How deep do skis sink?

Not helpful now but insurance is pretty cheap. I pay 200$ a year for 10k coverage.

I tried to get my eme roid insured they told me no cause it's a race / freestyle ski ! Its bullpoop but I live in California too so that might not help

DylanS

Gorilla Smasher
That's too bad. Oilfield Divers have Hot Water pumped and circulated thru their Suits to stay warm. Without Hot Water, it's just way too cold to do anything.

Why wouldn't they bring the Scanner? No sense in Diving without scanning first....

I wonder how deep and dark it was at Bottom. Probably Zero vis.
Lots of sediment at the bottom, zero vis like you said. I’m going to see if I can get him out with the scanner before spring but I doubt it. Guess I’ll have to sell some toys.

Krenn Power Sports

Site Supporter
Vendor Account
I've been in your shoes...... Here's what I did....
I offered a $1k reward for ANYONE that could just FIND the ski.. Find it, I'll dive down and recover it. I had about 25 people all coming out to the lake, I kinda knew where it was but NOBODY could find it even with nice sonar etc. So day 2 I upped the reward to $3000. I sat at the boat launch and as guys with big sonars rolled in, I told them about the reward. Many scanned for 15-20 min before giving up and head out to fish. 1 guy in particular said "I don't even know how to use this thing, I'm going next week for training by the Hummingbird rep and tuner" apparently theres tuning to do with these. He gave me the guys number who lived 2 hrs away. I called and told him about the reward, he said it would be 3-4 days before he could come up.
20 minutes later he called back and said "I'll be up there at 7am tomorrow morning" he realized anyone could find it and get the reward.

He was there early, scanning, he went over the same spot 3-4 times and thought it might be my ski. I looked at his sonar and couldn't tell at all, and didn't think it was my ski but I went back to shore, geared up and when i was gearing up he went and scanned more, came back and said he was 100% sure that was it. it had floated at an angle from 25' to 50' of water vis went to zero and zero light at 15' but i just tied a rope to his anchor line and walked around his anchor, then let out 2 more feet and walked around again and bam! there was my hull it shinned... tied a line to the pole and we pulled it up and drug it in.... best $3k I ever spent!!!

3 days on the bottom, took it straight to the shop, dumped all the water out, sprayed it down, opened ebox and dried it all out, and took it straight to the lake... motor lasted another year of beating on it...

DylanS

Gorilla Smasher
I offered a $1k reward for ANYONE that could just FIND the ski.. Find it, I'll dive down and recover it. I had about 25 people all coming out to the lake, I kinda knew where it was but NOBODY could find it even with nice sonar etc. So day 2 I upped the reward to $3000. I sat at the boat launch and as guys with big sonars rolled in, I told them about the reward. Many scanned for 15-20 min before giving up and head out to fish. 1 guy in particular said "I don't even know how to use this thing, I'm going next week for training by the Hummingbird rep and tuner" apparently theres tuning to do with these. He gave me the guys number who lived 2 hrs away. I called and told him about the reward, he said it would be 3-4 days before he could come up.
20 minutes later he called back and said "I'll be up there at 7am tomorrow morning" he realized anyone could find it and get the reward.

He was there early, scanning, he went over the same spot 3-4 times and thought it might be my ski. I looked at his sonar and couldn't tell at all, and didn't think it was my ski but I went back to shore, geared up and when i was gearing up he went and scanned more, came back and said he was 100% sure that was it. it had floated at an angle from 25' to 50' of water vis went to zero and zero light at 15' but i just tied a rope to his anchor line and walked around his anchor, then let out 2 more feet and walked around again and bam! there was my hull it shinned... tied a line to the pole and we pulled it up and drug it in.... best $3k I ever spent!!!

3 days on the bottom, took it straight to the shop, dumped all the water out, sprayed it down, opened ebox and dried it all out, and took it straight to the lake... motor lasted another year of beating on it...
Sounds very similar to what I’ve been through, maybe I do need to get ahold of a hummingbird rep.. lol! It’s ONLY been a few months now so I’m sure she will fire right up! I was thinking it could be on an angle too, that sounds about right. I’m going to try to get this guy out with the sonar as soon as possible, someone would cold water dive on a good mark. Thanks man i appreciate the info!!!!

That inspired me to find a ski I didn’t even lose . Thanks for sharing . Hope
Op gets his ski back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe a long shot but what about dragging a 6’ wide piece of pipe along the bottom like a water ski tow rope. drive boat in a grid until it snags on something. Put a heavy bungee section in line to absorb shock when it catches on something. Cheap to do..

Maybe a long shot but what about dragging a 6’ wide piece of pipe along the bottom like a water ski tow rope. drive boat in a grid until it snags on something. Put a heavy bungee section in line to absorb shock when it catches on something. Cheap to do..
We tried this Lake Erie in about 10 feet of water....2 sit downs with a long run of those kryptonite cables locks all strung together....we made passes for hours and never felt a single thing. That ski has never been seen again!

DylanS

Gorilla Smasher

So I reached out to humminbird through email and got a reply, seems like they’re willing to set me up with a rep if one is a in the area.. I have the area narrowed down to half a football field so if his equipment is good and he knows his stuff I might have a chance

DylanS

Gorilla Smasher
It’s been a few months now and I haven’t heard anything from anyone besides a fire company with a ROV. He is positive he will find it in the mud “where it sank” but I’ve given up on finding it at this point. When, if, he gets his new ROV I will have him go out one more time.
Big thanks to everyone for their support and ideas !

Top Bottom