X2 intake widening mod

I can think of one or two projects from the other forum where people grafted on sxr pump tunnels, Rad Dudes was selling them and I think still does, that's not really widening but it is a significantly bigger overall (mostly wider) pump tunnel.

There are a bunch of builds on here where people expanded in various ways the pump tunnel on superjets and B1's, and pretty much all aftermarket hulls have big pump tunnels so you can dig up pics of those.

I can't think of any that I've seen where somebody did that on an X2 specifically but it's kind of all the same stuff.

I'm not sure if the sxr tunnel is wider per say cause they're both 140mm pumps however I believe the sxr tunnel is longer and has a much better design which helps water flow better. The sxr tunnel is designed more like aftermarket ski pump tunnels.

I'm not sure if the sxr tunnel is wider per say cause they're both 140mm pumps however I believe the sxr tunnel is longer and has a much better design which helps water flow better. The sxr tunnel is designed more like aftermarket ski pump tunnels.

Spot on, I for some reason brain farted when I said "mostly wider" I meant to say "mostly longer".

I do think it might be a touch wider because people put slightly bigger mag pumps in sxrs with big motors (143 or 145mm), but I have not measured one, basically same width for same 140mm pump.

I made the inlet radius longer on a 650, it works well but I have no way to measure how much better it is. Depending on your power, a good scoop and large hub prop is getting pretty good.

Thanks all for your replys, ive started to mod mine to then test.
Im looking to improve hookup when cornering hard and banked right over so ive widened the "mouth", i will test and report once ive finished the mod.
Thanks again.
Im also truing the hull and cleaning the chines.

I make no claims to be an expert on hull design, but I will pass on some observations.

If you look at any aftermarket racing hull (prowatercraft, Kommander, Bullet, etc) they all have very loooong narrow pump tunnels, gradual transition from the bottom of the hull and the pump is moved back closer to the back of the hull. If you look at the progression from the sx650 to sx750, sxi, sxi pro, sxr, the pump tunnel got progressively longer, and the pump itself got progressively moved back toward the back of the hull. Pump tunnel never got wider, or at least not more than a few mm. Superjet in 08 rear of hull got narrower, pump got moved backward, in this case the tunnel didn't get any longer but it was moved back with the pump and the top of the tunnel got much more square.

Couch tunnels tend to be long and swoopy, not super wide (although some of them are kinda wide because they use such huge pumps).

I think the reason they don't go wider is because as you provide a theoretical smoother flow of water in on the lower side as the ski leans, you are also exposing the upper side to the air so it can loose suction and let go.

I also think that is part of why they move the pump backwards, keeps the pump in the water becuase the ski rides lower in the rear.

My $.02. If I was looking for corner carving I would go long and swoopy, not wider.

Always cool to test stuff though, so if you go through with it report back your findings.

12186270_894238603994178_991268949935346079_o.jpgScreenshot 2020-11-17 213315.jpg

Top Bottom