Other What did you fab up today? A thread for the home fabricators!

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I think I got the tool auto-zero setup today. The probe was already there but there wasn't any scripts to run the button.

I don't really want to get too involved with this because I haven't been actively into the machine shop industry for a few years now aside from just some small time manual milling. So my knowledge is massively forgotten now but I can say that machining tools are only as good as you're willing to pay for. When I was dedicated to working with the Eumach mill at the machine shop I very often would use a range of face milling tools but the most common were the 1.5", 2" and 4" button cutter tools. The nice thing about them is the buttons can be indexed (rotated) one seat position and you have a fresh cutting edge again. They're not cheap but they last a very long time if you are smart about your use with them. Don't allow the buttons to become loose, it does happen but if you pay attention to them you can catch it before it becomes a problem. A loose button will spin over the seat formation and round it out making it useless, the buttons will never stay tight in there again eventually destroying the buttons. It was my favorite cutter to use though. Use all inserts at the same time to remove larger amounts of material, scale back to one insert for facing. The more inserts you use, the slower you need to spin your cutter. Same goes for 4 flute end mills, they don't need to be spun at 10k RPM, it was very common place for me to only need between 1000 and 2500 RPM. Anything faster and we would get too much chatter eventually destroying the end mill. 2 flute end mills can be run faster though but it also depends largely on the materials you're using it on. We primarily used Sandvik tools on our mills, here is a link to the button cutter and one more to their homepage which has a feed and speed calculator for general reference purposes only. The calculator is not setting the standard, only suggestive but should get you close enough for most typical materials.

I appreciate it but I am not ready for expensive tooling yet. The 1/8" endmill I broke was a $40 carbide endmill. The machine came with a lot of good tooling but it's not good for learning. I hope to be moving to that at some point, but I need some cheaper stuff to learn with for now. The "value" tool, a quality tool for a low price, is much more appropriate for me presently than a better quality tool, because, well, bad things are happening here.

Decided to build a tank since I switched to a pfp pipe . Still need to do some finishing work to it and put the battery strap mounts on . Will hold a anti gravity 16cell with turf around the sides .

A6216872-F3C7-41E6-BFED-F1AAF1AC8C51.jpeg
B53476BB-CCFE-47D0-81DC-F0BB26768CD8.jpeg

D5655E2B-BAB4-4285-9E33-3CE47C9069B2.jpeg

smokeysevin

one man with a couch
Finishing this up this week. Still waiting on knobs and some misc hardware.

This is my first "build". The neck is a licensed jackson repro from mighty mite that I got used and in poor shape. The body is an explorer modified for the floyd rose bridge and fender scale length/neck shape. A guy out of florida custom cuts them.

The body is polar dyed in a green burst with leather dye and sealed with poly.

Plays well for not being intonated or setup yet.

Sean

d2ff149153ea1110cb08b7d7bdd0d540.jpg

As cut body

bb94d12b18ceaa8e8d2641e14a244dd5.jpg

Filled the mis-drilled holes in the used neck

d5e2e0fa2c6afacd2dc723b4e19c8c5f.jpg

New holes drilled for threaded inserts

b8a59bc1bed292ac86966434e5fccad3.jpg

3/8-16 to m6*1.0 threaded inserts

7df49713002c7e4d21adc735ec9cb145.jpg

transfer punches to mark hole locations

f6f49598e12a99e02fc98ba061982ba5.jpg

freshly green bursted

6aa1a121f22e13fef8a8151432c4f656.jpg

coated in 6 coats of clear poly

d7e53a1e37482cf4963b0dc2754e3b66.jpg

assembled but missing knobs

SXIPro

JM781 Big Bore
Site Supporter
You Wanted the Best and You Got the Best, the hottest band in the world.....KISS!!!

(Sorry, I see an Explorer, and I immediately think KISS)

Really nice work!!! and you are going to love that Floyd Rose. I had one on a BC Rich Warlock about a million years ago.

smokeysevin

one man with a couch
You Wanted the Best and You Got the Best, the hottest band in the world.....KISS!!!

(Sorry, I see an Explorer, and I immediately think KISS)

Really nice work!!! and you are going to love that Floyd Rose. I had one on a BC Rich Warlock about a million years ago.
Thanks! it was a fun project that I spent too much money to make for something that is now worth less than what I started with. (basically it has a similar ROI to standups)

I am super happy with it and I know I will like it even more the longer I play with it.

I always wanted a Floyd and just now realized I don't know anything that uses it lol I need to start learning some VH.

Sean

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
That's the complete bike 1963 Suzuki colleda 250, it was just a roller with a bent front rim and no engine, transplanted a 125 pit bike engine in it, laced up another rim, new exhaust, tires, handlebars and replaced a lot of missing parts like the rear fender , taillight ,rear shocks and speedometer, repainted front and rear fender , fabbed up an intake manifold and air filter setup, had a custom rear sprocket made and lots of custom fab work was required to get the sprockets aligned correctly. Repainting the sidecovers right now, they were chromed and removing the old chrome has proven to be quite a chore. Fun little cruiser.

Attachments

• IMG_20201226_075344 (2).jpg
    IMG_20201226_075344 (2).jpg
    87 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Top Bottom