Torque specs on ADA girdled head?

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
34ftlbs girdle nuts, 23 ftlbs headbolts.

Those aren't the official specs, but if you don't want them backing off, use those.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Thank you! He always helps me, whether it be wrenching in the garage, or toting gas cans bigger than him.
He's great!

34ftlbs girdle nuts, 23 ftlbs headbolts.

Those aren't the official specs, but if you don't want them backing off, use those.
The purpose of torquing isn't only to prevent them from backing off, it also is to prevent bolt and thread damage. 23Ft/Lbs is a little much for a 8mm bolt/thread. If you often R & R the head or bolts, thread damage can occur if over torqued. Its a matter of time. However, if you Helicoil a thread, it is actually stronger and can tolerate 23ft/lbs on an 8mm. If you find yourself needing to over torque to prevent it getting loose, then your threads or bolts may be compromised (provided it has a proper lock-washer or chemical).

I like 18Ft/Lbs for most 8mm bolts and 28Ft/Lbs for 10mm bolts.

T.M.I: Something most never talk or think about when re-using bolts, bolt stretch. On critical assembly and when it allows, this is the proper method used for "torquing" down. Over time a bolt (and nuts) actually fatigues (softens, twists, lenghtens). Nothing can be done to prevent this and its natural. However, bolts should not be reused as often as we reuse them. Lucky for us these aren't mission critical jobs. Technically, studs are so much better it isn't funny. I'm going to also stud my 8mm head.

Last edited:

Matt_E

Site Supporter
I have needed to torque them that high since new.
Multiple builders have stated numbers higher than what I wrote.

The purpose of torquing isn't only to prevent them from backing off, it also is to prevent bolt and thread damage. 23Ft/Lbs is a little much for a 8mm bolt/thread. If you often R & R the head or bolts, thread damage can occur if over torqued. Its a matter of time. However, if you Helicoil a thread, it is actually stronger and can tolerate 23ft/lbs on an 8mm. If you find yourself needing to over torque to prevent it getting loose, then your threads or bolts may be compromised (provided it has a proper lock-washer or chemical).

I like 18Ft/Lbs for most 8mm bolts and 28Ft/Lbs for 10mm bolts.

T.M.I: Something most never talk or think about when re-using bolts, bolt stretch. On critical assembly and when it allows, this is the proper method used for "torquing" down. Over time a bolt (and nuts) actually fatigues (softens, twists, lenghtens). Nothing can be done to prevent this and its natural. However, bolts should not be reused as often as we reuse them. Lucky for us these aren't mission critical jobs. Technically, studs are so much better it isn't funny. I'm going to also stud my 8mm head.

awesome post sanford....

2 key points that are virtually NEVER discussed

bolt stretch (longer the bolt, the more it can stretch..)

the POSITIVES of helicoils

crammit442

makin' legs
The purpose of torquing isn't only to prevent them from backing off, it also is to prevent bolt and thread damage. 23Ft/Lbs is a little much for a 8mm bolt/thread.

The OE Yamaha manual calls for 26Ft/lbs for second round of torque on head bolts. 11 on first round.

Charles

douglee25

m3booooy
Just remember if you're using the socket cap screws for the head portion and not the OEM head bolts, those should only be torqued to around 18 - 20 ft lbs.

Doug

2lick

Brap!!!
So how is a guy to know what to do then...... I have the ADA girled hardware, and soket cap mcmaster head bolts (18-8 I believe... possibly 306)..... I followed the ada instructions.......

douglee25

m3booooy
So how is a guy to know what to do then...... I have the ADA girled hardware, and soket cap mcmaster head bolts (18-8 I believe... possibly 306)..... I followed the ada instructions.......

Mcmaster head bolts torque to 18 - 20 ft. lbs. Use the ADA acorn nuts for the studs and torque them to 30 - 34 ft. lbs.

Done.

Doug

Y

yamaslut

I was told to overtighten my bolts too, but I don't... I tighten them to what ADA says to do... I have never had an issue w/ them comming loose... I really don't think that is an issue...

my method:

15ftlbs head and 18ftlbs girdle

18ftlbs head, 23ftlbs girdle..

re tourque head to 18ftlbs again

go ride...

Torque

Listen to Sanford... He is correct in my opinion, and huge torque values aren't nearly as important as "equal" torque. The factory service book might show high torque numbers, but they were designed to last many years without dis-assembly.

Regards,
Randy

Top Bottom