone know what the pricing is like on the Yamaha bikes?

OCD Solutions

Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Found local pricing on the Yamaha eMTB's.

The Crosscore is $2399

The Cross Connect is $2999

The Urban Rush is $3299

The Wabash is $3499

The Civante is $3399

The YDC-Torc is $3499

The YDC-MORO is $4499

The YDC-MORO Pro is $5499

Big Kahuna

Administrator
E-Bike and E-Dirt-Bike are totally different animals. Ebike you still have to pedal. Can be ridden on many of the same MTB trails (Yes, some places are trying to ban them). But you still have to put effort in to go. Anything else where you just press a button or twist a throttle is a E Dirt Bike. Ride same places you would a regular dirtbike.

OCD Solutions

Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Reading up on the three different classes it sounds like the e-MTB will be most practical for our current position with the fewest restrictions.

As much as I would like to get back on a dirt bike, I have nowhere to ride one the way I really want to ride. I'm used to exploring endless logging roads and back country for days and since there is no such thing around here, it would be pointless to own one now. There's a few clubs you can join but you can cover off all their trails in just a few days.

Here's a pic of my old stomping grounds for reference. If I was there now, I'd have a supped up side by side for sure!

2021-06-11_101210.jpg

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
E-Bike and E-Dirt-Bike are totally different animals. Ebike you still have to pedal. Can be ridden on many of the same MTB trails (Yes, some places are trying to ban them). But you still have to put effort in to go. Anything else where you just press a button or twist a throttle is a E Dirt Bike. Ride same places you would a regular dirtbike.
This is whats great about the Sur-ron. It has the power to feel like a dirt bike and rides similar. But also has pedals so you can take it anywhere. :)

OCD Solutions

Site Supporter
Vendor Account
The Sur-Ron is around $4100 for reference but I don't see any pedals, just pegs...

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
New Sur-ron Belt Kit upgrade is now available installed by our shop (see more on upgrade)

Super Moto Kit is 17" smooth tire upgrade that is ideal for riding on smoother terrain. Ideal for moto racing, this kit lowers your Sur-Ron a little due to the smaller size, but don't worry you'll have the same top end speed. Pairs great with our belt kit.

Offering a Sur-Ron made Pedal kit is for those who find the need to pedal their Sur-Ron without any provided electrical assist. This kit is not ideal for any type of off road or light trail riding and requires basic bicycle maintenance, but if you are worried that the Sur-Ron is throttle only, this kit will allow you to physically pedal the Sur-Ron.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
Looks like you can buy aftermarket pedal kits too. Would be best if you could lock them into place like normal dirt bike pegs. Then adjust them to work as pedals when you need to show law enforcement its an ebike. :)

b59de9_f0f43584359045ef8d9ae1e8e95ba497~mv2.webp

OCD Solutions

Site Supporter
Vendor Account
It takes a few videos of his to figure out his humor but overall, entertaining but not very educational.
If I was even in doubt of what I would want to do after an early retirement, he sets a pretty cool example of how one could fill the time.

I still like the look and build quality of the KTM but the performance vs the cost just isn't there.
The Shur-Ron is the clear winner in the e-Dirt Bike category with the Segway a close second.

There are a ton of great choices in the e-MTB category so we have some decisions to make.
We have quite a bit of money tied up in our skis that we never ride so we need to make a decision to either renew our passion for jetskis or move on before we pull the trigger on a pair of these.

Top Bottom