Porting Templates, attention DIYers

Would you be interested in a magnetic porting template?

• Total voters

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
Since it seems the Racelogic Sport Port templates are no longer available, I have been thinking about taking a shot at making a similar product. I know there are a few guys on here that were looking to buy some, I just want to gauge the interest in them.

I am thinking of shooting for a price of $25-$30 shipped which is significantly less than the sport port templates cost. Also, this is not just a rip off of the sport port templates, I drew these entirely myself in AutoCAD.

Last edited:

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
I would also be looking for a person who would be able to take one of my templates, use it to port their cylinder, test run it and write a review on it. If there is somebody who would be able to do this withing the month of March, I would send them a template for the cost of shipping.

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
I think your prices are too cheap.
I think Racetech's prices where too high, with that said I have moved forward with this project and started creating these. I have a handful made up and a few of them are already sold, I plan on making a thread in the New Product Releases section here soon. My offer still stands for anybody who can get one in their hands and knock out a port job, run it and and review by end of March, free. For everybody else, the first 10 are $25 shipped in the US.

DSC_1280.JPG

ProSouth

Seriously, Don't be a dick.
if you have anyone in the southeast that wants to test this out or give it a go id be willing to set one up for someone, i have an engine already that i did and decked the cylinders. dont have a need for it but i'd be willing to help someone out. what are you planning about the transfers for customers? gasket match and thin out the bridge

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
Exhaust port and sleeve mod on intake side (see my other thread) I recommend doing a bit of port matching on the transfer and boost ports simply to fix Yamahas horrible mismatch but that isn't really possible to make a template for and is a bit above and beyond what the average Joe with a dremel will be able to and want to do.

I'm curious what you used to determine the shape, profile, and cross-sectional area of the ports and how you came up with the amount you trimmed off the lip on the sleeve for the boost port? I am by no means saying its wrong, just curious on how you came up with it because I'm a little skeptical using a template for a porting job no one has verified. Either way I'm happy someone is getting into this since Race Logic got out of the game; if these work out well you'll make a lot of people happy :)

they make these for cars and i have used them very successfully. they may not make as much power as someone doing it that has been in the game for 20 years and has tried everything. but for the $50 the ones for my car cost it made a little more power an was totally worth it. a lot like a generic camshaft vs one built specifically for your car.

these templates plus a b pipe and a head on a x cyl for all of those just getting started that are the tinkering type. this is so much safer than just going hog wild having no clue what to do. i'd be very interested.

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
I'm curious what you used to determine the shape, profile, and cross-sectional area of the ports and how you came up with the amount you trimmed off the lip on the sleeve for the boost port? I am by no means saying its wrong, just curious on how you came up with it because I'm a little skeptical using a template for a porting job no one has verified. Either way I'm happy someone is getting into this since Race Logic got out of the game; if these work out well you'll make a lot of people happy :)
The shape is based on different porting jobs I have looked at, and or ridden, it is actually pretty similar in shape to the stock port. The roof and floor of the port have not been modified, the port at it's widest point is 68% of the width of the bore in which it was designed for. The intake side/boost port area is also based on cylinders I have had in my hands (some where longer, some shorter). I understand your skepticism and I am more than willing to refund your entire payment if you receive the templates and are unhappy with them. I am not a pro engine builder and am not a two stroke guru, just a guy who has ridden a lot of motors, looked at a LOT of pictures, read a lot of threads and a handful of two stroke tuning/theory documents, and done a little bit of CAD work and math.
These were created to provide an ample power increase across the RPM range, be relatively simple to perform at home and be on the safer side of the modified area to allow a bit of wiggle room if somebody gets out of hand with their grinder. They will not get you the maximum performance possible out of your cylinder, you WILL need to pay a professional for that. I am not trying to push these as the best porting option available and I would honestly love some feedback from an actual engine builder (although I can already guess what their thoughts are on this type of product).
I am not sure if the Sport Port template I have here has been modified at all but it is their "yamaha freestyle template" and it measures out to 73% of an 81mm bore and 71.4% of an 84mm bore, at its widest point.

Last edited:

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
Just because I am curious, I would really like to know what somebody like @Blue, @waxhead, @Nuklear6, or others (feel free to tag somebody) has to say about this. I am even willing to send a fully dimensioned PDF to any of these guys to get some real feedback. I am not trying to get rich off these or give somebody the ammo needed to totally wreck their cylinder, I just want to give the low budget, DIY guys a tool to make a bit more power and have the satisfaction of a job done themselves. I know this goes against everything that the above mentioned builders are working for but I would hope somebody would be willing to give me a slightly un-biased opinion.

@yamanube

Coming from someone who makes money grinding on all your cylinders. I still think this is a good idea. As stated above you are not going to get the most out of your cylinder by just widening the exhaust port and shortening the intake sleeve. Getting the most requires a lot of time, specialty tools (that are very expensive), and skill (my 2 cylinder 61x port jobs cost $250 on average). That being said you can make noticeably better throttle response and power by just the mods shown in this thread.

I would suggest raising the exhaust port slightly on the 61x cylinders. By adding around 2 deg of exhaust duration you can increase mid range power with NO noticeable loss of bottom end (possibly even an increase). Granted we should state the obvious with out an aftermarket exhaust system of some sort on the 701 any internal engine mod is a waste of time and money.

If youd like to send me the PDF id be glad to take a look and let you know what my opinion is.

CPTEnterpriseLLC@aol.com

Chuck Palmucci
CPT Enterprise LLC
609 510 3062

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
Thanks Chuck, I really thought hard about raising the port on this design, I personally do these with 62T cylinders for that reason (and because it seems the transfer and boost port matchup is generally better from the start, and they are cheaper, and stronger, and....) BUT there is a bit of a negative stigma with raising the port timing and I wasn't sure if I wanted to even introduce that into my attempt at selling these to the general public. Now I am second guessing it LOL, I really appreciate your feedback and will be sending you an email shortly.

-Jason

Top Bottom