How wet is too wet?

oxnard111

Creative RE Purchasing
So I just picked up this ski last sunday at pismo and began cutting out holes for footwells this evening. I cut normal size holes in both sides for the holds and found some dampness on the right side. It seems like the water is coming in from either the right rear pump mounting hole or the right rear ride plate mounting hole. The reason why I say this is it is only damp directly under the tray area that is not cut out (not yet anyways). You can only really feel water when tucking your fingers underneath the tray. I can only feel water from that area when tucking my fingers in from the right hand side.
Right now the hull has been turned upside down on the shop stand for about and hour and I there is a small puddle about 2 inches in diameter from where water has come out from the same area described above. It dosent seem to be dripping down from deep inside the bottom sides of the ski.
The bond line seems pretty solid, but who knows.
I guess what I'm getting to is... should I refoam? I don't wanna :frown: but I probably should.
On say Darin's (SuperJett's) ski when you cut it open was the foam water logged above the bond line so that it is apparent from the holes cut out for holds?
I was gonna shoot to have the ski all turfed and ready to ride by next weekend, but that dosen't look like its happening now, especially since I'm going to Vegas this weekend. :cheer:

Last edited:

oxnard111

Creative RE Purchasing
put holds, turf it...ride it...

comeplete winter project listed in sig......then ride that ski, and go back and refoam the one you just bought...

you just got it! ride it man!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunatly the ski I am talking about is the winter project listed in my sig. I really think I should just get it over with, but I want to ride this ski, especially with the holds. My present ski is a stock RN with no pipe, and this winter project ski has a shortend pole, b-pipe, 44's, and a Riva griddle head. I wanted to get the holds in this ski so I can take a couple more rides this year on this ski. But I might have to ride the stocker for a while longer. We'll see. I just dont wanna :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I was thinking about throwing the engine in my present Round Nose but this motor is setup for dual cooling, and my present ski is only tapped for single cooling.

Last edited:

beachedflunkey

wavejunkies
I'm with idok. It sounds like just a little bit. Dig out as much as you can from the foothold cutouts and if it doesn't seem too bad fill'er back up with foam as needed. Run 5200 around your thru-hull fittings from the outside. Put teflon paste on your rideplate/pump bolts when you put them back in.

romack991

homebrewed
why not just pull the pipe, engine, electronics and swap between the roundnose? you could do that in a couple hrs.

atleast you get to play with the power. unless you still have a stock prop, then you'll probably just spin.

Iused a 2 inch wire cup brush on a drill extention on a die grinder. After cutting holes in the ski I defoamed it in under an hour. That thing eats the foam up like crazy. I bored a hole into the foam and ran the shop vac hose into that hole and all the dust was sucked up by the shop vac.

After saying that I personally vote for putting the footholds in and riding. If the water weight worrys you just take a good dump before riding that will compensate for the water.

******** it... Oxnard, this is a surf ski right?

I remember I drilled holes under the scupper and the exhaust outlet one time to drain all the water out. That was a horrible idea, I got around a gallon out and you know what happened. It took me a full day to learn to ride the ********er again. And it took probably 10 more to get enought water back into it so it handled right again :biggrin:

Seriously though...if it is not that wet, dig out the foam for the holds and just let it dry a few days. A good bit of it will evaporate and you will be good to go. I have drilled holes to drain several hulls though, and that does get water out. But dont :banghead: over it.

Good luck...

oxnard111

Creative RE Purchasing
Sure is a surf ski. I have been letting it dry out since last thursday and the areas that I could feel moisture with my fingers are pretty dry now. I think I'll let it dry a bit longer and just throw them puppies back in. I have some more questions on sealing up different places, but I have to get back to work. I'll post my questions up later.

I've had 3 places where my '01 SJ took water. Around the exhaust outlet, the notorious crack that starts at the exhaust oulet and goes down the side of the ski, and in the tray at the sides. Cracked up both sides about 8 inches long. Actually 4, two inches in front of the intake grate, I had an 10 inch crack across the ski.

Top Bottom