No start issue

Let me start off with saying - not a mechanic by any means . 1990 - 650 square nose. Push start button - no click and no start . I have replaced S/S switch , starter relay , positive cables from battery to starter relay and from starter relay to starter . I also put in a new ground cable and had starter rebuilt . I have tested new S/S switch and starter relay in my other Superjet and they work fine. I also did the test on starter relay where you connect two small wires and starter does engage. I have disconnected stop switch wires ( black and white ) and still no go . I have checked continuity in wires and all seem fine . I have tried 3 different charged batteries while also using a jumper just in case . I am at wits end . Any more ideas ? Would a bad stator or coil cause no click and no start ?

harrymank

Site Supporter
Is the fuse good and making connection on both ends? What prompted this problem to start? Was the ski starting correctly recently?

Fuse is good . Was starting correctly previously although , once in a while , you had to push down real hard on the start button to get contact . Or , I assumed to get contact .

harrymank

Site Supporter
D9F2FAF0-3A94-424A-931F-7A6EB297586D.jpeg
You need a rubber chicken!
I have them in all my pickups to keep the gremlins away. I gotta get one to throw in my superjet cause I’m dealing with a charging issue right now. Gremlins get in there at night and wreak havoc.

harrymank

Site Supporter
Maybe check and make sure the grounds in your ebox are clean and tight, sounds like you’ve gone through the right steps to diagnosing your problem.

Put in a new fuse and also took steel wool to it for good measure . All e box connections are clean and tight . Connections are snug . Baffling me like crazy .

harrymank

Site Supporter
If you’re able to jump the brown wire from your starter solenoid to 12v and it starts then something from your switch to the relay is not right.

SOS. Any other ideas ?

I know it is a pain but you might want to continue swapping electrical parts (and wires if practical) with your other Superjet. See what makes the other one fail and/or what makes this one work. Not sure what year your other SJ is, just need to assure the components are compatible (suggest using diagrams and part number lists from a site like yamahapartshouse.com).

Two Superjets are at different locations so can't readily change parts . Will do if need be . Buttons inside S/S switch are in correct locations. If I jump the starter relay with black and brown wire - kicks over . If I just jump brown wire - does NOT kick over .

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Given that very last statement, I'd suggest that you do not have a ground connection for that solenoid. The only ground connection comes from the black wire in the stator harness so if that's buggered, you can try a temporary jumper from the battery or from the engine case.

Temporary ground worked . Yippie I O Ty Aye !!!!!! Trying to get flywheel off to access stator harness . Don't want to ream on bolt . Question - which way does the bolt turn . Standard or reverse thread ?

Top Bottom