I need everyone's opinon PLEASE!

1 (220).JPG
I designed and built a rack system to load and launch my ski from my Tritoon. I have had a 550, FX1 and now my carbon Rock on this setup. I have launched my ski at least 100 times over the past 5 years with no problems what so ever.
My question to all of you is do you think it would be worth patenting the idea and shoping it around to boat manufacturers? It solved a big problem for me. When my kids came and the family time trumped ski time, my ski sat while we boated. Now we do the same thing but I can get a ride in at the same time. I have been told by many people outside the sport that I should patent the idea. I personally just doubt/wonder if there is a big enuff market for something like this.
Its cool, it works, but would people buy it? Please leave a comment if you think I am crazy or if you are ski person who has expierenced the same thing I have and would love a way to get your ski and your boat in the same place at the same time. Thanks for the input!

I've known several people with patents. One of them, and probably the smartest, told me that a patent is only as valuable as the amount of money you have to defend it. Another one of those that I know had their design ripped off by a very large company and lost their home trying to fund a lawsuit against them. They didnt have the funds to fight it to the end so even though the design is being used and shouldnt be, he has no ability to stop them. I say make your product, market it, and sell it. If someone rips it off, just make sure yours is of better quality ;) When you develop a reputation for having the best, people will seek your prdouct out first. Most people dont like knock offs anyway. when you make millions, patent it. Just my two cents.

My system will only work on a flat deck boat. A pontoon would also work for the system but the extra weight limits passenger capacity some.
My tritoon is also a wide beam model. This helps for walking space around the ski in the front of the boat while its on deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Patents are very tough to get and will cost a significant amount of money. There are already hoists that exist for this that come with bigger boats so this isn't a brand new idea and there may already be a patent on it. Even if those other hoists are just meant for a dingy or sit down jetski you will still have a hard time getting around those patents. Patents are very specific and it all depends what was exactly written for it. I dont think there's any legs behind patenting this IMO. Awesome set up though and keep up the good ideas. I am able to tie my superjet down to the swim platform of my Mastercraft.

A patent is great, but with a few minor adjustments to your design, it can probably be circumvented. You will probably make more money working with a machine/fabrication shop and building the idea for resale, this way you can glean some profit from the idea.

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
I see a ski sitting on a pontoon boat. Where is the system? How bulky and in the way is it? How hard is it to use? Price point? Maybe showing it gives the idea away?

swapmeet

Brotastic
I see a ski sitting on a pontoon boat. Where is the system? How bulky and in the way is it? How hard is it to use? Price point? Maybe showing it gives the idea away?

Yeah I went through that entire thought process but came to the conclusion that if he's considering patenting it he's probably not going to show us right now.

Also had the same thought process on your patent only being as good as your lawyer and your bank account. IMO, there isn't enough market. Even if it worked on every kind of boat imaginable, there aren't enough stand up riders who also own boats in the world to support the kind of volume you'd need to go full patent etc. Then pair it down to Pontoon's thats a MUCH smaller percentage of potential customers and if your product truly is limited to Tritoon's you're likely looking at a miniscule amount of potential buyers. Obviously this is just my opinion. The good news is that people on here who are and other stand up sites (PWC today, Green Hulk) who are starting families would probably be a much more likely potential customer, or possibly plan their boat purchase around a product like yours. I'm in the same position (but no boat) where I have two kids and lake time would be more enjoyable if I could boat and ski.

As suggested, you're best off to make yours very high quality, and possibly make it more complicated so its difficult to knock off. Then go after direct sales. Sell it here, and on Pontoon forums. You might find people who have large Kayaks or other small water craft that want to use your product.

I think its a cool idea. At one point in time I wanted a pontoon and a mounting system where I can have a ski hoisted up on the back, one over each Pontoon.
Kinda like this.

pwc-ramp-doug.jpg

King Kang

Never enough tray time...
Even if it worked on every kind of boat imaginable, there aren't enough stand up riders who also own boats in the world to support the kind of volume you'd need to go full patent etc. Then pair it down to Pontoon's thats a MUCH smaller percentage of potential customers and if your product truly is limited to Tritoon's you're likely looking at a miniscule amount of potential buyers.

^ THIS. You wouldn't believe the number of excellent ideas that I've heard from entrepreneurs that simply don't have a market large enough to sustain a viable business.

Ya McDog, I diddnt want to tip my hat to the design here. The pic is vague for that reason. I can tell you it stores great, it's super easy to use and I can load and unload the ski by myself onto the beach or in 10' of water.
It's all aluminum construction and is less than 100 lbs complete. I think it would need to sell to the consumer for $1500-2k range.
I have a successful career as a skilled tradesman so I'm not looking to build these systems myself. It solved my problem and I have been able to ski much more than I was able to after the family life started, for that I am grateful. If there is enuff interest my perfect plan would be to sell the design to a manufacturer and let them build, sell n install them for the public. I realize the stand up ski sector is very small and that is why I am hesitant to go thru all the patent work to have no one to sell them to. Just want to help my fellow ski pilots stay connected to a sport I have loved for 25 years. If I can make a buck or two along the way that's great.

Last edited:
No sit downs Wet dream. Your right they are very heavy and much wider also. They would not fit inbetween any seat config on a flat deck boat. Wish they would as there are a bunch more potential customers that way..:)

All valid points swap meet. Most of those reasons are why I have just been enjoying the set up myself the past few years. I didn't build it with any big plans in mind, just get my butt back on my ski more often. It works so well i thought I would like to hear what others like me thought of it. I wish it was more simple to build and install and I would consider doing it for people interested but building it tough enuff to not break each time I used it brought some complexity to the build. I'm loving the feedback, good and bad from everyone, Thank you!

I say make it. You never know how big of a market there will be. I am constantly telling friends about the skis I want and EVERY SINGLE TIME they say, "why would someone pay that much for just a stand up?" Yet we all see the market for AM skis that land lovers will never imagine. You obviously had a need and made a product to satisfy that need. Im sure there are others out there in the same situation. I say go for it.

The way my system works it would not do well on a swim platform. You could definitely bolt on a rack that a ski could sit on while underway without any problems. Make sure you have a bud or two with you to help load n you would be good to go.
Having the flat deck of a toon style boat makes the whole idea much simpler. I think the boat handles more predictable too with the weight in the front instead of the extreme rear.

The way my system works it would not do well on a swim platform. You could definitely bolt on a rack that a ski could sit on while underway without any problems. Make sure you have a bud or two with you to help load n you would be good to go.
Having the flat deck of a toon style boat makes the whole idea much simpler. I think the boat handles more predictable too with the weight in the front instead of the extreme rear.

My ballast tanks are about 2000lbs, so more weight is welcome. I like ur idea. I'm sure a pontoon is in my future and will keep in mind.

Top Bottom