Lamey ~ Hard to start?

wildman326

Who else?
My lamey is a bit hard to start . . . after I get it going it's fine but the initial start is a major pain. Any thoughts?

5 mil non pv flattop lamey
mod fp
200 lbs compression
analog total loss
14 degrees static advance
3 degrees/1000
start retard at 5000
8000 max
team scream carb set-up

If I choke it with a rag it forces the fuel into the carbs and starts . . . then it seems to start fine . . .

I guess I need to verify that the needle and seats are not getting hung up and what the pop-off is.

Waste Land

Non Multa Sed Multum
....this may seem stupid. But......are you sure the lines are primed up?

I've never had a ski start up as soon as i pushed the button if it sat for days. Now witha primer it was withina second. OR if i hand choke....first second too

Do you have the start retard dip switch on the MSD box on? Plus, as stated before, a primer goes a long way to quick starts and saving a battery in a total loss set up. Hope this helps.

Scottie

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Hey Wes! Nice to see you back! Nice to talk to you the other day, too. :biggthumpup:

Probably a stupid question, but the carbs are tuned right, correct?

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Stroker motor - has more dwell at the top, so traditional degree numbers would be off.

wildman326

Who else?
Thanks for the welcome back!! I've been trying to start a new career and have been too busy to spend much time doing anything besides work and spend time with the family. Things are not as busy now and I hope to be able to be more present here on the boards.

Back to the ski . . .

It had been sitting for a month, as I was out of town in MN, so . . . the system probably needed to be primed.

Scottie, It's an analog box, I don't think there's a start retard switch on the box.

Matt, I've checked the plugs and they may be a little dark but seem to pretty close - I haven't even run 5 gallons through it, so I haven't got it perfect yet.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
The analog box doesn't have the start retard/elec start switches.

In my limited experience, a properly tuned low speed adjuster/popoff/pilot jet make all the difference in the world in easy starting.
However - after a few days of sitting, it needs to be primed.

crammit442

makin' legs
The analog box doesn't have the start retard/elec start switches.

In my limited experience, a properly tuned low speed adjuster/popoff/pilot jet make all the difference in the world in easy starting.
However - after a few days of sitting, it needs to be primed.

I agree. Well tuned motors should need a prime to start in most cases(when cold). Low pop and small carbs help, but all motors need more fuel when cold. I also agree that the static timing is WAY low, stroker or not. It's not gonna run anywhere near it's potential at 14deg. At least the mid to upper 20's. I don't know of anyone running less than 25 on a stroker. Might require a different rate of retard to stay safe, though.

Charles

Hard to start..

Crammit is correct concerning his timing projections.. If its hard to start only when it's cold, try a larger pilot jet.. If it's been sitting for a few days, a squirt with a primer or spray bottle is normal. The pop-off will not affect initial starting, neither will the timing curve.

crammit442

makin' legs
Crammit is correct concerning his timing projections.. If its hard to start only when it's cold, try a larger pilot jet.. If it's been sitting for a few days, a squirt with a primer or spray bottle is normal. The pop-off will not affect initial starting, neither will the timing curve.

I would generally agree with the exception being that really low pop carbs(buckshot) may start fuel moving sooner. Also, who the hell is this Watcon?????:smile:

Charles

wildman326

Who else?
It's a flattop - so I was of the impression that the static should be about 14 - 16 degrees . . . any other flattop riders out there to chime in?

wildman326

Who else?
Where do you tap into the fuel line for the primer? I've never used one but I remember something about not putting it between the gas tank and the "in" on the carbs.

dawson

X
It's a flattop - so I was of the impression that the static should be about 14 - 16 degrees . . . any other flattop riders out there to chime in?

yep i am running a flat top and have been running 25deg initial on a single chanel msd TL until 4500 then pulling 12 out till 8000 rpm
i know you have a diferent msd but might give you a beter idea
i have just bumped it up too 27 and about to go out testing

at 25 eel would call me soft
us aussies run some big timming down low

the timming my twin piper xpl runs it is suprising it does not try to run backwards :eek:mfg:

Top Bottom