Paint Stripper on Fiberglass

Woody

Need to save my money!!
i grabbed this...seemed to be the safest one they had (said to "Test on plastic first"...meaning they weren't against it).

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

4907b3c0-7161-4053-8365-cd945cf5c211_300.jpg

Damn, I wish I found your thread sooner. I used to work for a contract company that maintained the tire moulds for Goodyear. We had to pull apart the moulds and sandblast them with a plastic media in a walk-in blasting booth. If there are any sort of companies in your area that sandblast tire moulds they have to use plastic media too and most likely have a walk-in booth. You might have been able to get a favor done for nothing if things are slow for them. Even a kinda large scale machining and fabricating plant should have a good sized blasting booth. The trick is getting them to blast it all up lol. :scratchchin:

Woody

Need to save my money!!
that may be my only option...

i whipped this stuff in the engine bay...worked like a charm on the bottom deck (but I had sanded the crap out of it) and really didn't do so good on the top deck where it was on much thicker.

the topdeck on the outside was actually in decent shape...i've sanded it down to like 320 and there are no chips, but the bottom deck of the outside is chipped everywhere. right now i have the ski flipped over with the orange goop painted all over it. its been on for about an hr and a half, but its still pretty tough. i'm considering leaving it on overnight and waking up real early and workin on it tomorrow before work

Woody

Need to save my money!!
so...what do you suggest then since this crap doesn't seem to be working (something cheap...$50 or less that is easily accessible at like a home depot or something). anything more would be spending too much money.

don't say elbow grease...i've put a ton of time into this and have made little to no progress.

Woody

Need to save my money!!
in hindsight...i ended up not being able to sleep tonight. so i went down around 12:00 and started working on stripping it.

2.5 hrs later...i'm now questioning why i even decided to by a 1990 ski that has started to been modified by somebody when there are plenty of stockers around that haven't been touched...would've saved me countless hours.

i guess u live and you learn. i'm not spending any more than 1 more hour on the outside of the ski. i will finish whatever has to be done on the inside of the ski to get all the epoxy off so i can reinforce, but then i'm done. maybe if i get a new energy booster i can throw some paint on it for daytona. but as of now, its goin there lookin like poop...and i wont care

in hindsight...i ended up not being able to sleep tonight. so i went down around 12:00 and started working on stripping it.

2.5 hrs later...i'm now questioning why i even decided to by a 1990 ski that has started to been modified by somebody when there are plenty of stockers around that haven't been touched...would've saved me countless hours.

i guess u live and you learn. i'm not spending any more than 1 more hour on the outside of the ski. i will finish whatever has to be done on the inside of the ski to get all the epoxy off so i can reinforce, but then i'm done. maybe if i get a new energy booster i can throw some paint on it for daytona. but as of now, its goin there lookin like poop...and i wont care

now you got it!!! see y i never painted my 90 sn. f that just ride it untell it falls apart and get another one.

Woody

Need to save my money!!
still need you to watch over me for the reinforcing. let me kno when i can come over...i have almost everything i need. anything else i'll stop at freeport marine.

as an extra incentive...i have a ton of fiberglass you can have after i finish reinforcing :headbang::headbang::headbang:

Top Bottom