How to verfiy timing?

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Make yourself a bendix holder so that you can crank/start the engine with the flywheel cover off.
Be sure your flywheel has markings for 0-35 degrees, in reasonable increments, clearly marked (white paint, whatever contrast nicely)

Mark TDC on the cases, clearly, same paint.
Then use an automotive timing light to verify your timing. :biggthumpup:
Be sure to do it on the same plug wire that you did TDC on the cases on.

crammit442

makin' legs
Make yourself a bendix holder so that you can crank/start the engine with the flywheel cover off.
Be sure your flywheel has markings for 0-35 degrees, in reasonable increments, clearly marked (white paint, whatever contrast nicely)

Mark TDC on the cases, clearly, same paint.
Then use an automotive timing light to verify your timing. :biggthumpup:
Be sure to do it on the same plug wire that you did TDC on the cases on.

You can do it on the couplers as well. Easier than making a bendix holder. You need to be VERY precise since the diameter is so much smaller.

keefer

T1
You can mark the cases near the coupler for TDC or you can fabricate some kind of pointing device that is rigid enough not to vibrate around. Mark the coupler with your timing increments and use the automotive timing light to check it out.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
The bendix holder takes an old flywheel cover to be cut up, and about 5 minutes to install. Not too tough.
But I suppose either would work.

#ZERO

Beach Bum
I'm trying to have some timing tapes made up to go 360 degrees around the engine coupler that are 1/2" wide by 13" long.

The black adhesive tape will have white or yellow lines for each degree mark with numbers on 10 degree intervals.

Superjet 9195

Dude... you can jump that
The bendix holder takes an old flywheel cover to be cut up, and about 5 minutes to install. Not too tough.
But I suppose either would work.

Or you could just launch your flywheel bolt through your cover the first time you fire it up. THats a quick way to make a bendix holder.:pat:

MSD timing

The best method is to use a "dial indicator" through the spark plug hole, find true TDC, use a timing degree chart that I will supply with purchase, and and use either the cool timing tape mentioned above or simply make corresponding timing marks on the crankcase and flywheel and /or PTO coupler. You should check the timing both "static" with the MSD, and also the actual "running" timing. You dont have to purchase all the tools, but I use the following items, and they are all in stock.
Dial indicator True TDC locator Timing chart Timing light

I always check the "Run" timing, and I reccommend checking both cylinders, as the trigger pick-ups can be set differently (multi-triggers), and it will also show if your crankshaft is out of phase. http://www.watcon.com/Catalog_Pages/TDC_Gauge.htm

Thanks,
Randy at Watcon

#ZERO

Beach Bum
Yep... those spark plug hole dial indicator TDC tools work great.

The timing tapes are in the works so it shouldn't be too much longer before they're available.

I have dial indicator with a flex arm clamping base that you can purchase at Harbor Freight for 27 bucks that works great for checking the port timing while the head is removed. It could be clamped onto one of the girdled head bolts and used threw the spark plug hole to find TDC also.

Attachments

• Picture 130.jpg
    Picture 130.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 126

michael950

for me to POOP on!
Yep... those spark plug hole dial indicator TDC tools work great.

The timing tapes are in the works so it shouldn't be too much longer before they're available.

I have dial indicator with a flex arm clamping base that you can purchase at Harbor Freight for 27 bucks that works great for checking the port timing while the head is removed. It could be clamped onto one of the girdled head bolts and used threw the spark plug hole to find TDC also.

Any update on the tapes?

And what is the benefit of checking the timing on the coupler if you have to remove the flywheel to change timing (non-TL setups)?

#ZERO

Beach Bum
I'm still going to be making these timing tapes just need to find some spare time.

I've already purchased the material and a nice plotter/printer for vinyl graphics just need to figure out how to get the damn thing to work.

Anybody know anything about plotters and sign software?

You need a special bendix holder or part of a timing cover to check the timing on the flywheels side in addition to the timing marks.

Without using a timing wheel. If I used a tape on the coupler to make my marks, just like mentioned above. What would be the distance between each degree or between each 5 degrees in MM.

Thank you

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Depends on what coupler you're using.
Measure the circumference of the coupler and divide by 360 - that's your distance between each degree.
Multiply that number by five to get your distance for each five degrees.

Top Bottom