SJ Throttle Cable Lengths

Hello,
Just got my engine back from team scream and it seems as though my thottle cable is not long enough (carbs are rotated), Chuck recommended a squarenose cable.
How much longer is the squarenose cable compared to the roundnose?
Am I better off ordering a new one from Terry Cables and get it a bit longer or is oem the way to go here.
Thanks for all your input.

R.S.

I am noy sure of the exact difference in length, but the square nose cable is longer. John at Jet Ski Solutions sold me one after I installed a single carb conversion. My rn cable would barely make the bracket which was mounted on the opposite side of the manifold. It's perfect now.
So, OEM Square nose is my vote.

oxnard111

Creative RE Purchasing
A square nose in stock form has the cable connect to the throttle butterly on the back side of the engine.

The round nose in stock form has the cable connect to the throttle butterfly on the front side of the engine.

I recently did a single carb conversion on my round nose, utilizing the Riva conversion manifold. I got the cable to stretch by routing it near the top of the gas tank rather than have it route on the bottom of the ski under the batter box. You may be able to get your cable to work by doing this.

The other alternative is to rotate the carb 180 degrees and using a throttle cable re-location bracket. I have heard that NOVI makes this bracket, or you can use a stock 44mm bracket that comes on a square nose (650 and 701) and widen the hole to accomidate the size carb you are using.

Just my $.02

This is strange. I dropped a 760 w/44's in to Kells ski and the cable reached around no problem. Maybe some one put a different cable in before I bought the ski or something. But it came with a 701/38's and it didn't seem to long or anything:dunno:

oxnard111

Creative RE Purchasing
Hello,
Just got my engine back from team scream and it seems as though my thottle cable is not long enough (carbs are rotated), Chuck recommended a squarenose cable.
How much longer is the squarenose cable compared to the roundnose?
Am I better off ordering a new one from Terry Cables and get it a bit longer or is oem the way to go here.
Thanks for all your input.

R.S.

Just re-read your first post, since your running dual carbs don't think you can use the re-location bracket that I mentioned earlier, but definatly try re-routing your cable.
This is strange. I dropped a 760 w/44's in to Kells ski and the cable reached around no problem. Maybe some one put a different cable in before I bought the ski or something. But it came with a 701/38's and it didn't seem to long or anything:dunno:

he rotated the carbs so that the cable bracket is on the back of the engine, that is why he is saying the cable won't reach.

oxnard111

Creative RE Purchasing
The square nose cable casing is 97" long and with the cable its 101" in total length.

good to know...

now another question I would like to add to this thread is, is there any difference in the actual throw length between the two cables? You know, the length of the thin metal cable that sticks out of the sheath?

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
1993 Kawi 750SX cable, with aftermarket carb mounted cable bracket and UMI throttle wheel.

MUCH beefier cable, far better quality, for 27 bucks brand-new.

Keep buying SJ cables. :biggthumpup:

Matt_E

Site Supporter
I bought the cable at www.dgy.com

I have used only the diaphragm mounted cable bracket. Costs around 25 bucks or so. Blowsion and WatCon carry them, for sure.
You don't have to have the bracket to make it work.
The threaded cable sleeve end on the Kawi cable is 10mm, while the SJ cable end is 6mm. The stock Yamaha brackets allow for only 6mm. You can grind that out, or use the aftermarket bracket mentioned which allow for the 10mm end.

You do need the aftermarket throttle wheel with the 12 or so different positions for the cable end piece to allow for proper adjustment.
You will also have to have an aftermarket finger throttle that has to use an adapter for a Yamaha throttle cable.
Why? Because those throttles will allow the Kawi cable to thread right in without the use of an adapter.

oxnard111

Creative RE Purchasing
I bought the cable at www.dgy.com

I have used only the diaphragm mounted cable bracket. Costs around 25 bucks or so. Blowsion and WatCon carry them, for sure.
You don't have to have the bracket to make it work.
The threaded cable sleeve end on the Kawi cable is 10mm, while the SJ cable end is 6mm. The stock Yamaha brackets allow for only 6mm. You can grind that out, or use the aftermarket bracket mentioned which allow for the 10mm end.

You do need the aftermarket throttle wheel with the 12 or so different positions for the cable end piece to allow for proper adjustment.
You will also have to have an aftermarket finger throttle that has to use an adapter for a Yamaha throttle cable.
Why? Because those throttles will allow the Kawi cable to thread right in without the use of an adapter.

my next cable will defiantly be a kawi cable/10mm cable. I hate those stupid cable adapters. Thanks again for your wealth of knowledge Matt.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
With a shorter than stock pole, even the short cable will reach both configurations.

Throttle cables

Her's another solution, but not $27.00 (sorry).. I offer a cable that will work with the diaphrams mounted correctly, has a 6mm thread on the carb end, and has the 10mm threaded throttle end. Many Kawasaki customers have problems with the " stainless" cable guide at the intake manifold breaking, this usually only happens if you make good HP or turn high Rpm. The cable i offer will cure this. http://www.watcon.com/Catalog_Pages/Throttle_Cable.htm

Thanks for looking,
Randy

Top Bottom