Tool Guys, revoke my man card...

SXIPro

JM781 Big Bore
Site Supporter
The first step to fixing a problem is to admit it, and to own it. So here goes.......I've never owned a decent set of screwdrivers. I've got a million crappy ones..ones that came in sets with all sorts of other tools, you know the drill.. "968 piece tool set for $19.99"...and of course some HF sets...

I need ones with hardened tips, both Phillips and flat head. Philips preferably labeled with the 'size'.

I have X-large hands, so skinny handled screwdrivers are out of the question. I also have advancing RA in my hands, so the more comfortable the grip, the better, so sets like the old hard plastic handled Craftsman ones, you know, the ones your Dad had that he bought at Sears.......Clear and red handles with blue collars...those are out of the question, as I might as well have a railroad spike driven thru my palm when I use those.

OK Tool Guys...bring it. I need input please.

Last edited:

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
My dad is the same way. His screwdriver drawer is an absolute joke that makes even the simplest task 10 times more difficult than it needs to be.

I'm an electrician so the only screwdrivers in my toolbox are Klein. There are plenty of knock-offs on the market with similar size and shape so you don't need to get too hung up on the name. My life depends on my mine so I'll spend the extra $$ where you likely won't need to.

I like them for the comfortable rubber grip on both bare and gloved hands and they stand up to chemicals with out breaking down or getting tacky and causing blisters.
I have Wera and Wiha sets as well but find the plastic gets soft when working with fuel and oil and they cause more blistering than the Kleins.

And, they really aren't even that expensive either. Here's a great starter it for under $50.

SXIPro

JM781 Big Bore
Site Supporter
My dad is the same way. His screwdriver drawer is an absolute joke that makes even the simplest task 10 times more difficult than it needs to be.

I'm an electrician so the only screwdrivers in my toolbox are Klein. There are plenty of knock-offs on the market with similar size and shape so you don't need to get too hung up on the name. My life depends on my mine so I'll spend the extra $$ where you likely won't need to.

I like them for the comfortable rubber grip on both bare and gloved hands and they stand up to chemicals with out breaking down or getting tacky and causing blisters.
I have Wera and Wiha sets as well but find the plastic gets soft when working with fuel and oil and they cause more blistering than the Kleins.

And, they really aren't even that expensive either. Here's a great starter it for under $50.
You were the first guy I thought of when I posted this. I was totally hoping you would answer. It's funny, two of my brothers are electricians and they both swear by Klein as well, not only for screwdrivers, but for their pliers and dikes and everything else. I'll give these solid consideration. Thanks again.

OCD Solutions

Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Yeah, I take my tools pretty serious but name brand is not my only consideration. I mix and match to get what I feel are the best tools for the job, not just the best brand.

Screwdrivers: Common drivers = Klein, Instrument or termination = Weidmuller or Wiha
Dikes, angled and straight = Klein
Linesman Pliers = Klein
Wire Strippers - Ideal
Adjustable = 6" = Klein extra capacity jaw, >6" = Proto Click-stop
Water pump pliers = Crescent brand
Pipe wrench = Rigid - aluminum
Combination wrenches = MasterCraft Pro-Series - (Very similar to Snap-On, only 1/10 the cost.)
Cutting tools = Lennox - this includes saw blades, hole saws, hacks-all blades, etc- Honorable mentions go to Dewalt and Milwaukee
Power tools - Almost exclusively Milwaukee with a few exceptions - I still love my Makita Jigsaw and 1/2" D-Handle drill.
Electrical Meters = Fluke, no exceptions! I won't even stand next to somebody using anything else.

Last edited:
You guys ever find that no matter how many different brand screwdrivers you have, that old blue hard plastic craftsman #2 Phillips is the only one that actually fits right?

OCD Solutions

Site Supporter
Vendor Account
You guys ever find that no matter how many different brand screwdrivers you have, that old blue hard plastic craftsman #2 Phillips is the only one that actually fits right?
I have some 3/8" drive screwdriver tips left over from a cheap set of sockets and the Philips tip fits the E-Box screws like no other!
I accidentally snapped it off about a year ago and have not been able to find another like it since.

The Klein 603-6 fits the ebox screws and battery terminals perfect though.

Jr.

Standing Tall
Staff member
Site Supporter
I tend to beat up screwdriver sets, this is the Replacement set I upgraded to a couple months ago.
Kind of the same criteria as yours. So far, really liking them

Wiha 30278 | 7 Piece SoftFinish Slotted and Phillips Screwdriver Set

OCD Solutions

Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Both the Wiha and Wera have excellent Philips head fitment! Their termination screwdrivers are top notch as well.
I just don't care for their handles.
And to be clear, I'm not talking about their comfort while tightening a couple screws, I'm talking about peeling all of the skin off your palm 2hrs in to an 8r day of tightening terminals in a cabinet. I'm typically the guy who spends weeks straight doing cabinet terminations.

The European terminals were all converted to spring loaded types years ago and so I'm thrilled to see the US and Canadian panel shops finally starting to utilize them.

Attachments

• IMG_7187.JPG
    IMG_7187.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IZZN5432.JPG
    IZZN5432.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
After owning several sets of Snap-On and Matco screw drivers sets over the years. I was extremely impressed with the Vessel set I got a year or so ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OCD Solutions

Site Supporter
Vendor Account
I feel like screwdrivers are treated differently than most other tools and many people expect them to last like sockets and wrenches.
Screwdrivers are a wear item and need to be tossed and replaced based on use and wear.
When I was on the tools daily, it was nothing to go through a Philips every couple months and I bought #8 Robertsons, (Canadian standard square tip), by the case!

bird

walking on water
Site Supporter
I feel like screwdrivers are treated differently than most other tools and many people expect them to last like sockets and wrenches.
Screwdrivers are a wear item and need to be tossed and replaced based on use and wear.
When I was on the tools daily, it was nothing to go through a Philips every couple months and I bought #8 Robertsons, (Canadian standard square tip), by the case!
My younger self, using my dads screwdrivers as Ice picks, pry bars, wedges, and any other hole or crevice I could get them into.

I like clean tools. Screw drivers are Snap On and stay in the injected molded plastic case in there own drawer. Also have a ratcheting Matco screwdriver I love.
I have recently purchased some ICON tools (love the ratchets without the plastic handles) there newly released screw driver set is very nice and Sooo cheap. May try a set soon.
G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
Site Supporter
Fock Snap-on “prices”! l love the tool trucks,but after 25 years of buying tools for work,l won’t pay their price for a lifetime warrenty.

That being said, @OCD Solutions l bought a set of Klein screwdrivers yesterday cause it was time.Thanks for the heads up!!

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
Speaking of tools, any recommendations on thin wrenches? Looking for something that makes getting to the inside bpipe mani bolts easier.

hornedogg79

dodgin' bass boats
Harbor freight wrench and a grinder. Heres my b pipe and 550 dual carb wrenches. Cheap af and work great.
c01384aa39ac60e58af5416598768c0a.jpg

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Top Bottom